pre-order for the new Kephart?

• Yes, start a pre-order

Votes: 70 92.1%
  • No, bad idea

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters
View attachment 1545985

^ test knife. Has seen some shit.

Luv'ing it Nathan because you're clearly putting your own spin on the CPK-Kephart without deviating too much away from the traditional (lurve that stock, the drop with your saber grind). TBT, I never warmed up to the exact Kephart because it reminded me of some SS cutlery you'd get at a Parisian hotel to spread churned butter and marmalade on your scone! You Da'man, man!

CPK: “test knife. Has seen some shit.”
Knife: *is fine with barely any marks

I love it. Haha

Other than the obvious splitting wood, whittling, feather stick kind of use it has also been beaten upon with a 4 pound hammer and run through some 16D (big) nails and some 1/4-20 (bigger) el-cheapo screws (bolts). So yeah, it actually looks pretty good considering the use it's seen. Makes me feel better about all these pictures I see of "users" that look pristine. Maybe some of them have seen real use after all. This one has seen some shit. And it looks fine.

I'm trying to confirm the ugly as hell wonky-ass experimental grind that is supposed to emulate the convex grind of the original does indeed split small wood without getting stuck and was worth all the bother. It seems to work okay.

I'm going to need to include a little piece of paper in the box that says "why does my grind look weird? Because weird cuts better"

Idunno. Ahmuh run with it. It's a good knife. It cuts well and feels right. *shrug*

Other than the obvious splitting wood, whittling, feather stick kind of use it has also been beaten upon with a 4 pound hammer and run through some 16D (big) nails and some 1/4-20 (bigger) el-cheapo screws (bolts). So yeah, it actually looks pretty good considering the use it's seen. Makes me feel better about all these pictures I see of "users" that look pristine. Maybe some of them have seen real use after all. This one has seen some shit. And it looks fine.

I'm trying to confirm the ugly as hell wonky-ass experimental grind that is supposed to emulate the convex grind of the original does indeed split small wood without getting stuck and was worth all the bother. It seems to work okay.

I will never forget your video of hammering a blade through a cinder block. That one went straight into long term memory filed under “holy shit!”

Luv'ing it Nathan because you're clearly putting your own spin on the CPK-Kephart without deviating too much away from the traditional (lurve that stock, the drop with your saber grind). TBT, I never warmed up to the exact Kephart because it reminded me of some SS cutlery you'd get at a Parisian hotel to spread churned butter and marmalade on your scone! You Da'man, man!
Something like this?

Butter Knife - Smaller.jpg

But scones in Paris? :eek: Sacre Bleu!

Croissants!

Also, French marmalade sucks.

Make it a London B&B and we're all good. :p

That looks amazing, Renato! I didn't realize they were already starting to ship. I am starting to regret not ordering some wood with mine...
I had no idea either but they did say they were ahead of schedule 🤷. I almost thought I ordered another DEK and forgot about it until I opened the box. Getting it's first boiled linseed treatment as we speak !😉 Micarta is never a bad choice tho.

Nice touch with the grooves in the handle. Should help with traction in the wet. That's the one problem I was having with the walnut handles of the bk62.

I had no idea either but they did say they were ahead of schedule 🤷. I almost thought I ordered another DEK and forgot about it until I opened the box. Getting it's first boiled linseed treatment as we speak !😉 Micarta is never a bad choice tho.

Nice touch with the grooves in the handle. Should help with traction in the wet. That's the one problem I was having with the walnut handles of the bk62.

I absolutely will not regret the micarta. But that Ironwood EDC2 I got from you and the pics of your new Kephart have me thinking that I will be wanting to add the wood options in the future. I have the micarta as well as the walnut options on my BK-62 and the micarta is certainly superior but the texturing that CPK does on their wood ought to mitigate the difference a bit on their version.

ETA: My apologies for the non-CPK pic but still relevant to my point above. Below is a 62 and a forged AUK-5 (Kephart inspired) from a BF maker here - he used the 62 micarta scales on this.

QDrbj1L.jpg

Congrats Renato :thumbsup: Very, very nice indeed... This is the first sample I've seen to-date in the wild...Were you honored with this to be the first kinda test guinea?
I don't think so. Just think somebody's gotta be first and I got lucky. I did get to use it a bit the last few days and impressions so far are good. I will say it doesn't dance in the hand as nimbly as the the other kephart I've played with. Not necessarily a bad thing tho. With the other, I had trouble determining from feel alone which side was up. Meaning everytime I picked it up after setting it down I'd have to look and see if it was edge up or down. With this one it wants to be cutting side down (as it should be!) Just takes a tiny bit more effort to switch up hand positions is all. Negligible in any real use situation. This could just be because I'm not familiar enough with it yet and I've been using my DEK almost exclusively lately and that bad Mfer just knows where to go when I think it. Don't listen to me tho I know nothing I just cut stuff with a knife.

Back