Practical Advantages: 3" Fixed vs 3" Folder

I really like that reminder way of thinking. And I think if I see one more comment about my folding knives already being broken, I'm going to explode and start suing Kershaw, Spyderco, Buck, and Benchmade for selling me broken products! How dare they take advantage of us like that... haha

I didn't lead out with this because the main point of my thread is to try to find what everyone who carries a 3" to 3.5" fixed blade uses it for, and if those same uses would break a similarly-sized folding knife. The same common sense that is telling me that a single sheet of sharpened metal is stronger than a folding pivot is also telling me that a 3" knife doesn't do folder-breaking jobs. That's where I want you to come in, to disprove my common sense and tell me something that actually utilizes that inherent fixed blade strength, but only in a 3" to 3.5" knife.

Your argument is setup to support folders unless someone can prove they use a specific fixed blade does something a folder can't do. I don't know many people who would choose a small fixed blade knife for hard use when they can just as easily use a larger fixed blade knife. The benefit of carrying a small fixed blade knife isn't in what it can do that a folder can't. We are blessed that we don't have to justify such things, we just make our choices based on wants.

This thread just makes me wonder how many members here are such macho knife users that their normal edc chores can trash a folder in zero time....

Your argument is setup to support folders unless someone can prove they use a specific fixed blade does something a folder can't do. I don't know many people who would choose a small fixed blade knife for hard use when they can just as easily use a larger fixed blade knife. The benefit of carrying a small fixed blade knife isn't in what it can do that a folder can't. We are blessed that we don't have to justify such things, we just make our choices based on wants.

The really funny thing is that with using or owning a FB doesn't really need any justification at all, they are what they are.

It's only when some try to put a folder into that same role that the debates tend to happen.

Just because someone likes folders better than FB's doesn't mean they are better in reality.

There is fact and hard data and then there is fiction and opinions.

As I said before in this thread, it's not even debatable, never has been based on facts.

This thread just makes me wonder how many members here are such macho knife users that their normal edc chores can trash a folder in zero time....

The reality is that it doesn't matter how the knives are used or not used.

There is no real argument when the facts are introduced into the picture, never has been and never really will be.

There are opinions then there is fact.

Well, the fact that someone likes fixed blades also doesn't make it better in reality for all EDC too. :p

The reality is that it doesn't matter how the knives are used or not used.

There is no real argument when the facts are introduced into the picture, never has been and never really will be.

There are opinions then there is fact.

The OP asked about practical advantages. You guys are the ones who diverted the thread into just a discussion of strength. It's not that I don't like fixed blades, it's just not convenient for me and I don't really need the "strength" of a fixed blade in my day to day tasks. As mentioned earlier, concealability and ease of carry also play a large role for me. In this situation, a folder is "better" for me.

The OP asked about practical advantages. You guys are the ones who diverted the thread into just a discussion of strength.

A FB will always be more practical than a folder in real use as in using the knives.

Likes or dislikes don't replace facts. ;)

The truth will aways prevail.

Truth? So you are the only purveyor of truth here? So is your truth that a fixed blade is better for me? How can you even be know what is true is what I use my knives for?

Sometimes you do come on a bit heavy.

A FB will always be more practical than a folder in real use as in using the knives.

In what ways? And don't just tell me in every way. Concealability? Portability? Pocketability? Common now...

Even in just slicing rope and cardboard, a folder can match a fixed blade in 90 percent of normal uses.

How about package opening? Or envelope slitting?

Truth? So you are the only purveyor of truth here? So is your truth that a fixed blade is better for me? How can you even be know what is true is what I use my knives for?

Sometimes you do come on a bit heavy.

Nope....

It's thousands of years of use that back that up. ;)

Anything other than that is an opinion.

In what ways? And don't just tell me in every way. Concealability? Portability? Pocketability? Common now...

Even in just slicing rope and cardboard, a folder can match a fixed blade in 90 percent of normal uses.

How about package opening? Or envelope slitting?

Carrying isn't using?

I said in use.....

People carry folders because they either want to or have to due to legal reasons or Society.

Not because they are better. ;)

I use knives all the time that I don't have to carry around, so do Millions of others in the world.

Sure. we do use machetes here. But I can't very well go through my daily routine carrying a machete or even just a fixed blade. Which means that if I don't carry a folder, I won't have a knife to use. ;)

It's like that old saying, the best knife is the one you have on you. ;)

Or isn't that adage the truth according to Jim?

Last edited:
Well obviously knife carry comfort has nothing to do with its atributes and how good said knife is.
I mean who carries knives anyway?
I just magically teleport them to my hand whenever I need one. ;)

What does anyone use a 3"-3.5" fixed blade for that would break a folder of similar size?? The only thing I can think of is prying, but won't that break any knife tip that's thin enough?? Does anyone who EDCs a fixed blade do anything with it that would break a Buck 110 or a thick ZT??

Here's your answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgSOQY4CDk

I don't know about you, but I repeatedly find myself needing to break through concrete blocks, demolish homes, and stand on the handle. No folder can do this :)

I carry plenty of folders and fixed blades daily.....Fixed blades I carry for Self Defense, not because they are stronger, but more importantly there is no manual of arms needed to get the blade into action, Grab and Stab kinda thingy. That is not to say a folder can't be used for SD. It's my choice to use a fixed blade. I use the folder mostly for utility purposes. I don't need a fixed blade to cut out a newspaper coupon or open my mail. If I need to cut a thread, I don't need something strong, only something sharp.....Yes locks can fail on a folder and one might hurt themselves....but you know what, in over 50 years of handling all types of knives I have never had a lock fail while a folder was in use....not even a crappy $8 knife......so for me by experience it's not a concern, and I don't think it should be an issue for anybody. Fixed Blades are great, I would want one on my person while enjoying the great outdoors, hiking, camping, hunting, but I'd also want a Tomahawk nearby as well. It all boils down to which is the best knife to get a particular job done. I wouldn't want to start to use a folder for splitting wood, and depending on the Fixed blade I might not want to do it with that either. Have the right tools for the job at hand, keep the tool sharp and they should do there thing for you. It is ridiculous to argue which is better, stronger, easy to use etc. Fact is I don't need a Fixed Blade to cut a thread, and I don't need a folder to peel an apple, point is just somethings work better than others in certain circumstances...Why does one have to be good and the other worthless.....If it has an edge and it's sharp.....then it's all good. To think anything different is delusional......Doc:)

Sure. we do use machetes here. But I can't very well go through my daily routine carrying a machete or even just a fixed blade. Which means that if I don't carry a folder, I won't have a knife to use. ;)

It's like that old saying, the best knife is the one you have on you. ;)

Or isn't that adage the truth according to Jim?

Or any knife is better than nothing. LOL

I can't even really carry a FB these days due to Society here so I carry folders like most others.

Given a choice I would carry a small FB.

Back