Practical hospital stay knife/tool

Hospital knife:

C4fR6e5.jpg

Spyderco Endura.
Expensive enough to be good, inexpensive enough to not cry if it has to be stored somewhere it might get stolen or lost/tossed out. :)

The toxic green handles on this one obviously work as advertised, seeing as no zombie hordes attacked me during my stay. :D

DTMjPsP.jpg

More and more frequently, emergency rooms are becoming limited access...often with metal detectors and/or security screenings. A couple years ago, we had some assclown threatening staff with a tomahawk; and that sort of thing is wholly separate from people showing up with guns and knives looking for patients (to finish the job or retaliate).

DTMjPsP.jpg

More and more frequently, emergency rooms are becoming limited access...often with metal detectors and/or security screenings. A couple years ago, we had some assclown threatening staff with a tomahawk; and that sort of thing is wholly separate from people showing up with guns and knives looking for patients (to finish the job or retaliate).

Violent weirdoes tend to ruin it for the rest of us. :(
So far it ain't like that here. :)

If I was going for an extended stay, then I'd take the Victorinox Swisschamp. :thumbsup:
TONS of fidget/gadget factor, and so many tool options.
Also yet to run into anyone who views it negatively; you're MacGyver rather than Leatherface. :)

DTMjPsP.jpg

Yeah ! But on the other hand , "safe zones" are sometimes popular targets for terrorist / nut job mass murderers , precisely because they know they don't have to worry about an armed citizen response . Examples are common : airports , schools etc .

Nut jobs and criminals aren't going to "do it" with a SAK or Leatherman whatever. As long as I'm not in too much pain, I would be happy with my Kindle (a place to charge it) and a SAK. If I don't have the tool on me, I'll call a nurse.;)

Everything is computerized now.... computer in most hospital rooms for the staff use. I wonder if they charge you every time a nurse or orderly visits your room?

Last edited:
I can't remember ever needing a knife when I visited family in the hospital or when I've been there. I think I take a fidget spinner over a knife there.

Good thing I didn't have my knife handy in the recovery room (after gall bladder removal). Staff at that hospital wore color coded scrubs and the recovery room staff wore black or navy blue. I woke up in the middle of a struggle with a few of them. I didn't know whether they were Viet Cong or Ninjas but I was having none of what they were offering. :confused:o_O:p

I can't remember ever needing a knife when I visited family in the hospital or when I've been there. I think I take a fidget spinner over a knife there.
Unless you carry a knife all the time. Then it is a person's SOP to carry a knife everywhere he can. For me, the only place I don't is at the court house. I would get more use out of my tablet with Kindle app on it than a knife. But that doesn't mean that I won't have a knife in my pocket.

When I pulled security at a hospital in Oregon, we didn't allow visitors to have "weapons". Weapons got stored in a safe to be returned when the owner was leaving.

Guns, knives, and box cutters got stored this way. On quite a few occasions, it ended up for the best, due to the owners being confrontational and unstable. That said, Swiss army type knives were generally only confiscated from psych patients.

When my mom was in the hospital before she died I was there pretty much all the time for 5 days. I carried my knife and handgun the whole time. Noone asked and I didnt tell. The hospital was in downtown Jackson MS. I can assure you I wasnt the only one armed.

Unless you carry a knife all the time. Then it is a person's SOP to carry a knife everywhere he can. For me, the only place I don't is at the court house. I would get more use out of my tablet with Kindle app on it than a knife. But that doesn't mean that I won't have a knife in my pocket.

Most hospitals were I live have you pass through security before you see the doc in the ER, or visit a patient. So standard procedure is to leave the knives in the car. They don't tend to bother if your seeing a regular doctor for a cold or other normal appointments.

They do a good job of making things easily opened and havent found a time where I wished I had my knife to open something or use one of the tools on my SAK. And for the record they won't let you through with a SAK around here, I unitentionally tried when I forgot to empty my pockets rushing someone to the ER.

And from the stories I've heard from some ER nurses I think I take everyone disarmed after going through a checkpoint. Even seen some combative patients on the few clinicals I've been on in the past too.

Most hospitals were I live have you pass through security before you see the doc in the ER, or visit a patient. So standard procedure is to leave the knives in the car. They don't tend to bother if your seeing a regular doctor for a cold or other normal appointments.
Where might be "where you live"? I recall threads about nurses and doctors carrying knives at hospitals. They were usually pretty traditonal or small folders.

When my mom was in the hospital before she died I was there pretty much all the time for 5 days. I carried my knife and handgun the whole time. Noone asked and I didnt tell. The hospital was in downtown Jackson MS. I can assure you I wasnt the only one armed.
It all depends on where the hospital is located and their internal policies, the degree of enforcement also varies.

DTMjPsP.jpg

I'm sure that sign has scared them all away. Seriously though, it's why armed security should be present and trained to deescalate and use non-lethal force.

I’ve worked in hospitals, nursing homes and rehab centers. Most of them have a no weapons policies, but are very open and lenient in regards to patients and staff carrying personal tools. I usually carry a SAK and a spyderco native. I often have patients that have small pocket knives hidden on them or in the room. It makes them a bit more comfortable when I tell them it’s ok, just tell anyone that asks that it is a tool and not a weapon and all is well.

I have carried a SAK more than a couple times inside a hospital in my area. I don't consider it a weapon. So, unless there are metal detectors, I carry the knife regardless of any signs. Those signs are an invitation to the criminal element or those would be criminals. FedEx has a sign in their window about firearms.... if I have a firearm on me, it goes inside for the few minutes it takes to drop off a package.

Same. Unless there’s metal detectors I carry knives and gun EVERYWHERE I go. Them signs ain’t gonna jump off the wall and protect nobody.

I’ve never had any issue carrying a gun or a knife into a hospital and I practically grew up in them. Where do you guys live? I’m talking major hospitals in downtown Portland here.
TV news always says that folks in downtown Portland are usually legally naked. Where do you carry your knife?
p.s. I worked in hospitals for 35 yrs in about 15 states (consultant) and always carried a Benchmade or Spyderco folder. I was always asked to cut something for somebody.

I have grown very fond of my Swiss card by Victorinox. Can carry in shirt pocket so I don’t have to get up to get out of pants pocket. Paired with a pioneer it’s sak nirvana for me

Some hospitals go further than banning actual guns or knives. A few even ban gun or knife websites! I was with a family member who was in the hospital a few years ago. I had my work laptop with me and she was asleep, so I hopped on the web. I tried to do a little window shopping but ran into a wall. They had some version of a net nanny for their network that blocked Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and a bunch of other sites. I was finally able to reach the hospital administrator in charge of that, only to get told that they block all "violent content".

Back