Post Mortem Reflections: CS dead?

Recently I've been looking at other knife Brands as well. And with the prices that GSM wants you can get a really nice blade from somewhere else. I don't know if I've bought my last cold steel knife. Every time I go to add one to my cart, I delete it. And move on. I've got plenty of Cold Steel Knives, so it doesn't make me no never mind if they went out of business tomorrow. Which could happen
I also look at their stuff but almost always move on. Whereas before GSM, maybe I would've pulled the trigger on buying. The move to GSM has simply made me lose much of my interest in Cold Steel.

What you say is the true. But the part that I cannot understand is the poor customer service, lack of parts, customer service that has no idea what a knife is, you talking to someone in Idaho when their headquartered in Texas, it's not the knives that are bad really at least not yet, but they're doing this to themselves. Did you read the warranty on the new Cold Steel package? It's absolutely in their favor.
Yeah, for sure, they are doing it to themselves. It must be because GSM now calls the shots on employees, warranty, etc. So getting rid of all those employees saves a lot of money. Zero customer service, no warranty? GSM doesn't care. They only care about selling knives and products, maximizing profit. They couldn't care less about servicing customers.

Agree, it’s definitely “fading away”…IMHO. I’m also getting the feeling this forum is winding down. But it’s all good, I have more than enough CS knives;)
Yeah, not like the old days. But this forum still comes alive every so often when someone puts up a post kicking GSM in the ass!

I'm not a fortune teller, I'm not a Swami, but I don't think they're going to be in business long as far as the cold steel division. The reason why I think this is look at some of the things they sell, Chinese feeders I think. Hunting blinds Etc. I don't know why they bought Cold Steel. But I'm not a businessman so.....

So what are you looking to get next? As for me I'm looking into ZT or Spyderco. I'm not sure yet
Well, if I may interject, I'm looking mostly at Bark River, Busse, Dawson, Tops, Ontario. Customs as well available at arizonacustomknives and nordicknives.

Also found a fabulous website "martialartswords.com" for katanas. With such a generic name, they are hard to find on a web search because the search results bury them in a mountain of bs. Hand made in Korea using L6 steel, and shipped out of Canada, with what looks like supreme quality and great reviews by users, what's not to like? Haven't ordered from MAS yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.

I'm not a fortune teller, I'm not a Swami, but I don't think they're going to be in business long as far as the cold steel division. The reason why I think this is look at some of the things they sell, Chinese feeders I think. Hunting blinds Etc. I don't know why they bought Cold Steel. But I'm not a businessman so.....
That's hard to say. They might be around forever or they might go bankrupt in a few years. After sucking out all the blood, GSM might turn around and sell CS to some other outfit.

I didn't understand XL Espada, either till I bought one.

But, I know what you're getting at. Some of Twosun's styles are way out there. Not for everybody. They make more traditional patterns, too.

What's a "weehawk"? Is this a weehawk....

I say, I say, I say, that looks like a wee hawk!

It like waiting around for a corpse to get up and dance. There was a time when we looked forward to the annual Cold Steel catalog, now we just glance at it and cringe.

n2s
And the paper catalogs are gone now, right? All I'm aware of is the online catalog in pdf, but I've lost interest in CS. Won't even be downloading their online catalog.

And they need to bring back the Broken Skull in XHP, and a Trailmaster in O1 for about 150 bucks.
Yes, but that's precisely it. Trailmaster in O-1 won't be coming back for a good price like 150. We'll be lucky if we find 'em in 4034 SS for 120 bucks. If GSM ever makes TM again in good carbon steel, they'll probably charge a ridiculous price like 250. CS was always about getting good bang for your buck, but those days are long gone.

Yes, but that's precisely it. Trailmaster in O-1 won't be coming back for a good price like 150. We'll be lucky if we find 'em in 4034 SS for 120 bucks. If GSM ever makes TM again in good carbon steel, they'll probably charge a ridiculous price like 250. CS was always about getting good bang for your buck, but those days are long gone.
For big carbon steel bowies, the answer is Ontario. Made in the USA.

The trailmaster and recon scout havent materialized in 4034 i guess its a good thing; if you look up 4034 its described as a low end steel,hardly fitting for any Cold Steel bowie knife...
Not many knives made in 4034 SS. The only one I am aware of is the "Boker Bowie" with about an 8 inch blade. It was made out of 4034 for a while. I never pulled the trigger on it because (1) it's only an 8 inch blade, which is small for a bowie and (2) it was made out of pot metal crap stainless and (3) they were charging an arm and a leg for it. Now Boker has changed the steel. It's now made of N690 SS and they now charge two arms and two legs for it! For that price, I could get a custom knife. I think I'll pass.

Back