Poll and Thoughts: Fastest Folder

I would have to say my AFCK due to the hole and nice mechanism. But, I wonder, if the chips are down and I lose my coordination adrenaline dump), would I be better off with something I might not drop - say, a dual studded folder like the Cold Steel Voyager.

I think in a stress situation the Carson flipper design is very easy and reliable. The CRKT M16-04/14's which use these are very fast.(would love to see this in a Spyderco or Benchmade..hint,hint!) The only CS's that are fast and easy for me are my Vaquero's. I also have a gunsite, which is not easy to open at all.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

I'm with TallWingedGoat.... lol... cool name!

Autos are best, otherwise the Emerson...I'm also on a Spyderco Police Model kick this month. The hole in the blade's large enough to get to with shaky hands, and the sight of it might just be enough to scare the hell outta anyone before the situation would escalate into something else.

You might look into a small fixed blade too. I have a Mission Knives MPU that'll fit onto a belt... small enough not to get stares, yet the blade's the equivalent of most folders.

Out of the dozen or so I have it is the Emerson Commander by far. Faster than an auto,no button to search for,just grip the but and draw and it is deployed and ready when it clears the pocket.An added bonus is no hassel with the automatic(switchblade)law.

------------------
Those who beat their arms into plowshares will plow for those who do not

AlMar QuicksilverV 5.5" blade linerlock from one of my homebrew horizontal open-carry rigs.

Megafolders are the fastest! The big heavy blade swings out more reliably via "pure snap" - with the right rig I have very high hopes for the Sifu although I don't think it'll beat the old AlMar. It'll have a FAR more reliable lock though, so for street carry it'll get the nod.

This year's Knifignugen will finally have some draw/cut speed competitions. I intend to race my *folders* against people's fixed blades, and I aim to at least place high. In the "totally concealed" class I'll probably use my Cold Steel Vaquero Grande from a shoulder rig. I'll also with both a fixed blade and a folder in open-carry class. Per Kevin's stated rules, folders aren't going to get their own class, they'll have to race FBs. I think I can actually do that.

Jim March

I'm with James on this one.. The Military is very fast in the deployment area, specially when flicking it open. Very smooth and very fast.
smile.gif

Dan

I'd have to go with the Benchmade 710 Axis. Talk about smooth and fast. Its quick with the thumb stud, but even quicker if you use the lock posts (slide back a little and flick
smile.gif
).....and also takes less movement. I love this set-up!

------------------
Clay G.
www.balisongxtreme.com

For fast I would say my AFCK in the horizontal holster made by Gary Graley
AFCKsheath.jpg

Fast deployment of a very smooth and easy opening knife.

------------------
James

Even though it is an auto, the manual action on my D/A Microtech SOCOM was faster than the auto action. I actually call it triple action, because you can flick your wrist to employ the blade, use the thumb studs, or use the button. The wrist flick brought the blade out with authority.

------------------
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Great responses all. The Commander must be quite a knife but I'm a lefty.

I love the AFCK rig - perhaps that and the "Kasper" treatment described recently by Mr. Poff would also be a good choice.

Agree that a large Vaquero could also be the ticket - but the law here limits me to 4".

A small fixed blade is least complicated but I would need it completely concealed. Cetan?

Great responses all. The Commander must be quite a knife but I'm a lefty.

I love the AFCK rig - perhaps that and the "Kasper" treatment described recently by Mr. Poff would also be a good choice.

Agree that a large Vaquero could also be the ticket - but the law here limits me to 4".

A small fixed blade is least complicated but I would need it completely concealed. Cetan?

The Emerson Commander without a doubt! It's wave mechanism allows for it to be placed about anywhere as long as it has something to hook against while being drawn.

No need to fumble with indexing. It is already in the right position for deployment. Just grab, turn slightly to ensure a positive grab, and pull. The blade is out and ready to rock.

Other than that, most liner locks. Although you have to draw from the pocket and then index, then flick. A little more complicated process than the Commander.

The Commander takes away all the competition!

Ed

------------------
AKTI Member A000360

[This message has been edited by EdwardB (edited 29 August 1999).]

No competition, it's the Emerson Commander, All you do is grab and pull. You have to grab and pull every other knife also, however with every other knife, excluding fixed blades, you need to either find and push a button or flick them or have the blades so loose that the blade could open in your pocket. Somebody else may utilize a gadget that acts the same way as the Emerson wave feature but I am not aware of it, if so then I stand corrected.

AFCK without a doubt. Mine is so smooth and natural all I have to do is think about it and it is open.

James,

That sheath is gorgous! I dont like belt sheaths but I might be able to live with something like that.

Is the pocket clip still there or has it been removed?

Mike

In a factory state, the Emerson Commander is by far the fastest opening non-auto ever, maybe even the fastest folder, period.

The fastest knife I own is actually a piece a lot of people might not think of, the Benchmade 350s. The small Mel Pardue manual linerlock of the 3500 auto. Think about it, the blade is small and thin, it rides on metal washers that can easily be tapped to be thinner, and it's a linerlock. By far, the fastest manual knife I have ever owned. Next to that would have to be the MOD Trident, it is a very smooth and fast folder with no opening drag and superior gripping to accomidate every grip you can throw at it.

------------------
Robert Joseph Ansbro

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -Stanley Kubrick, 1928-1999

www.Cinematopia.com

I am the moderator on the forum "The Balcony" located at Cinematopia, please come support this brand new site

Back