1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Practical Hiking/Camping/Outdoors/Survival Knives

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by BMCGear, Mar 15, 2015.

1. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    Oh yes, I agree. Everyone has their own ideas on what "survival" is, given their daily routines and what extracurricular activities are. I'm just saying that every job has a preferred tool and some tools might not be the best "application" for a given circumstance, given a person's preference.

Absolutely!

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    As has been said many times before, there are dozens of manufactures, and thousands of styles for a reason, might as well find the one that works for you. my needs and seeming contradictory restrictions are going to be very different from anyone elses. I typically work with kids, often pre and teen boys. So big knives are out. They are just not worth the trouble, and some of the places I work don't want us to carry fixed blades. But they are also fully relying on me to get them through whatever might happen, and part of that means I can't have a tool that needs too much thought, or has a fiddle factor. So the knife that right now has fallen right in that gap is the vic rucksack. the blade is big enough to do nearly anything. The saw works very well, and I can get the tuna or beans open for lunch. Not much better that that. In truth, I would probably prefer the liner-lock version (so either the trecker or forester) but the reality is that it gets the job done. And I really wish I had my griptillian, but import restrictions and all that just make it easier to carry the Vic. Teachers don't freak out about it, and even the most nervous of kids know somehow that swiss army knives fix things. I don't know how, but they just do.
    I've tried carrying a combo, including a BK13, which is a great little knife, but its going to stay on fishing box duty, and an izula, but the reality is that the izula, as great as it is, is too close in size to the ESEE-3, and that gives you a full handle. its really a better backup to a multi with a small blade than the 111mm vic. And who knows, maybe the ESEE-3 will get stashed in the pack again.
    Knife I need will always be less than the knife I want. But if I was the kind of guy who was happy to do all my camping with whatever I got at the big box store, and wondered why it was so hard to cut things, I wouldn't be here, talking to you.

3. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    12 years in an Army SAR unit (reserve) including rescue from fallen buildings

For rescue, a couple of $5 crowbars will get you a lot more mileage than a knife

4. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    What Neeman ^ said

On another note, we *really* need a "Like" function!!!

5. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    although it's harder to spread some butter on toast with one after a long day ;)

6. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Totally, as neeman suggested pry bars, which are great, but we have some leverage tool restrictions until after shocks have passed before us volunteers can help. We actually end up using them mostly for cribbing and shoring in training mostly.

I'd say our biggest danger out here in CA seismic country right now is water, or lack there of to be better stated. The last big one severed many of the city's water arteries and gas mains leading to fires, which unless you were near a fireboat on the bay most stuff just burned. In 1906 it was worse, but we had one functioning firehydrant for all of SF. Store some water ya'll.

7. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    I like this post. It makes many good points that I agree with and only a few that I do not. And those are mostly based upon individual experience and personal preferences.

8. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    I was there in '89 and it was definitely an interesting several days. Although, I'd say that with California's current water situation, it's not going to take another big quake for things to start getting ugly. If I lived in Cali, I'd be storing as much water as possible regardless...

Back on the 'survival knife' topic (since that's where this thread has drifted focus), there's just one observation that I think is good to keep in mind for perspective, before you convince yourself that you "need" some high-tech, powder-coated, fancy steel, saw blade on the spine, handle with a built-in socket set, sharpened pry bar - most cultures throughout all of human history, up until this modern day "survival" focus, simply carried a knife. It's wasn't a 'survival' model - it was just a knife, and it served all the needs that it needed to, in large part because the user was well-versed in how to use it, not because the knife had a litany of incredible "features." But then again, for most of human history, what many of us romanticize as "survival" today was simply the reality of day-to-day life - it wasn't an abstract scenario that one sat around preparing for.

9. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    Like you said, the one on you. I carry and use all sorts of different blades but IMO the survival knife is the one that's on your person. A large chopper in your pack is great and will do a lot of work in camp but to me it isn't really a survival knife because it's in the pack. You know, with the tarp, cordage, fleece, rain jacket...etc. All better options than chopping and chopping. So, carry-ability is paramount IMO. I tend toward lighter knives like neck knives or light belt knives. Carrying both baldric style more often than not. Knives you'll find on me is a sak or spyderco EDC and either an izula 2, mora, or a 3/32" thick custom. IMO survival gear(fire starters etc) is what's in your pockets/on your body as well.

