Practical Hunter

It's kismet's shape. I was just competant enough to pull it off.

Bro! Enough with the humility. We know you're not an egomaniac, but it's alright to feel that you are above average. You are Compadre. I don't go throwin' design/logo work out to just anybody. You Rock!;)

Thanks bro. But look around. What is average?? I think I'm about average. There are masters enough to fill rows and rows of tables at Blade Show. Now, I did see some work that isn't as good as mine at the show. But, I'm in the middle there.

Thanks bro. But look around. What is average?? I think I'm about average. There are masters enough to fill rows and rows of tables at Blade Show. Now, I did see some work that isn't as good as mine at the show. But, I'm in the middle there.

I can honestly say I disagree with your sentiments here. Your blades might be on par with "average", but your handles are certainly among the best that I have seen, both on these forums and at Blade 2009. According to my math, that would put you above average:cool:

But, as a southerner, your math skills are suspect. Do you know what average means?

But, as a southerner, your math skills are suspect. Do you know what average means?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.:eek::D:D
Well, you make us some of those Practical Hunters, and we'll call you just about anything you want.;)

This is the first of your knives that I have seen with a bolster. Really stands out from your others, design-wise.

sarge102_0711-vi.jpg

Nice job!!!

Andy?

I keep looking at the images. I think you have made, what will be for me, at least, the perfect one-knife.

The original was crudely done by a non-knife maker. The HI versions are nice..but I want a longer tang, and I don't think the kamis do small knives very well in my experience.

The 2009 WI rules and regs for deer hunting were just made available. If mine arrives in time, I KNOW I will have found THAT sheath knife--the one I have wanted, but never quite found until now.

I mean it when I say you have created a classic. Be proud. I am.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Sarah and I were actually discussing this last night. She asked me how good I think my knives are going to turn out from the run I'm about to do. I said, "well hopefully, since spending as much time as I do trying to emulate Andy's handles, I'll be able to do a handle about 60% as good as his. My blade designs are good. If it all falls into place, I think they'll turn out pretty damn good." Then she said, "what makes Andy's knives so good?" I said, "His blades are practical. They aren't some fancy bullshit. They work. That's what they're designed for. Then you've got those f@#$ing handles. They are second to none. Most of the knifemakers out there that make user knives have a very simple handle that is just rounded off to keep from creating hotspots. Show knives with awesome handles always either have some exotic handle material or blade design that keeps them from being something you could use without crying the whole time. Not to mention they cost a f@#$ing fortune. Andy's knives are the only knives out there that combine a practical user knife with a handle that rivals, if not totally beats, any handle on any show knife that's made out of a material you could use." Then she asked me if I needed a cigarette after that description. I told her to shut up. Women really have a way of making you sound gay just because you can appreciate someone else's work. ...Well that and I was rubbing my nipples the whole time.:eek:

Bottom line is. For us that use knives and don't just look at them from a collectable standpoint, you don't give your knives or your skills enough credit. Do you realise how hard it is for me now when designing a knife to make sure it isn't a damn woodsman or an EDC when I'm done drawing? Your handles and practical blades f@#$in brainwash people.

Just posting to remind myself to get on the list whenever it forms (hint, hint).

As a longtime HI user I have several Sarge knives and I think they're the best small knife shape that HI makes, but as above they can vary quite a bit. The detail and obvious quality of Andy's version really stands out, and really adds to the whole package. My only potential tweaks (at the fear of disrupting the lines) would be to make the bolster a little sharper curve, or a flat bit like the original spoon. I'm just thinking of this as a real user and paranoid about slipping off the handle. Also, an option to leave the top edge unsharpened so it doesn't turn into a "bowie knife" by Texas law...

Back