Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

Replacing my Osprey Atmos 65 with this Mystery Ranch Glacier, some MLD hip belt pockets too. Attaching the reflectex for my hammock set on the Atmos without side straps was always a pain and I was always fighting with the damn thing. Much better layout on the Glacier for me.
shQo1QV.jpg

over 7k rounds of ammo :eek: i think i have enough for this weekend or two :D

1k federal xm193 5.56.

federal_xm193_zpsgit0bcxm.jpg

1k federal .45 acp.

federal_45_zpswwquikvi.jpg

3k federal 9 mm.

federal_9mm_zpsxt0v3zsu.jpg

2k wolf 7.62x39 and 160 red army 7.62x39.

wolf_red_army_762x39_zpsqzcanxoo.jpg

i picked it up a few days ago, a kel-tec sub2000 9 mm (uses glock 17 mags)....almost there! on monday i'm picking up a gen 5 glock 17 to complete my peasant guns collection, hehe.

kel_tec_g17_sub2000_zps9enbahlk.jpg

I just bought an ESEE camp lore PR4, and an ESEE Expat Libertariat Machete
Waiting to get them in the mail . . .

leg hog, Thanks, I remember seeing the Norwegian made compass the first time you posted it. Looks like there are 400 "Radians" ? I worked for the company that sold Vector Laser range Finders to the US Military and the Army version could measure azimuths in 360 degrees, 6400 mils, 6000 mils or 400 Gons Is a Gon the same as a Radian? I see current Silva's made in Sweden, Finland and found a photo of one made in Indonesia. Do you collect compasses? If so Sportsmans Guide is selling a Polish one using the 6000 mils bezel. John

Last edited:
Sadly, it's impossible to get any info on vintage compasses from Silva SE. The current company didn't keep the records. In correspondence, their representative even told me they never made anything but liquid damped compasses. I was able to show her she was wrong, but that really didn't help the situation in getting any info since historical company records no longer exist.

leg hog, I am not surprised you could not get a good answer, especially after Silva has passed thru so many different hands. Back in about 2003 we were doing Outdoor Training for Chrysler Motors, specifically Jeep 101's and Camp Jeep, I taught Map & Compass. We had Silva Compasses and I noticed they started to say "Finland" on them. I asked the lady who represented Silva and her reply was "I do not want to talk about it". I expect that was when Silva was owned by Fiskars and I am attempting to find out if they were actually made by Suunto. I found a photo of a Silva marked "Indonesia" and understand they may have a factory in China too. If you are into different compasses, Google "Valada Optics. (OIR) and check their catalog for the Pathfinder Compass. It is all metal and weights a ton! John

North American Silva (Johnson Outdoors) compasses are made in Asia. Johnson Outdoor and Silva AB are in an agreement for Silva Sweden AB to (RE) acquire Silva's North American trademark rights (to be effective one month from today). I'm willing to bet Silva compasses marketed in North America will still be made in China.

The Finland marked compasses would be from when Fiskars bought the trademark (2004 or 2006 timeframe). Since then, Fiskars sold "Silva Sweden AB" to Karnell AB, a Swedish investment group. Silva is now an international group of companies with its products made in Sweden and China.

The Valdada IOR looks very interesting. Thanks for leading me to it. Can you recall its accuracy and whether it was liquid damped ot induction damped?

Last edited:
leg hog, no liquid in the IOR compass and I just read thru the accompanying manual and no indication of the accuracy. John

leg hog, you are more than welcome. I have a Canadian Military Silva Ranger I trade a folding cot to a Canadian Paratrooper for. It is in mils (6400) and up where the lid hinges by the 360/0 location is a about a 1/4 inch long strip of luminous material. I was on a Scuba Team and lensatic compasses did not do well around salt water. I found I could order regular Silva Rangers thru the Army's Orienteering program. I wrote to Silva of Canada and asked if I could order 12+ of those small luminous material strips, which allowed you to set or change your azimuth at night. I figured a small drill and some super glue and we would be good to go. Got nice letter back from Canada but unfortunately they could not sell me the strip as of radioactivity. Apparently if you held that strip next to your reproduction organ for 10,000 years you might go sterile. John

Back