Prevention of Rust Under Handle Slabs on 3V

I had the same concern with a non survive knife in PD #1. When I took the slabs off I indeed found some rust spots. I sent it to be cerakoted. Cost 20 bux and looks damn cool. I recommend you do the same if concerned.

if you've seen Guys corrosion test on 3v, Rust doesn't really affect the steel as 3V has enough alloying elements so resist it.

That's what I'm hoping. I just picked up a 5.1 in 3v and living on the Texas coast, rust is always an issue. I've had very good experiences with d2 in my humid environment so im hoping 3v is the same or better.

Edit to add: I did see Guys test on 3v and it definitely gave me some relief as to what to expect from this steel!

if you've seen Guys corrosion test on 3v, Rust doesn't really affect the steel as 3V has enough alloying elements so resist it.

Yea, I've seen it. But I've seen other videos demonstrating 3v rust. It's not immune from rust, especially in damp environments.... Which seems to arise every time I go camping.

Some of the ESEE guys stripped their blades and applied clear nail polish under the scales. I'm not sure how well that works , but if it's durable and not too thick, then it would essentially be clear coat. May be worth a try as well. I'll probably use some car or Flitz wax and in multiple layers and forget about it. If it does rust, it'll clean easily. But, if I was on the Gulf, I'd be more concerned.

Back