Project: First axe restoration

So I happened to stop by the Ace HW store downtown. Picked up some supplies (a couple nicholson files and handles for them, a good rasp, a file card, a coping saw, etc). Then I decided to check out the replacement handles section for kicks. I'd come to note based on previous searches that most 14" handles are sanded down to fit hatchet heads with eyes that are 1-1/2" x 1/2". Mine happens to be a bit larger at 1-3/4" x 3/4".

They had a total of four 14" handles, the first three fitting my earlier assumption - 1-1/2" x 1/2". Then I happened upon one that looked as though it hadn't been sanded down - it was actually a bit larger than my needed dimensions! Guess I lucked out so I picked it up. Not the best quality all-white, perfect grained handle and was pretty varnished up but I don't think that's quite as critical for a hatchet as it is for a full sized felling axe.

So here it is after getting the varnish off:
P1070149.jpg

It took me a fair bit of carving/rasping just to get the head to fit on:
P1070151.jpg

And from there it was a long and laborious process of carving/rasping, test fitting, beating the head off, and repeating until I eventually got it to shoulder up:
P1070152.jpg

P1070159.jpg

P1070162.jpg

I then pounded in the wedge (which seemed rather iffy and then actually split on me right towards the end) then gave the handle a number of coats of linseed oil (which it sucked right up as it was probably very dried out due to the varnish):
P1070166.jpg

P1070165.jpg

P1070164.jpg

P1070176.jpg

And seeing as though it's now shaving sharp, it's not exactly safe without a sheath. I was originally going to make my own for it, but I apparently need to take a trip to Tandys to pick some more up as I've practically run out.

Luckily though, I had this spare sheath from my GB Scandi. The inside was somewhat torn up so I contacted GB for a replacement and they sent me one free of charge! In trying to be green, I decided that if I fixed it up, I could adapt it to this hatchet.

So I decided a leather spacer would to keep it from wiggling, and a button-snap would be put in further down the strap:
P1070171.jpg

Snap fitted, just needs the leather spacer to keep it from moving around:
P1070174.jpg

And finally, the completed product!:
P1070175.jpg

Last edited:
A very nice labor and gesture of love. I'm sure that your Grandfather will be delighted. One can appreciate the work that you put into the restoration of his axe.

hi all new to the site but love the pics and hope to have some of mine up real soon. i was lucky enough to have a great grandfather who operated a farm and took pride in his tools, so i recently came across a dozen or so ax, maul, pick and bush ax blades in different stages of age. i just finished my first resto on a small hudson bay style. so hope to have some pics up soon. only prob is no before pic.
thanks for your time

Back