"Primal knife" from The Grinch

I don't know if anybody ever post about this knife, so ...let's do it!

concept is a bit different of what we are used to see:
Carbon steel, and handle more or less same size than blade...
Reason being than if you want to do precise cut, you handle it near the blade... and when you want to do powerfull chopping, you handle it at the back.
Concept is probably not new ( i have a thai machette built the same) but it seems working ! (i honestly have'nt got this knife)

steel is 55S7 and it's a custom made by the Grinch (french knife maker) from an idea of David Manise (kinddda French Doug Ritter).

I like the shape of this knife, so i decided to share the pics!:D

PA300028.jpg

PA300036.jpg

PA300037.jpg

additionnal pics here (text in french)
http://forum.couteauxzen.net/viewtopic.php?t=71&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=manise

Man, I'm loving that. Don't know anything about that steel, but the knife looks fantastic! That long handle is awesome!

I really like that knife, I love the handle lenght.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

i'm gonna contact the knife maker, may-be he could explain his job and post some explanation here...:confused:
handle is hard wood (well polished) so it does'nt hurt the hand even after hard and long use.

Very cool Freddy1, I must say, I have never seen anything like it.

That would make for a great outdoors blade.

Yeah, but when is he going to come out with a knife for guys with large hands? Just kidding. Neat concept.

Great looking knife. The long handle makes the knife into a short axe....great design.

Patrick

hello and many thank's for your comment but my english is very poor ! i just can explain that all the big work on this knife is in the heat treatment !
the handle is in a hard french wood who's name : "le buis" !
Thx !

i think translation is boxwood (a nice yellow hard wood).

Grincheux, which heat treatment do you use for this 55S7 steel, water or oil?
what is the difference between 55S7 and Xc75 by the way?

thanks for paying a visit !:)

Great idea and very different to the norm !!!
I don't think it would make a good EDC ! LOL ! But as a camp knife etc it would work great !!!!

Now look what you have done! I have to go out to my shop and change the designed of the big bowie I was making. It was going to be a 10" blade with a 5" handle, Now It looks like its going to be a 10" blade and a 8" handle. Oh hell I mite as well make it a 12" blade, an even 20" over all. Good thing I haven't cut any steel vet.
obviously I like it.

Now look what you have done! I have to go out to my shop and change the designed of the big bowie I was making. It was going to be a 10" blade with a 5" handle, Now It looks like its going to be a 10" blade and a 8" handle. Oh hell I mite as well make it a 12" blade, an even 20" over all. Good thing I haven't cut any steel vet.
obviously I like it.
Hey, Mike....full tang or stick tang? :D
...just kidding, Bro'

Hey, Mike....full tang or stick tang? :D
...just kidding, Bro'

LOL, now you opened another can of worms, So I'm going to make a big bowie with a "Nakago" type tang. fact I mite just make the hole handle Japanese style. I'll have the only Wakazashi/Bowie hybrid around. In fact I'll put a khukuri bend in it and make it a folder to.

LOL, now you opened another can of worms, So I'm going to make a big bowie with a "Nakago" type tang. fact I mite just make the hole handle Japanese style. I'll have the only Wakazashi/Bowie hybrid around. In fact I'll put a khukuri bend in it and make it a folder to.
:D Mike...I know you must be joking, but you had me going there for a minute!
You'd certainly have all the bases covered with that one!
- Stay Sharp

:D Mike...I know you must be joking, but you had me going there for a minute!
You'd certainly have all the bases covered with that one!
- Stay Sharp

Nope, Going to put a basket Gard on it to.:rolleyes:
Well I just looked at a Bud-K catalog, :barf: and realized that there is no way that I could ever make the ugliest or weirdest knife, so I guess I'll just make a bowie with a slightly longer handle. probably a hidden tang with a 6" Elk antler handle.

Back