prototype 4 inch Gunhammer pics

I requested pics from the winner of the 4 inch prototype Gunhammer contest since many people, myself included, have not seen what the final product looks like. He emailed me pics that he took from his phone since he doesn't know how to upload them here. I'll ask him to leave comments on what he thinks about the knife when he sees this thread. I never ever get tired of seeing ETAC.

Click the pics for the higher resolution versions:

More pics below in reply #7.

Last edited:
It's...it's nearly perfect. THAT'S my knife right there, minus the anodization. It's exactly how I envisioned it being too. Love that FFG and satin polish. And the ETAC screams to be held. Darrel strikes again.

Thanks for the pics, Hark. I'm just going to save these in my "special" folder.

Wow, that's incredible. :eek:

What will the differences be between this and a custom GH? This one, being a one-off proto, appears to be a custom (with the DDR logo and Celtic Cross on the pivot and clip). Will the production HTM version have the same pivot and logo as the 3.5" HTM Gunhammer?

Wow, that's incredible. :eek:

What will the differences be between this and a custom GH? This one, being a one-off proto, appears to be a custom (with the DDR logo and Celtic Cross on the pivot and clip). Will the production HTM version have the same pivot and logo as the 3.5" HTM Gunhammer?

It is a custom Gunhammer, not an HTM. I don't think it's a one-off. It's merely one of the first, probably the first of the 4 inch custom Gunnies with a torpedo blade. I know one other person has the RC2 blade version. The HTM version will probably have aluminum scales (my guess anyway). I dunno if someone posted a picture of the new style HTM pivots or if I did, but it looks like a triangular swirly thing. I'll get pics in the m390 thread of what it looks like once I finish re-profiling the demo unit.

And I see I have a few more questions to ask Darrel.

EDIT: If I had to guess, and I'll confirm this once I get a reply back from Darrel, customs differ from HTMs in the
-pivot design (Celtic versus tri wing thing)
-jimping pattern (jeep tread pattern versus traditional)
-pocket clip design (Celtic cross motif on the customs on a low ride clip)
-handle material (titanium versus type III hard anno'ed alu)
-thumbstud/stop pin design
-blade finish (satin, matte, etc)
-and possibly inlay choices (yep, you can even get HTMs with inlays).

Also, all non-assisted customs come with bearings to my knowledge.

Last edited:
It is a custom Gunhammer, not an HTM. I don't think it's a one-off. It's merely one of the first, probably the first of the 4 inch custom Gunnies with a torpedo blade. I know one other person has the RC2 blade version. The HTM version will probably have aluminum scales (my guess anyway). I dunno if someone posted a picture of the new style HTM pivots or if I did, but it looks like a triangular swirly thing. I'll get pics in the m390 thread of what it looks like once I finish re-profiling the demo unit.

And I see I have a few more questions to ask Darrel.

EDIT: If I had to guess, and I'll confirm this once I get a reply back from Darrel, customs differ from HTMs in the
-pivot design (Celtic versus tri wing thing)
-jimping pattern (jeep tread pattern versus traditional)
-pocket clip design (Celtic cross motif on the customs on a low ride clip)
-handle material (titanium versus type III hard anno'ed alu)
-thumbstud/stop pin design
-blade finish (satin, matte, etc)
-and possibly inlay choices (yep, you can even get HTMs with inlays).

Also, all non-assisted customs come with bearings to my knowledge.
Yep, I know this one is a custom and what the various differences are between customs and HTMs. Sorry that the first sentence of my post was so ambiguous -- when I asked what the difference would be between a custom GH and "this", I was referring to the 4" HTM Gunhammers in general, not to this particular knife (which is itself a custom -- that's why I pointed out that it was marked 'DDR' instead of 'HTM' and had the Celtic Cross pivot/clip). The question I was trying to get at was: how close is this to what we can expect from the finished 4" HTM Gunhammer in terms of materials, design (especially things like the clip, blade finish, etc.), and so forth?

Last edited:
Gotcha. I emailed Darrel and asked him about it. Will find out soon enough.

More pics. Click for the higher res versions from his cam phone.

Last edited:
I cannot remember the last time I felt this excited for a knife. In fact I can't remember the last time I felt this excited about anything, except maybe getting a Super Nintendo when I was 8 years old.

This is a dream knife. Please let us know when we have the green light to place custom orders!

The question I was trying to get at was: how close is this to what we can expect from the finished 4" HTM Gunhammer in terms of materials, design (especially things like the clip, blade finish, etc.), and so forth?

Darrel says that the knife will be very close to custom. The blade finish will not be. The finish will remain similar to what the HTMs have now, which is DLC or non-glare. The frame will be titanium on the first run. Bearings will be but into everything in the future IF the knife allows it.

Please let us know when we have the green light to place custom orders!
Pretty sure you can already place orders for customs with the understanding that you get put into a queue. But email him to double check. When your order comes up, he'll start working on it. I placed my custom order when the 4 inch Gunhammer was just a thought in Darrel's head, over a year ago.

Darrel says that the knife will be very close to custom. The blade finish will not be. The finish will remain similar to what the HTMs have now, which is DLC or non-glare. The frame will be titanium on the first run. Bearings will be but into everything in the future IF the knife allows it.
Awesome! :thumbup:

Pretty sure you can already place orders for customs with the understanding that you get put into a queue. But email him to double check. When your order comes up, he'll start working on it. I placed my custom order when the 4 inch Gunhammer was just a thought in Darrel's head, over a year ago.

Do you have any idea how long typical custom orders take to process and execute? I don't have all the funds yet, but I'd like to get in line because I'll be ready in a few months.

Do you have any idea how long typical custom orders take to process and execute? I don't have all the funds yet, but I'd like to get in line because I'll be ready in a few months.

Wish I could tell you that from experience, but since mine is still not here, I don't know. Email Lisa. PM me if you need the address.

Definitely longer than a few months, so put that order in now! :D

That's truly a gorgeous knife. If I owned it I couldn't dare carry it for fear of it getting scratched.

That's truly a gorgeous knife. If I owned it I couldn't dare carry it for fear of it getting scratched.
I thought about that for my custom order, which is why the handles will be bead blasted and the blade stone washed. Can't scratch what already has scratches all over it.

Back