practice image post

Cyber, White metal is an alloy, I am not sure of the exact mix but sure it contains Aluminum and most likely some lead. JP would know.
It was extremely common in the making of early (WW11 and before) military badges in India , Britain and other commonwealth countries , often in conjunction with another metal e.g brass (refered to as bi-metal badges in the militaria trade.) It is reasonably soft but have seen harder grades on some early British militaria.

The middle one most definitely is, but are you sure about the other 2?
If they are "pot metal" they must have a very high steel content.

Yes, I have seen these cruder models in white metal, but never the better quality grips I showed in my photo. Here is one of the few engraved grips that is not steel or brass that has decent designs, but even this high-end sales promotion model doesn't display the art found in the others.
algrip.jpg

Yes John , The metal is too soft for steel , I wasn't aware that steel was in the white metal mix (thanks for that info) that will explain the patina on the outside two grips. I have seen white metal tarnish on early Indian army hat badges but it is uncommon , obviously it depended on what the alloy consisted of at the time of manufacture.

Cheers Rod,John,
I think white metal can also refer to Nickel silver or German silver which is an alloy that resembles white brass.

Spiral

There are some of these metal grips that have alloy of lead and aren't considered "white". Apparently this was made just for ease in stamping & rolling these designs as I described earlier. It is also common in other art objects apparently. I am not a metalurgist, but experts have taught me the difference. Maybe that is what you have.

I believe, in this case, white metal is a generic term for pewter, AKA English silver or Britannia metal and sometimes German silver. It is a tin, antimony and copper alloy with sometimes zinc and/or lead in small quantities.
It might also refer to nickel silver, also known as German silver, which is a Copper, zinc, nickel alloy that look very similar. They are all hard enough to take a high polish, and don't easily tarnish or rust. Used a lot in cutlery historically, and still used by custom makers as an alternative to brass. Note that none of them contain any actual silver.

Thanks Brian. The different base metals fool a lot of people like silver and gold finishes done as a "wash" or "plating".

I have never heard of German or Nickle Silver referred to as white metal.

Originally posted by John Powell
I have never heard of German or Nickle Silver referred to as white metal.
Here's an industry ref:
http://www.ballardbrass.com/nominal-chemical-composition.html
'white metal' halfway down.

I started a new thread with more extensive references.

I'm glad you made the comment,
as it prompted me to search for what
white metal & pot metal actually are.
Something that occassionally crosses my mind,
but never when I was ready to research it.

Hi John,
The experts I have spoken too always refer to Nickle silver or German silver as white metal.

Personaly I agree with them.

Spiral.

PS. courtesy of ddean

Here's an industry ref to nickel-silver / German-silver:
http://www.ballardbrass.com/nominal...omposition.html
'white metal' halfway down.

" Where 10 percent or more by weight of the base metal in an article of hollow ware is pure nickel, such base metal may be identified with the following expressions:
"nickel-silver".
"nickel-argent".
"N.S.".

Back