Poll and Thoughts: Fastest Folder

Well I'm with James Mattis here. I had an AFCK in M2 and have handled the Emerson. But my plum still is the Spyderco Military period
smile.gif
!

-=[Bob]=-

I was under the impression that my axis lock 710 was the fastest non-auto folder avail., until I tried out a Commander the other day, and man, it was fast, I just held it in my hand, and flicked it, without using the notch or the thumb disc, and it was open in a heartbeat faster than my axis, due to it's heavier blade(I think
smile.gif
), but the liner engaged all the way across the blade, until it hit the opposite liner, and it was a pain in the heiny to unlock(took two hands
wink.gif
).

------------------
I need a bigger bucket.

Flicking bad!
smile.gif

But if you godda flick, thumb stud's are the way to go. My Sebenza comes out as fast as anything. I had a Kershaw 2415 (2 1/2") that would beat any auto but that blade length shouldn't count. Wrist snaps shouldn't count either because the knife can fly out of your hand in certain nervous situations. Thumb hole's require to much lateral leverage and thumb disc's don't have enough contact area, both challenge your thumb to glance off the side. IMHO. The Sebenza, Lepord cub and others have sharp little ridges on the stud to dig in to your thumb. Studs are the fastest.

Out of a pocket
no 1 is the Commander
no 2 is the Military

I have auto's and AFCK etc - none are as fast out of the pocket as the above no 1 and 2.

The Microtech HALO may be the fastest folder to deploy for two reasons:
1) The Kydex sheath lets you grasp the entire handle in a strong, usable grip.
2) You can press the firing button as soon as the handle leaves the sheath, without having to fumble for a special grip that clears your digits from the blade's opening path. Under stress, that special grip might easily be problematic.

Of course, you need two hands to close the damn thing, and the handle leaves something to be desired in the ergonomics department.

i own almost all the knives mentioned in this thread and i have to say the emerson commander is unbeaten as far as quick deployment, it is faster than any auto you put against it and it as quick as pulling a fixed blade in kydex on a reverse grip quick draw, tried many,love some ,but the commander rules as far as speed.
scorpio.

I'd have to say the BM705 Mini AxisLock. It is as fast, or possibly faster than my BM2500 MiniReflex. The BM710 is definitely a fast opener, but it's smaller brother smokes it.

When it gets down to it, I think most of the modern tactical folders, auto's and manuals, are all quite fast and I doubt the differences would be noticeable in most real situations. Besides, without a machine to test opening speed, it's all subjective.

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Do butterfly knives count? I know I can open my BM45 just as fast as my auto stiletto(piece of s**t knife). And I can close it much faster.

I too second the Military as my fastest folder. This is my one folder I would absolutely take with me in any situation.
My second choice would be my Vaquero Grande. I don't have a Commander, but I can't see how it could be faster to make that much of a difference.

In non auto linerlocker, my Ken Onion is simply very fast to open:none faster in non autos unless you count Commander that opens as you draw it out. I might break down some day and bu.y a Commander. I like that comment on the HaloII and how quick to open from its sheath. Mine sits in a display case,but what a awesome knife! Dont laugh,but a real fast liner locker is the Master knife copy of Bm knife.

Just to add some info, the AFCK sheath above is a right side horizontal belt sheath, and the clip is removed from the knife. You remove the knife by gripping it with the thumb and forefinger and pulling. The knife is in your hand and ready to be thumbed, flicked or eased open.

I also have similar rigs that Gary made for my large and small Sebenzas
smile.gif

------------------
James

I gotta go with Dogman, my DA SOCOM is extremely fast to snap open (wrist or thumb) the auto button is for recreational opening.

I have a large Kershaw Talon w/o the detente in the liner-lock. I't is the fastest opening/pocket-cutting knife I've ever played with.
Aaron

------------------
amacks@nist.gov
Don't forget to pay your taxes...they eventually become my knives:)

So where are the comparative times? Isn't anybody testing different folders for opening speed side-by-side. Wouldn't that be the only way to tell, actually time the same person with the same amount of practice time with each of the favorites listed above?

One folder is no faster than another. Put two folders side-by-side on a table and they will both open with equal speed.

Folders are so slow it really is nonesense to talk about which one a given person can open the fastest. If you don't have it in your hand with your thumb on the opener when trouble strikes, you better forget about it until the bell rings at the end of the round and draw it then.

Harv

Well, I just got back from Golden and among the many wondrous sights was Sal's opening technique. Imagine as fast as you think a person might possibly produce a knife (any knife, even a fixed-blade). Now imagine about 1/3 of that time. Faster than your jaw can drop.

Now, I'm no slouch with the "drop" technique myself, but I admit that I have quite a biot to learn. Because I always sorta pictured going into a thrust (except with the Civilian), I was uneasy making the initial strike while my thumb and forefinger were on the hole. "Hopping" to a proper grip adds some time (though I'll still beat anyone I know if they use a disc or stud). Forget that! Keep your hands on the hole and go for the slash - probably the best move in a stressed situation anyhow, as it's less targetted.

Of course, now it'll take me months to "unlearn" the hop-up part of my deployment, and years to get anywhere near as fast as Sal with his technique. That's the key idea to this thread - practice. Any opening technique must be "hard-wired" into your muscles to be fast and reliable under pressure. I'm still intrigued by "the Wave" for the ease with which folks seem to pick up its use... but fastest? I dunno, you should go talk to Sal if you think it's so fast
wink.gif

-Drew

Akula57:

E-mail me for a person selling a Commander for a very reasonable price. Unless you want to get one NIB.

Ed

------------------
AKTI Member A000360

Maybe I missed it but nobody seems to have mentioned the Kershaw Random Task family of knives. The only thing that prevents them from being called switchblades, I assume, is the lack of a button. They sure do perform like switchblades, though. They just use the thumb stud instead of a button.

------------------
Fred
Knife Outlet
www.knifeoutlet.com

Back