Poor outlook for Canadian knife enthusiasts

Good thing we share the largest unprotected border in the world with our biggest supplier.

Making something illegal just means you can't buy it in a store with your credit card.

Good job putting a small dent in the knife market supply chain CBSA... and thanks for making millions of honest citizens into paper criminals overnight. Eat a d1ck you wankers!

The sky isn't falling.

Protip, on about the 12th thread on this.

If the CBSA seizes your 12 Kershaw skylines or whatever just have it sent back. Don't try to be the smartest guy in the room and take it to the tribunal. They'll rag doll you.

They'll remain legal in Canada, regardless of the Tribunal's idiotic decision.

The Border just loves making its own set of rules that don't jive with the law of the land.
Somehow, I have a strong feeling that all these legal in Canada knives will somehow find a way into the country...and into my pockets. ;)

The sky isn't falling.

Protip, on about the 12th thread on this.

If the CBSA seizes your 12 Kershaw skylines or whatever just have it sent back. Don't try to be the smartest guy in the room and take it to the tribunal. They'll rag doll you.

And here I thought I was contributing to the community since this was just released a few days ago. I'll work on that search button! Haha

I feel for you guys. Had the same thing happen here in Australia back in 2012 when the customs guys made up their own set of rules contrary to the law of the land. Eventually got overturned in 2015 because it was costing too much to enforce.

To my Canadian bretherin, while not a perfect solution:

When ordering knives that have to cross the border ask the sender to tighten down the pivot so that way the blade can barely move. That way the blade cannot be flicked open.

Some knives such as some on bearings even if you tighten down the pivot the blade is still free enough that it can be flicked. Ask who is sending the knife to you to check if the knife can still be flicked with the pivot fully tightened. In this case ask them to take the blade out of the knife and ship it in with the rest of the knife (tell them to put tape over the edge)

Finally when they write the declaration of what the item is put “camping gear” instead of “knives”

The way I read the decision, they can go off of design as well as actual operation, so I wouldn't be shocked if they start a running list, or just can all flippers. As for the "camping gear" thing, they are more than likely running everything through the xray anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked if that just annoyed them more.

Its all a gamble.

The way I read the decision, they can go off of design as well as actual operation, so I wouldn't be shocked if they start a running list, or just can all flippers. As for the "camping gear" thing, they are more than likely running everything through the xray anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked if that just annoyed them more.

Its all a gamble.

Idk, they have let balisongs through in the past.

You are overreacting and misinterpreting the Law.

What is prohibited:

1) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives,
The Benchmade Axis lock may fall into this category

2) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives including those assisted in opening by flipping action

3) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives whose blades can be open with a flick of the wrist

4) Knives that can be open by or assisted by a flipping or flicking system not part of the blade

What is not prohibited:

1) Knives that open with a flipping action from the blade part of the knife

They also miss heroin from time to time. Anyone know if Critter would take poutine as payment for his services?

Sorry I messed up the last post. I meant to say they have allowed balisongs into the country with their blade taken out. (Disassembled balisongs) That is why I believe the blade being taken out will get the knife through. There is no way they can see if it will flip or not.

I have heard they are targeting flipper knives. I don’t know how true that is.

It will be interesting to see how officials apply these new standards. Gravity knives are illegal in numerous US jurisdictions. Unfortunately, some of these jurisdictions apply the term very broadly. For instance, if the knife can be whipped open using centrifugal force, then it is an illegal gravity knife, regardless of the design. If you live in a jurisdiction like this, then you have to make sure that your knife's pivot is adjusted tightly so that it can't be whipped open easily.

I realize this isn't a perfect parallel. For one thing, the topic of this thread regards what can be imported, not what can be possessed. I'm just making the point that this could go in a couple of different directions. Time will tell how CA officials choose to apply these new standards.

You are overreacting and misinterpreting the Law.

What is prohibited:

1) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives,
The Benchmade Axis lock may fall into this category

2) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives including those assisted in opening by flipping action

3) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives whose blades can be open with a flick of the wrist

4) Knives that can be open by or assisted by a flipping or flicking system not part of the blade

What is not prohibited:

1) Knives that open with a flipping action from the blade part of the knife

Practically any blade that can be flicked or flipped open by part of the blade (thumbstud, flipper tab, etc) can be shaken out of the handle into engagement if shaken with a sharp downwards snap of the wrist. (Without touching the blade) they have used this to confiscate knives as “gravity knives” that is why i suggest tightening the pivot.

Been dealing with overzealous border and customs control for years here in Denmark, it's extremely painful.

In order to get a knife into the country we have to use premium couriers like FedEx or UPS.

Our national postal service refuse to handle anything that remotely resembles a weapon.

I've had a Leatherman Charge TI send back because the postal service wouldn't handle it since it had a knife...

Back