Protecting Knife Intellectual Property

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Cliff Carter Knives, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    The way I read this it seems to me that the person that contacted Cliff Carter Knives wasn't even the maker that Cliff's knife was similar to.

So far the few knives I have designed and made have all drawn off of handles, blades, shapes, ideas and looks that I like in other knives. My designs have been hybrids of two or three elements that were put together and then adjusted until I decided I liked the look. Even with that process I found a rather similar bird and trout on the internet to one I made a couple years ago.

Cliff Carter Knives likes this.
  2. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    I make a lot of Scagel style knives and a few Randall style replica knives. I did contact Randall knives and asked their permission to make replicas of their knives and they told me as long as I don't use their trade mark it should be fine. I you contact this other maker and ask for permission the probably will say yes.

3. Cliff Carter Knives

Cliff Carter Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 30, 2011
    This is correct, it was not the original maker, it was another knife maker who brought it to my attention.

I sent him an email, hopefully he gets back to me so if it ever comes up again I can reference that approval!

4. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Lets see the knife!

5. Cliff Carter Knives

Cliff Carter Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 30, 2011
    Here’s the knife in question. Top pic is the blank. I used the blade design from the skeletonized skinner I designed below it, and added a different style handle. I guess it turned out very similar to another makers knife.

112DBB22-83B8-4518-9E33-69A42C95B2AF.jpeg 27F30C63-F796-4246-BE2E-C1292A61EC2F.jpeg

tkroenlein likes this.
  6. scott kozub

scott kozub Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't know about that particular design but profile wise if it works and works well it has probably been done. If it original its likely original for a reason.

Accents are different. I think there's also more concern in folders. Think spider hole or hinderer lock bar design

7. tkroenlein

tkroenlein

Dec 10, 2016
    There are several makers that make a knife in that general shape. There really is nothing new in the knife world.

8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I like it :) Can I get permission to make one :D So we can share the blame for copying :rolleyes:

DustinY and Cliff Carter Knives like this.
  9. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Yahhhh....I think it is too similar. Probably best that you finish the knife up and send it to me. I will make sure it doesn't cause any more problems. :D

10. Travis_Wright

Travis_Wright

Jan 27, 2019
    The guy who called you out is a complete douche based on that photo. Thats one of the most common edc styles right now. I'd tell him to get a life - or better yet, just ignore him.

DeadboxHero and DustinY like this.
  11. Cliff Carter Knives

May 30, 2011
    Haha you guys crack me up! Sounds like I’m in the clear and likely don’t even need to “ask for permission” from the maker who has a blade that looks like it.

I also want to add that the gentlemen who alerted me to it had no malice, I think it was more a heads up than anything else. I brought it here to get a better understanding and make sure as I continue to make knives that I have some sense for when there could be a potential issue with similar designs from different people.

This thread has definitely made me feel a lot better about things though, thank you all!

12. kbright

kbright

Jun 27, 2004
    Does anyone know of examples where a knife design element was officially accused of violating intellectual property protections?
    I know several folding knife elements are patented. Have they ever taken action against other makers?

13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I have a friend who created was making pretty unique designs in folding knives. He created a pattern of blade and handle shape I had never seen before. Gave it a unique name.

Within weeks, it seemed, there were other makers reproducing the design, including name.

One maker indicated a customer wanted a copy of said knife.

I've seen many other makers do copies now, including the name.

Many patterns become common over time.

I've seen other accuse "copying" when some one makes handle scales our of multi layered liners, etc.

Some makers have put their patterns out there to use. (The Bose patterns like a Lanny's clip etc).

Try not to be too concerned.

Cliff Carter Knives and Steven65 like this.
  14. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    @Bill DeShivs Hibben's Rambo III knife, and Crain's Predator machete are both trademarked, I believe. There are a couple of others I can think of, but it is not common.

Sam

15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Sam,
    I'm sure the names are trademarked, but I doubt the knives are.
    My Leverletto name is trademarked, but it doesn't cover the design.

razor-edge-knives and AVigil like this.
  16. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the design is covered, as it is very distinctive. I think the name got it's own protections, also.

17. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
  18. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Corrected. The internet will help you on the rest of your quest.

Sam

19. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Is it the design or the name protected?

I provided a link and now it is your turn.

20. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Both, in a way. Design of the knife is protected, and "Rambo" is protected, also. Take the L like a man.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.