• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Postal Packages

I’m in this myself, one package will be a week late tomorrow. It was last seen arriving at distribution center. Another package is now late, left a distribution center on the day it was suppose to be delivered.
Crossing fingers that they will get there. But it has to be a shipping mess out there :-( :-(

I currently have 3 packages that are between a week and a half and two weeks late, with tracking showing "Arriving late, delivery date unknown".

Considering that for less than $2.50 a week Amazon can consistently and reliably get packages to me in 1 to 2 days, you would think a business like the USPS that's been around for 228 years or so would have it figured out by now...

If you guys could see how overwhelmed the system is you would understand. Everyone is ordering online this season- I could deliver my route twice a day and still have more!!! I know our carriers are busting their asses to keep their customers packages arriving as close to normal as possible. Have some patience.

I currently have 3 packages that are between a week and a half and two weeks late, with tracking showing "Arriving late, delivery date unknown".

Considering that for less than $2.50 a week Amazon can consistently and reliably get packages to me in 1 to 2 days, you would think a business like the USPS that's been around for 228 years or so would have it figured out by now...

Thanks to the USPS! You are welcome!!

Actually, my Amazon packages are now being delivered by Amazon vans, not USPS... So, at least around here (central North Carolina) Amazon packages aren't bogging down the USPS system too much. I have more than one Priority Mail package that's been sitting a "regional postal center" for several days, and some that we mailed in November and still haven't been delivered. I ordered a knife from GPKnives recently and they offered free US post office shipping, I paid $10 extra for FedEx because I want to get it in less than a week, and I don't want to sweat it out getting lost. It wasn't an inexpensive knife.

I appreciate what you and the other local postal carriers are doing! Including my carrier, who I personally know pretty well. I think the problem is not primarily with the local carriers. I don't have packages or mail where the tracking states that it's been sitting with the carrier for 5-6 days....

And what really confuses me - maybe you or someone else with detailed knowledge of the postal system can explain? is how can I receive, today, a Priority Mail package that tracking shows was received by the USPS on December 4th, and passed thru the closest 'regional distribution center' on December 8th, but I've got other Priority Mail packages that get 'stuck' in that SAME 'regional distribution center' for days / weeks at a time? and have been sitting there since BEFORE the one I received today was shipped?!?

If you guys could see how overwhelmed the system is you would understand. Everyone is ordering online this season- I could deliver my route twice a day and still have more!!! I know our carriers are busting their asses to keep their customers packages arriving as close to normal as possible. Have some patience.

Just realized I have 8 packages inbound...stuff ordered between Dec 2 and 9. This ought to be interesting...

That's great and all but I've still got delayed packages from before Thanksgiving (11/21 is now my most delayed package). All of my UPS packages are moving and arriving like normal. Amazon isn't missing a beat. I'm not saying this is the fault of the carriers or the average worker, I'm sure they are working as hard as they can. This is a top down sort of issue. Unfortunately, a slow down like this at this time of the year and in this point in history is the worst possible thing for USPS. Competitors are going to adapt as they are more able to do so. Messing with Christmas shipping during a pandemic is a horrible idea.

I only wish every business I patronized delivered as quickly as the USPS did. In the last 2-3 months the worst they did was a day late which has been offset by several arriving early.

Waiting on package from USPS, 3 days late so far but figured with holiday season it would get bad with COVID to boot. It is weird seeing USPS delivering on Sunday and afterhours, never seen before.

Not blaming the carriers, but not thanking the USPS for losing all of my incoming packages, either. (My wife was issued 2 refunds from companies today for packages that have been in "arrived at distribution center" status limbo for 3 weeks and a month.)

Actually, my Amazon packages are now being delivered by Amazon vans, not USPS... So, at least around here (central North Carolina) Amazon packages aren't bogging down the USPS system too much. I have more than one Priority Mail package that's been sitting a "regional postal center" for several days, and some that we mailed in November and still haven't been delivered. I ordered a knife from GPKnives recently and they offered free US post office shipping, I paid $10 extra for FedEx because I want to get it in less than a week, and I don't want to sweat it out getting lost. It wasn't an inexpensive knife.
USPS delivers more Amazon than Amazon does.

I don't doubt that! I only know who delivers Amazon packages to my address, and in my case, 90% of it is delivered by Amazon vans now. It's only been that way for the past 45-60 days.

USPS delivers more Amazon than Amazon does.

I guess it’s different from city to city. I know here in St. Louis 7 out of 10 packages in the back of my mail truck are Amazon. We also deliver Sure post (ups) and Smart post (FedEx) daily

I guess it’s different from city to city. I know here in St. Louis 7 out of 10 packages in the back of my mail truck are Amazon. We also deliver Sure post (ups) and Smart post (FedEx) daily
And what type of order. 99% of prime deliveries are from Amazon trucks here.

Still have two priority items in the system. One from west coast at 21 days. The other from Florida at 16 days. At least the west coast one showed up at our distribution center a few Miles away. Left there on the 7th but hasn't arrived at my post office. 3 mile journey at max. The Florida box only says that it arrived at a distribution center down there on 11/25, nothing since.

I have 6 inbound via USPS right now, mostly priority. 4 should be scheduled for delivery today, we'll see in a couple three hours. One should have been here yesterday, so should arrived a day late. One looks like it will be here a couple days early, and the irony of it, it's a first-class package. o_O Basically, it's a crapshoot right now.

I also have a couple inbound via UPS. Their system has recently changed; delivery lengths have gone up by 2-3 days, and their "detailed tracking" information is no longer available.

Also, I can no longer divert inbound packages to a UPS store like I used to be able to do. :thumbsdown: The first time it happened, I thought it was a glitch. But now, I can't change any deliveries... :poop: It was a nice feature, especially for expensive items that I didn't want sitting on my porch. :mad:

All my USPS and UPS have been 1-2 days delayed if any. .... FedEx is horrible.

the problem with USPS is transportation.... there are only so many trucks and drivers the sorting plant can’t get us the mail to deliver... they are all full of packages!! We are waiting for the late truck now.

First class letter mailed on 12/7 beat a priority package mailed on 11/21 from the same post office. Simply amazing.

It was normal delivery for me up until the last of November. Now suddenly all my inbound packages are days late. I remember it being delayed a day or so, before past Christmases, but never days and days for first class and priority. I will have to stop buying stuff until next year it looks like. I've got an expensive knife out there somewhere already, I can deal with the smalls but not the high dollar stuff floating around!

It was normal delivery for me up until the last of November. Now suddenly all my inbound packages are days late. I remember it being delayed a day or so, before past Christmases, but never days and days for first class and priority. I will have to stop buying stuff until next year it looks like. I've got an expensive knife out there somewhere already, I can deal with the smalls but not the high dollar stuff floating around!
Same. I've stopped buying and selling until this mess clears up. Anything I need comes from places that don't use or have options besides USPS. Not worth the stress.

And I don't live in the middle of nowhere. Other services are working as advertised. I did notice that for the first time this week, the USPS home page wasn't advertising their ship by dates for Christmas delivery. Good choice as if they keep this up, none of those dates mean anything.

Back