Production folders..... show them off! Midtechs, Reate, Liong Mah, RHK, CRK, Spyderco, Etc.....

Today's piece to show off used to be a sorta drawer queen--fondled and lightly carried with no real use to speak of. I've developed more of a use-it-or-lose mentality with most of my knives over time. I really like this one for action, looks, and its Spyderco Military cutting ability. It and two of my other three Millies are EDC users with the CF/S90V framelock going to work some days. The fourth has been back in its box and on the Exchange for a while.

oi93VUI.jpg

G4EK22g.jpg
I really love the subtle fluting Spyderco does on those handles.

I really love the subtle fluting Spyderco does on those handles.
Funny you should mention that, as it's what first attracted me to that knife, aside from the fact that the Military is one of my favorite models of all time. When this--my second Millie--arrived from DLT, I was a bit taken aback by some of the milling on the slabs. As the flutes become narrower and finer from the butt forward, around 2/3 of the way along one can begin to see the longitudinal mill marks from what I assume is the primary CNCing of the slab shape with about a half-dozen narrow flats noticeable both above and below the midline and a much wider flat section along the center. These bothered me to the extent that I asked Jason to check the rest of his stock on hand to see if mine was mis-milled, which he very kindly did, explaining that they were all like that. I also inquired of Spyderco C&S and got a follow up telling me that's the way they're made now. I wrote to Eric Glesser but never heard back.

Anyway, that feature is something I've gotten used to and it doesn't bother me anymore. I kinda like studying it and checking out the wicked tiny flutes as they grow finer and finer toward the front, transitioning to a radial pattern emanating from the pivot. Pretty cool, actually.

BTW, I just sold my first Millie--digicam/DLC--which was the last remaining part of a 3 knife collection of matching Military, ParaMilitary 2, and PM3. The PM2 was sold on the Exchange and my knife-carrying son was smart enough to admire the PM3 on his birthday, so that's his now. Still got the 2 KW exclusives--Dark Green G10 CTS204P and Ti framelock/CF S90V. Love Millies--I've bought 2 for my son and will probably acquire more going forward.

fpTAnpq.jpg

Nice Jack, I've been interested in one of those for a while. It's a big knife though... if like to get my hand son one first. That Damascus is beautiful

Thanks for the compliment. It really is a beautiful knife, but like you said it is big! I don’t carry it too often, but when o do I always enjoy it. Very smooth action.

That ladder damascus ti Spine is gorgeous as well. How is the action? Good Middle finger flip?

As to the action on the Spine - was a little gritty from the factory. It has smoothed out with use, but no where near a middle finger flip. Action wise it wants to be a CRK, but it’s not.;)

Thanks for the compliment. It really is a beautiful knife, but like you said it is big! I don’t carry it too often, but when o do I always enjoy it. Very smooth action.

As to the action on the Spine - was a little gritty from the factory. It has smoothed out with use, but no where near a middle finger flip. Action wise it wants to be a CRK, but it’s not.;)

Interesting. I picked up the DPX aculus flipper (same knife but from DPX direct) and the action took some tuning but it's very smooth now and middle finger flips as well and flipper tab.

I loved it so much I've been looking at the Damascus ti Spine. Does it open with the thumb hole easily at least? Or flick with a wrist flick?

Interesting. I picked up the DPX aculus flipper (same knife but from DPX direct) and the action took some tuning but it's very smooth now and middle finger flips as well and flipper tab.

I loved it so much I've been looking at the Damascus ti Spine. Does it open with the thumb hole easily at least? Or flick with a wrist flick?

It does open easily with the thumb, and it will flick out with the proper technique.

Back