Poll: Seconds? As in: Secondary Blade? Secondary Tool? Secondary Knife? Or Not? Multiples?

Preferred Carry?

• Single Blade, Folder or Fixed - Why Would You Need More?

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Two Blades, One Larger and One Smaller - Best of Both Worlds!

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • Two Blades, Both Similar Size - Heck, Longer Time Between Sharpening and I Can Skin and Pierce!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • One Blade and One Tool (Awl, Punch, Scissors, Opener, Etc.) - Yeah, I Can Open That Bottle...

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Give Me Three or More Blades! I Need to Spay Some Livestock and then Sharpen My Quill Pen...

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Multiple Tools and Blades for Me! - Give Me the Saw, Spear Blade, Tweezers, Can Opener, or Whatever!

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Main Carry Plus Secondary Carry - Its Logical, I Swear I Am Not a Knife Nut!

Votes: 50 38.5%

• Total voters
Main and secondary for me as well.
Today it’s a Mudbug and a Vic Cadet.
I would love a no-blade Cadet or Pioneer. Lose the main blade and replace with scissors.

There is a "pioneer X" That is an extra spring wide with scissors on it, but it's a bit bulky for me.

But yes, a cadet with scissors instead of a blade would be perfect!

I chose main and secondary even though I've added a little fixed blade lately. I never carry multi-tools.
Pictures speak louder then words sometimes.

D7SODJm.jpg

Chose single blade, because that's what I carry MOST of the time. My Navy Knife gets the most miles (worry free carry due to SS blade), but my #83 and Russlock get carried or used to quite a bit.

I also carry my #89 two blade, and just got a Case Sowbelly I'll be trying out, so I'm not against multiple blades.

I hate unnecessary bulk in my pockets, so I typically only carry one, but being an Eagle Scout, I do prepare myself for times when I may need something different. On Christmas I'll have my Navy knife for opening packages, clampacks, (also easy for others to use) - probably a second folder in case one gets commandeered, and my Leatherman for any assembly that may be needed.

To be honest though, anything is better than nothing.

95% of the time I carry an alox Cadet along with a primary multiblade slipjoint. Occasionally I substitute a single blade for the multiblade, and it may be a locker or a slipjoint, I have plenty of both.

I'm with Jeff on this one. I keep an SAK Waiter, because it does pretty much everything I need from an EDC tool, and then another "ooh-ahh" knife, because I like knives.

I voted 3 or more.
My normal EDC comprises of 3 knives.
1) Large Stockman
2) SAK Huntsman or a 4 blade "scout" knife.
3) Buck 110 or a sunfish (in a sheath) on the belt.
Some days I will also add a large trapper or canoe.
One of the advantages of a traditional knife, in my humble opinion, is not being limited to just one blade. Since no one blade profile is "ideal" for every task, I carry more than one knife, to increase the chance I'll have a blade suitable for whatever task comes up.

While I have and carry some multibladed traditionals, I generally prefer a single blade knife as they tend to be more comfortable in use, having said that, I’ve got the forum 35 in pocket today,lol! I always carry my K’roo Chunky Drunk as well so I’ve got the extra tools covered. If I know I’m likely getting some extra chores to do I throw my Leatherman in too. Also I tend to carry a modern folder with me as well but my traditional sees 90% of my daily knife use so for that knife, I like a single blade.

I'm openly and unihibitedly promiscuous as far as knives go :D

Many different patterns tempt me on different days according to my current mood. I don't need 4 blades so Congress I steer clear of and multitools are for a pack or the car, I'm not keen on thick heavy knives either, 3 thick Stockmans are not my thing and I only like Stockmans with low riding Sheepfoot and preferably a pen blade.

That said, I usually veer towards singles and lockers at that, but a single-spring 2 blades is really ideal. The recent Churchill has really impressed me, good size Clip and a low riding Sheepfoot. Nevertheless, I soon want change and that's why I love to carry different patterns and why I can't vote in the poll:cool:

One larger blade and a smaller secondary.

One knife with two blades. The smaller one is mostly for general cutting tasks and always kept darn sharp. The bigger one I use mostly for food prep. I don´t like to have any clue rests on my food when I was opening a package before. And I like the smaller circles a small blade has for delicate cutting tasks.

BTW it didn't let me pick 2 choices

I don't know what I did wrong and haven't been able to edit it. I will mess with it a little later....

View attachment 814101 I gravitate toward one bigger and one smaller blade. The best I could get out of the model # was 1208. Someone (dad) buffed the knife to try to clean up the blades. Have a good weekend.

I noticed you have been posting some pens vaporstang so I thought I’d throw one back at ya

Much appreciated and beautiful! I am liking the knives that have a patina and some wear marks more and more.

-----------------------------
I like the "warm and fuzzy" sentiment in this thread - never thought of it that way!

Currently my favorite knife to carry is an old Taylors Eye Witness that has a Sheepsfoot and small Pen because it is a fantastic knife . I actually prefer to carry a Single Bladed knife because I can usually make do with whatever blade I have with me . I also prefer to have another knife with me that has Stag Covers and carry it in a pocket slip . Having a Stag covered knife with me just gives me that feel good feeling or warm & fuzzy feeling .

Harry

I like them all. Jacks, Stockmen, trappers, single blades...I rotate daily, because I’m crazy like that.
Doing farm work, I like to have a leatherman and a big Klein folder on my belt, besides what’s in my pocket. A multitool or sak can save a long walk to the toolbox or truck.

I’m really fond of the Camillus 23 big jack knife with two different size blades.

If I could only have one knife on me, it would probably be a TL29.

Ideally I like a few tools, though just one tool is better than nothing.

That being said I've been carrying a Buck 110 because I like that almost-fixed blade feel and full fisted grip for cutting pallet strapping and such at work.

Last edited:
SAK Huntsman no matter what. Second knife is a lockback usually. Third knife in the watch pocket. I rotate what I carry except for the Huntsman.

SAK Alox Mini Champ on key-ring. Rarely used, but handy enough to keep there. Also, the ultimate no-reaction-from-others small cutting tool.

Case Peanut or similar small slipjoint, usually in jeans watch pocket. Plenty for small tasks like opening envelopes or cutting packing tape on boxes.

"Something else." This is my actual pocket knife of the day. Most often, this is a small-to-medium sized stockman pattern. Case 6344 - 63087 - 6318 - 6347/3347. Though sometimes a 1 or 2 blade Jack, Trapper, or Barlow pattern fill this niche. Today for example, I have a GEC #12 Powderhorn Jack in my pocket.

Unless I have some specfic stuff to do that day, like home handyman stuff, I don't give that much thought to it. Just whatever strikes my fancy, or whatever I was carrying yesterday that doesn't need sharpening.

Back