1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Important Info! PSA: If you shop at GP Knives, check your credit card statements.

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by jeffsenpai, Aug 23, 2019.

1. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    EDIT: UPDATE 9.18.2020 AT THE BOTTOM

Hey Bladeforums,

Like some of you, I use a virtual credit card when I shop online, this way each merchant I shop at gets its own unique credit card #, and that card is locked to only be valid at that one merchant.

Unfortunately today I saw two unauthorized charges to the credit card that I use exclusively at GP Knives. Large attempted purchases at tiqets.com and buybuybaby.com - Luckily these charges were immediately denied since the virtual card number is set to only work for GP Knives.

I hope this is a random occurrence, and not a sign that GPK has been compromised, but if you shop there, it can't hurt to check your statements for the card(s) you used to make the purchase.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    sektor, tyyreaun, 357snubnose and 4 others like this.
  2. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    @gpknives y'all may want to check your security.

I think GPKnives are some of the best, but this is good to know. I trust them to handle this.

MJ713 and bikerector like this.
  3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. I watch my bills pretty closely, but if something turns up I will now have an idea where the source is.

4. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    Might "sticky" this thread, bump for now.

WValtakis likes this.
  5. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    @gpknives This is potentially a very serious issue. I'm surprised that the vendor hasn't replied to this thread. In the meantime, I'll be checking my statements and holding off on future purchases.

6. gpknives

gpknives

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi guys! The OP, Jeff, contacted us via email at the same time he posted here and we did respond to him immediately. As he has made this a public topic, we would like to go ahead and share the same information we've shared with him with you all.

Firstly, we take the security of our site VERY seriously and reports such as this are treated with our utmost attention. Our website functions on the Magento platform and we utilize Authorize.net to process payments -- both of these platforms are up to date with all security patches and both are also highly regarded for their security. Currently, we have no known vulnerabilities and have had no other reports from our patrons of any issues such as this. We did pass this information along to our web development team for review and they have also been unable to detect any vulnerabilities at this time.

I hope this information helps! If anyone has any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out here or email me directly at [email protected].

Stay Sharp - Jamie

Rupestris, brancron, MJ713 and 8 others like this.
  7. Beak14

Beak14 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 13, 2015
    After reading @gpknives post, it makes me wonder if the security issue's on the OP's side? Of course, just because Magento and Authorize.net didn't find anything, it doesn't mean that there isn't something there, right? Makes you wonder, huh?

8. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
  9. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
  10. Beak14

Beak14 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 13, 2015
  11. jeffsenpai

Feb 24, 2010
    Yes, I should have updated. GP Knives contacted me right away (on a weekend!) and let me know they got my message. Good on them for being on top of it! :thumbsup:

mfunnell likes this.
  12. sektor

sektor

Sep 19, 2009
    @jeffsenpai, thanks for posting this thread.
    I had a similar problem. I placed 2 international orders in this store, one in June and one in July.
    3 weeks ago I received an SMS from my credit company that the transaction was canceled. I immediately called to my credit company.
    I was told that the scammers tried to conduct two transactions on my credit card, which were rejected.
    Of course I canceled a credit card.
    But all the time I wondered where my credit card information was stolen from. I know now.
    P.S. @gpknives

Ramrodmb likes this.
  13. jeffsenpai

Feb 24, 2010
    I hate to dredge up an old thread. But it has happened again! My virtual credit card that I have been using at GPKnives exclusively was hit this morning for charges at Match.com and Pacsun.

Of course the charges did not go through, since the virtual card is locked to only one merchant, but this is a disturbing pattern. I love @gpknives but they need to get it together. How many other customers using regular cards are being stolen from and not noticing until later!

14. gpknives

gpknives

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear that you have again had your card compromised. I'd like to ask a few related questions concerning your virtual card which I'll send over via email very shortly to make sure we are investigating the right areas on our end.

This post unfortunately leaves us in a very awkward position as a retailer as we're left defending our site security against the word of a customer. While I wouldn't be as bold to state that we're immune from any and all breaches (even the largest tech companies have had issues here), I would be pretty confident in stating that we don't believe there are any security holes on our end.

Since your last order (late July according to my records) we have processed a few thousand orders, with no other accusations, emails, phone calls or other customers raising similiar concerns. If this was a widespread problem we almost certainly would have had multiple complaints by now.

Our store still runs on the Magento platform with the latest security patches applied on an Amazon AWS server and is maintained by some very knowledgeable Magento developers (Swift Otter Solutions). These guys literally write developer certification guides for the Magento platform.

All of that said, we'll still be turning this information over to our developers for review in the interest of security.

Should anyone have any questions please feel free to post or contact us via email.

brancron, KELAMA and tyyreaun like this.
  15. jeffsenpai

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for the answer. I replied to you email.

I don't mean to sound aggressive or accusatory at all, but certainly find it odd that the same thing has happened twice at the same retailer. Especially given how much I shop online lol.

I really hope I am just unlucky and everything checks out OK :thumbsup:

tyyreaun likes this.
  16. JubilantBear

JubilantBear

Feb 28, 2018
    I purchased something online from gpknives last month and so far so good (knock on wood).

If anything happens I will chime in here, just a regular card so yeah let's see.

17. jeffsenpai

Feb 24, 2010
    That about fits. Scary.

18. Dragon_Man

Dragon_Man

Apr 26, 2003
    I am a student of Cyber Security. And it is scary out there. I check my accounts daily.