Prepping for Blade

Missed a big part of the super bowl.:grumpy: but, getting back to business. Today my saw ran almost 8 hrs. straight. Got 40 blanks cut out. 30 hornets, 10 maguas. Murph, and my Dad came by today, we all took turns cutting, profiling, as that was happening I was working on leather. Dad took some time to do some minor repairs on some of my equipment. My wife served me lunch in the shop then fed both myself and Murph supper as we came in and took a break. Got to watch a few minutes of the game then. Today was a prosperous day. But I'm tierd, My back hurts. Gonna take a shower, crack a beer, and finish wacthin the game. 12 hours in my shop on a Sunday is good enough I think.

Last edited:
Missed a big part of the super bowl.:grumpy: but, getting back to business. Today my saw ran almost 8 hrs. straight. Got 40 blanks cut out. 30 hornets, 10 maguas. Murph, and my Dad came by today, we all took turns cutting, profiling, as that was happening I was working on leather. Dad took some time to do some minor repairs on some of my equipment. My wife served me lunch in the shop then fed both myself and Murph supper as we came in and took a break. Got to watch a few minutes of the game then. Today was a prosperous day. But I'm tierd, My back hurts. Gonna take a shower, crack a beer, and finish wacthin the game. 12 hours in my shop on a Sunday is good enough I think.
What???? No Yumas???? Back into the shop you go. :D Just kidding man, I'll bet you were beat.

What???? No Yumas???? Back into the shop you go. :D Just kidding man, I'll bet you were beat.

I'm trying to get the knives I'm taking the biggest quanities done first. That way it gets easier as the show moves closer instead of the other way around. Trying to get a jump on my sheaths as well. They take a lot of time. I cut up a whole 1/4 of a hide already in Hornet and Magua sheaths. On nights like last night that I don't want to go out to the shop, I stay in and sew sheaths as I watch TV or talk with the wife or whatever. That way I can get something accomplished everynight.

In some other cool news. The lady I spoke to that books all of the exibitors for blade was very helpfull. When she asked where I was from I told her and to both of our shock. She was originally from this area and even went to high school with my wife. Small world huh. So then she took extra time and explained everything in great detail and helped me all she could. Received a email from her just yesterday telling me they got my check and entry application and that she would be assigning my table probably next month....so its officially official! :)

Wow, sure is a small world. That's crazy.

Thanks for the update Todd! And try not burn yourself out before the show even starts!

Thanks for the update Todd! And try not burn yourself out before the show even starts!

Nonsense little buddy! I'm drivin. I also got a good group of poeple helpin out. My Dad, Murph, and Diesel D. I'll try to wear them out first! ;)

I know it's the dead of winter and it doesn't seem like alot's going on. But that's not the case. As we can all see, The Man is tucked away in the workshop, fulfilling his stated goal of building inventory. Kinda like a grumpy Santa. On the horizon is a couple meetings with our merchandise guy about banners, stickers and just general paraphernalia. We'll line out T-shirts in the next month or so, and even though I was honing a fine sales pitch, I've transitioned into explaining our temporary production halt, and making arrangements to contact potential customers right after Blade. Hey..it's winter, what else ya gonna do? And you may not realize it, but I've been practicing my Moderator craft here and there..real subtle like over in some abandoned threads. Practicing..getting stronger.

Had to take off work today. Seems my 6 year old furnace that has had 3 different coils in it needs its 4th. Which is just great considering the 5 yr warrenty is up. So there's a $1500. Kick to the groin. $1000. For the coil/repair and $500. for the electric bill that ran up cause the electric back up was heating my house during the coldest month of the winter. How convinent! Anyway. The service men are here so I'm taking advantage of the time off. I'm sitting here sewing up sheaths. I've sewn sheaths for 5 days straight and my hands have started to bleed. I think I'm gonna take a break from them and grind some knife blanks after they leave. Will try to post some pics later today.

You should sew sheaths by the seashore. It sounds soothing.

Well the furnace service dudes left about 11:30. Said they'd send the bill. Can't wait for that. :rolleyes: been in the shop the rest of the day. Didn't get exactly done what I wanted to but not quittin yet. Just takin a break. I did get a bunch of Hornets and a few Maguas profiled, stamped, and drilled, ready to grind. 40 to be exact. Started some work on some Yumas aswell, but didn't take pics of them. There customers.
2013-02-07165025_zps284f9ebe.jpg

Not a bad looking stack of steel right there. I hope to grab a Magua at blade or the gathering. I'm sick of listening to Derek go on and on and on...and on..:D

Not a bad looking stack of steel right there. I hope to grab a Magua at blade or the gathering. I'm sick of listening to Derek go on and on and on...and on..:D

You mean just in general, or about Magua's?

Well I don't know if I'm on schedule or not. I know that everytime I come in from the shop I don't feel good about it........my aunt came by for a visit the other day, she's always been a voice of reason to me. She told me that I am a lot like her, in the means that I always look at what I havnt done oppossed to what I have done. She's probably right. But I didn't have the help I thought I was gonna have this weekend. So it was kind of a let down.........anyway, got 10 Magua's ground and heat threated. Good I guess. But didn't get what I wanted cut out.......oh well......next weekend is a new couple of days I guess.

look at it this way -- how many blades have you profiled and HT'd since you decided to do this a month ago?
compare that to how many you did last year.

Back