The stuff in my pack is for convenience. The stuff on my body is for "survival."

10. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    You have a very good point: Whatever you chose for a knife, don't wait to need it before you use it. Always test your material and get used to it.

Skills above material (which is also the philosophy in Murray Carter sharpening method).

11. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    Agreed with what I made bold and here's some proof to that:

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-horace-kephart.html

https://archive.org/details/bookofcampingwoo00keph

http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Horace-Kephart-Drafts-and-Drawings.pdf

....however I also happen to think that movies, marketing and personal style will play into what someone thinks they "need." I believe I've said it before [perhaps in another thread?] that one should be able to discern a difference between a "need" and a "want."

To many people, the notion that the _______ "needs" to do this _______ and this _______.........but I "want" it to do this ______, this _________ this _________ and this ________....is one that's a little on the "more sensible" side. They could be right...or wrong.....but it's really up to them.

There's some merit to the opinion of the "one tool option" and I happen to subscribe to it for certain things. All to often though, that "option" is way more/bigger/heavier/thicker/whatever than we actually need. I'm certainly not against the individual who disagrees with me and it's because I believe the gear they choose ultimately has to work for them. I'm pretty good with an axe and hatchet....but I can do the work [that I usually do] with something else...something smaller, easier and safer to handle and certainly lighter. Will that work for anyone else? Possibly....and I'll often offer 'my particular way' as one potential option for them. Ultimately though, they will have to decide what's best for them. Horace Kelphart certainly didn't need a BK-9 to do what he needed done...but he also carried things I don't [want to?]. He was a huge fisherman and while yes I did a lot of fishing in my youth, I don't any more.

It not only boils down to 'practicality' but also personal choice.

12. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    If people are trapped you need to work immediately
    The first settle of the building is easier to rescue
    The second compacts the fallen

Crowbars and mechanical car jacks are two major rescue tools

Crowbars pry to enter car jacks
    Car jacks lift tons

13. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    Neeman, someone who daily *lives* in an urban wilderness replete with aggressors, again offers hard-won wisdom via a perfect example of how urban survival is radically different than wilderness survival and thus requires radically different *tools*.

In the land of concrete and steel, humans need more advanced tools than simple, single-purpose objects. Catastrophes are exponentially more challenging because as nature flexes it's "muscles", it topples our man-made concrete and steel creations which in turn really bugger things up!

Not to say the basics of human existence (clean air, water, food, shelter and a nice add-on is fire) don't need to be attended to, but as we have seen time and time again fire and shelter are things we can make from a myriad of objects which are readily available in urban environments. That leaves the human consumption needs of clean air, water and food.

14. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

15. Jeff7643

Jeff7643

May 22, 2015
    That's either the Smith and Sons Brave or Cherokee. The only difference in the two is size so I can't say for sure. Both are good knives. I think the Brave is a 3 1/2" blade and the Cherokee is a 4". I have the Cherokee in D2 and it was the hardest blade I own to re-profile, and I've worked on just about every knife I have. One tough steel. But now it's just the way I like it. :)

16. Ausseknifeknut

Ausseknifeknut Banned BANNED

Oct 26, 2013
    My pack has an older model gerber hatchet (same as a fiskars) a kabar Becker bk17 , and a leatherman new wave . I think that'll cover anything I need to cut or chop.

17. absolut247

absolut247

Jun 21, 2011
    Yeah, I love the mora type knives too. Cheap and well made. You can buy a handful and tuck them away in every different bag or pack you have. I just bought a Cold Steel Survival Edge which is just like Morakniv but with a hollow handle and a fire striker. I made Vaseline cotton balls and tucked them inside the handle to have extra easy fire starters. It only cost $20 on amazon.

18. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    OR carry both. I often do. Blades are completely different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]