Power Pro Braid

. I haven’t seen any one say any thing along the lines of , that braid line has no stretch were mono has stretch big diferance.'m in Australia and I do allot of game fishing from rock platforms I find mono far more forgiving when **** happens. live baiting with heavy braid when a large predatory fish takes alive bait at high speed even with the drag on the fishing real set very light but not light enough for an over run. A 30 lb game fish will bust up 50 lb brade near every time but with mono you have a some chance because of the stretch.

Well each to their own but the guys who lure fish for GT use braid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the braid for all of the lures i use. It's great for snagging too. I do agree mono has its uses, but you can always add a shock leader to your braid if you really need to...

Braid is the absolute worst for rocks.
No abrasion resistance at all.

This was caught recently from the rocks by a young fellow I often fish with I gaffed the fish after over 1 1/2hour fight. 50 lb mono striat throught no trace.kingfish 117 lbs cleanesd.
5909C2F5.jpg

Never fished the PP braid, I use Suffix with a fluoro leader mainly. The braid is awesome, great sensitivity,
wicked hook set power and an increase in casting distance coupled with near zero memory has sold me on
the superiority of braid over mono. I really wonder at times if the fluoro leader is even necessary but I don't
find it all that much of a problem to tie it on.

Straight fluoro was an expensive nightmare on my spinning reels. Worst nests ever. I stripped it off and have
enough for a few seasons of leaders. I would never spool a reel with straight fluoro again.

I use the hybrid lines (Yozuri and Gamakatsu) on my heavy action spinners and get good results there.
I just haven't switched those to braid but will next season.

Not to controvert the idea, as I agree that mono has way more stretch than braid, but I have a hard time
buying into mono and braid of equal test with the mono somehow absorbing the shock of a strike that braid
could not. I know that the vast majority of the line breaks I have experienced were due to either an
overly tight drag or damaged line that I neglected to notice with the former more prevalent than the latter.

Never fished the PP braid, I use Suffix with a fluoro leader mainly. The braid is awesome, great sensitivity,
wicked hook set power and an increase in casting distance coupled with near zero memory has sold me on
the superiority of braid over mono. I really wonder at times if the fluoro leader is even necessary but I don't
find it all that much of a problem to tie it on.

Straight fluoro was an expensive nightmare on my spinning reels. Worst nests ever. I stripped it off and have
enough for a few seasons of leaders. I would never spool a reel with straight fluoro again.

I use the hybrid lines (Yozuri and Gamakatsu) on my heavy action spinners and get good results there.
I just haven't switched those to braid but will next season.

Not to controvert the idea, as I agree that mono has way more stretch than braid, but I have a hard time
buying into mono and braid of equal test with the mono somehow absorbing the shock of a strike that braid
could not. I know that the vast majority of the line breaks I have experienced were due to either an
overly tight drag or damaged line that I neglected to notice with the former more prevalent than the latter.

how do you tie your leader to your braided main line?? i may give this another whirl on my spin rods. however i will not use them again on bait casting unless its for C rigging.. those nests can be a b*tch to get out.

how do you tie your leader to your braided main line?? i may give this another whirl on my spin rods. however i will not use them again on bait casting unless its for C rigging.. those nests can be a b*tch to get out.

Use an alberto knot. Very strong, non slip and can be used on lines with different diameters. Albrights are all right for fluoro to mono but mono to braid or fluoro to braid will require an alberto. When done its small and strong.

You guys are probably right saying that braid is a superior line .I’m just an old barstard who has used mono all my live and not finding it easy changing to braid

You guys are probably right saying that braid is a superior line .I’m just an old barstard who has used mono all my live and not finding it easy changing to braid

I said that for a long, long time.
Tried braid when it first came out and hated it.
Gave it another try 2 years ago and for most of my fishing, it rocks.
The amount of feel, the lack of memory and the easier casting make it a good deal for me.

I usually use a double surgeons knot but I may have to experiment with some of the others mentioned
here as well. I have never had a break at the braid fluoro connection with the surgeons knot
so far.

I mainly fish spinning rods but my fishing buddy uses braid on his baitcasters as well.

I do like it, in general, better than mono but I don't think braid is superior to mono for every fishing
style or situation. I've also had many an old "barstard" out fish me, so don't let us jade your thinking!

I usually use a double surgeons knot but I may have to experiment with some of the others mentioned
here as well. I have never had a break at the braid fluoro connection with the surgeons knot
so far.

I mainly fish spinning rods but my fishing buddy uses braid on his baitcasters as well.

Surgeons was another i was going to recommend. But for unlike sized lines and same size lines the alberto is pretty much a do it all knot.

For bass and less finicky fish i use the braid, but for trout and some other types of fish i use mono. Mono on my spinning reels and braid on my baitcaster.

Surgeons was another i was going to recommend. But for unlike sized lines and same size lines the alberto is pretty much a do it all knot.

I will give that a try, I believe the surgeons knot works well when joining lines of different
diameters. I also use the surgeons knot to tie mono leaders to dacron on my ice fishing tip-ups.

As far as braid's visibility... how come the fish don't notice those big ol'hooks?

Line visibility is a huge factor in how many bites one gets and fish can see big ol hooks easily.

Once when fishing a clear river for smallmouths , I could see the fish examining my offering only to back away. I switched from a tube to a plastic crawdad and went from 12 lb Berkely Big Game to 10 lb Triple Fish camouflaged line and started catching those fish. There was no more backing off.

I have never used florocarbons, since I change lines often , it would be rather expensive. I heard florocarbon is quite a bit heavier than mono , so it would be harder to cast the lightweight lures I often use.Most of my fishing is done with one or two rods anymore, so I spool up with what will work in the most situations.When I owned a Bass boat ,was fishing tournaments and carriying a dozen rods , I kept Spiderwire on my Carolina rod.

Last edited:
I have another invisible line story. I was walking on a floating dock at Table rock lake and noticed a keeper bass hiding under it. I flipped a plastic crawdad to it on spinning gear and light line, and he didnt even bother to check the thing out. I took a black sharpie ,{a Doug Hannon the Bass professor trick} and colored the line about two inches then leave two inches uncolored for several feet up the line to break
up the outline ,camouflaging it. Pitched the same lure to the same spot and the bass ,without hesitation, engulfed the lure.Been using cammo lines ever since.

Well, I'm not looking to argue, but there are plenty of variables.
I have had instances (under similar circumstances) where I kept presenting the same bait (with the same line and no changes to it) and caught the fish.
Or... switched lures.
For years I only fished moss green trilene.
Really tough for a dedicated line watcher.
Started fishing with a guy who only used blue florescent trilene.
He caught just as many fish as me, or more.
So to experiment more I started using the solar green big game line.
No noticeable difference. I bring three rods in the boat and at times had different line and or the same line on each.

Again, too many variables :)
Like the old guy told me early on...
"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't"
That's the beauty of fishing (to me at least), you'll never know exactly what you did right, but you will know when you are getting warm and sometimes hot.
:D

But, confidence is key. If you are confident in it, it'll work for you... because you won't be doubting yourself and will stay focused.

For what it's worth...
I have noticed that some lures behave differently on braid because it floats.
Sluggos always jump up first. Frogs skip on the surface instead of chugging or digging in a bit.

Back