Project #635 in the books and in the mail

Discussion in 'T.M. Hunt Custom Knives' started by TMHunt, Jul 22, 2013.

1. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012
    Man I really like how you got that set up. It looks like from my pics that the browns match nicely too.

2. PERRO

PERRO

Jan 21, 2013
    HMM,... better lighting conditions & photos..
    [​IMG]

Pretty darn close :cool:

3. PERRO

PERRO

Jan 21, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Feeling a little better today & started playing with my " Knife Sharpener ".

I cant' get the hang of free-hand sharpening a knife on any stones. I recently saw a review on " U - Tube ", of the " KME Sharpener " ( Dean O ) .. and bought one.

I can now put a razors edge.. on most of my Knives / Arrow Broadheads , that will fit within the clamps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZQWhTGkb5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mtz0aNJBCY

I picked the " Diamond Stones Kit " , along with a few extra ones : Ex - course Diamond & extra fine white honing stone.

I also ordered a few leather strops, cut specifically to fit the " KME Sharpener ".
    http://www.stropman.com

[​IMG]
    Sharpening Stones on left / Strops & Strop compounds on Right.

I've already used it on all of my other knives, & had some difficulties, with larger thick blade knives.
    [​IMG]
    My solution,..use an " Adjustable Height , Pistol Rest ", to keep the blade balanced, & stable.

The " M-18 & Yuma " were already pretty sharp. So, I decided to use the Strop & Compound , to Polish the Edge.
    I used a Honing stone & Black Marker, to find & adjust for the correct edge angle, & then used the Strop / Compounds for a Polish.

The curved edge on the " M- 18 " , posed another issue to overcome. My " KME Sharpener " , came with a " Round Diamond Rod ", for use with serrated Blades. It will work, to keep that portion of the blade sharp :thumbup:

The " Polish " was most noticeable on the " M-18 Blade ".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. OutdoorsFamilyMan4

OutdoorsFamilyMan4

Jan 20, 2012
    I completely agree. that is exactly what I would want for myself: a knife that looks like it's been handed down for generations, but still just as beautiful and functional as the day it was made. that Yuma is stunning.

5. PERRO

PERRO

Jan 21, 2013
    I Just received a package in todays mail, & added a photo to update my " #635 Project "; Bushwacker Set :emot-yarr:
    [​IMG]
    M-18 / Yuma / Magua / Hornet

6. Jerry D.

Jerry D.

Sep 17, 2008
    [​IMG]

Nice.

7. PERRO

PERRO

Jan 21, 2013
    I finally made the time to pickup my " Retirement Badge " last week, & decided to end this thread, with one last photo.;)
    [​IMG]
    * Honorably Retired *

PAPI, Theee Junkyard Perro :eek:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. tman038

tman038

Dec 21, 2011
    very cool. great knives and setup. congrats on retirement. nice ending pic.

9. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012
    Ditto!....... Perro, send me your shirt size, I got a free "retirement" t-shirt for you. ;)

10. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    Congrats on the blades, and retirement.

11. 31niner

31niner

Jun 9, 2013
    Congratulations on you retirement :applause: hope you can get lots of R and R now

12. PERRO

PERRO

Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    1066vik and Murphnuge like this.
  13. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    nice setup love the curly maple

14. gundy

gundy

Apr 6, 2001
    This set is brilliant. Email sent Todd. Might need to do something similar.

15. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    Give him a few days. Post Blade Show is a cool down period. He's in TN with his family this week.

16. gundy

gundy

Apr 6, 2001
    Thx Murph...

Murphnuge likes this.