Post Mortem Reflections: CS dead?

Greetings, everyone!

I haven't been on bladeforums for a while. Nothing much seemed to be going on in the knife world in the past year or so, and especially with the demise of Cold Steel, not much to talk about.

When I say "demise" of CS, I mean the old Lynn Thompson inspired CS, not this bogus entity GSM. It's been pretty much as most of us figured. GSM making mostly stupid products and charging exorbitant prices. A few old guard models still being made, but again, with exorbitant prices.

I did pick up a Warcraft Tanto 12 in the SS 4034 a while back because it had a really good price, about 80 clams if I recall. That is near the limit that I'd pay for a SS 4034 knife. I have yet to use it, though, so cannot comment on how the edge retention holds up. The handle is real light, but feels very cheap. And it is indeed cheap, light plastic. Pretty good balance and feel though. I'm going to use it as a beater knife.

Before that, I picked up a Facon, a gaucho style knife. Typically Lynn Thompson styled, in that it's absolutely huge, good bang for your buck kind of thing. At the time, I was thinking that it might be the last CS knife I'd ever get.

Other than those two pickups, I haven't done much CS shopping in a long while. I have definitely moved on to other knife companies as well as custom knives. At the prices charged by CS these days, I see no reason why I shouldn't spend that kind of money on other brands and customs and semi-customs. GSM is pricing itself out of the market for me.

How goes it with y'all? Cold Steel dead for you too?

No, they still have knives and other products I like and don't have yet, and even if GSM messes them up it will take a while for them to do so.

I won't buy their machetes until they fix their stupid new "flat edge" and even then I'd need to wait until these dull machetes are already off the market.

One of the positive features of the CS machete line was that they had good edges for machetes, and by making machetes with no edge where the owner not only has to sharpen the machete but has to grind an edge onto it, while also significantly increasing the price, they made useless tools that can't really compete with the other machetes makers.

If they keep introducing stupid new products like those ridiculous "shuriken" and discontinue their better products, and they eventually mostly make junk, I'll lose interest in them.

Recently I've been looking at other knife Brands as well. And with the prices that GSM wants you can get a really nice blade from somewhere else. I don't know if I've bought my last cold steel knife. Every time I go to add one to my cart, I delete it. And move on. I've got plenty of Cold Steel Knives, so it doesn't make me no never mind if they went out of business tomorrow. Which could happen

As long as Taiwan knives remain quality - CS's not dead.
What you say is the true. But the part that I cannot understand is the poor customer service, lack of parts, customer service that has no idea what a knife is, you talking to someone in Idaho when their headquartered in Texas, it's not the knives that are bad really at least not yet, but they're doing this to themselves. Did you read the warranty on the new Cold Steel package? It's absolutely in their favor.

Not dead, but winding down for me. I'm picking up odds and ends that I wanted left over from the old lines, but every year it's less and less. The new GSM stuff leaves me flat, and when I open up the boxes, I keep wondering when I'll get a really disappointing one.

Agree, it’s definitely “fading away”…IMHO. I’m also getting the feeling this forum is winding down. But it’s all good, I have more than enough CS knives;)

I just realize that I've purchased more CS knives in the past year and a half or so than I have between my first CS knife (Urban Skinner in 1985) and the summer of 2021.

A bookstore had Recon Tantos on sale for $30.00 each so I bought one to see how good they were and then bought some more, and then saw the Master Tanto and Magnum Tanto in my recommendations, and came here to read reviews of these knives, and learned CS was sold.

Not counting machetes, swords, tomahawks, training tools, etc. as well as not counting knives I bought as gifts, I bought 20 CS knives from 1985 to the summer of 2021 and from the summer of 2021 to a few days ago I bought 21 CS knives.

Of course the more knives on my collector list I get the less I have to buy, so that list has become much smaller.

As Tom Petty says, I "don't come around here no more."
The spell has broken for me. I will enjoy my previous purchases, but I'm not buying any more CS.
I will leave CS to a new generation who has no idea about the good old days.
So what are you looking to get next? As for me I'm looking into ZT or Spyderco. I'm not sure yet

So what are you looking to get next? As for me I'm looking into ZT or Spyderco. I'm not sure yet
Before I got all "tactical" and "hard use," I purchased SAKs, Bucks, and Moras. I will probably not buy as much stuff, and when I do, it will be more along the traditional lines.
Don't get me wrong, CS was a lot of fun and their shovel and hawks are great tools that I will treasure. However there are other makers of good tools, and I want to buy less from the nation sending balloons over my country.

I've been spending my discretionary funds on Twosun models...impressive F&F, very reasonable prices, top drawer materials, lots of original <read: not clones> models from both in-house and independent designers.

All that combined with the panache they showcase on some truly uniquely styled creations-- it makes for a really fulfilling collecting experience.

Here's a sampling...I've got under $200 in both these off gray market-- but hell, even brand new, they're around $120 give/take...big 'ol slabs of monolithic Ti, sculpted pocket clips, ceramic bearings, excellent detents, quality D2 steel...these are mint, but on my user TS's with D2, I've found it to be a great tool steel that's relatively easy to get a tough toothy <400 grit> working edge....

Check out those killer grinds :cool: :

6Or4u4K.jpg

6Or4u4K.jpg

xwLIve8.jpg

K4l0Xi4.jpg

EoVIj6W.jpg

03S6gKF.jpg

eUH4UHe.jpg

tABzjDn.jpg

I felt the 2023 product roll-out was very lackluster. You gotta admit, LT’s over the top promos and enthusiasm was very unique and very 1980’s-ish, LOL! I’m missing the 80’s more and more everyday, especially with all the insanity going on in the country now, but I digress. A CS Rep visited the board but seems to have disappeared…was hoping we’d get an update on spare parts availability, etc.

Back