Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Agreed! Freakin' gorgeous Scott! :cool: I might have to get one of those from you someday. :thumbsup:

Scott, what can you tell me about these chisels? They are in my local flea market.
kiO8mfP.jpg

"Maybe" L & I J White Chisels out of Buffalo NY in the late 1800s. What size are they? Any maker's mark? Are they imprinted - Buffalo NY with a date?

Without knowing more I'm guessing they are at least $100.00 over priced each. If they are L&IJW chisels they are generally very affordable in the secondary market - much less than $100.00 - more like $20.00 to $50.00 for big and great condition.
Laminated steel that holds a good edge.

BUT - you didn't ask me :rolleyes:

Here is a link to a laminated big Buck chisel in better condition that sold for $100.00. https://www.jimbodetools.com/produc...g-chisel-marked-charles-buck-cast-steel-70594

:) Ray

Last edited:
"Maybe" L & I J White Chisels out of Buffalo NY in the late 1800s. What size are they? Any maker's mark?
Without knowing more I'm guessing they are at least $100.00 over priced each.

BUT - you didn't ask me :rolleyes:

Here is a link to a laminated big Buck chisel in better condition that sold for $100.00. https://www.jimbodetools.com/produc...g-chisel-marked-charles-buck-cast-steel-70594

:) Ray
I'll take a close look when I go back in. I figured they were a bit steep on the prices.

Thanks again. They are expensive but they are also super cool.
The wood box underneath them looks to be an old Stanley plane. I need to look at that when I go back in, too.

They are definitely old timber framing socket chisels, if they're White chisels probably laminated with a piece of high carbon steel underneath. To say they are price a little too high is an understatement should be priced around $40 - $50 each. I've seen them before, but never priced that high.

Scott, what can you tell me about these chisels? They are in my local flea market.
kiO8mfP.jpg

They are definitely old timber framing socket chisels, if they're White chisels probably laminated with a piece of high carbon steel underneath. To say they are price a little too high is an understatement should be priced around $40 - $50 each. I've seen them before, but never priced that high.
Great to know. They are the first I've seen and they look cool as hell but they are certainly out of my price range. Perhaps if I was a shipbuilder it would be different.

Mack - You could use them to build a dock - if the boat does not sail :)

Ray

I have a vintage hand plane that I've been on the fence about restoring. There seems to be plenty of them at the local antique shops so I don't think it's one that people will get upset about. I'll look for a makers mark and research before taking the grinder to it.

The one on the left in my pic is probably close to that size. Not sure how long but at least 3" wide.

With a short handle like that and the ferrule at the end of the handle this was not used as a slick or a peeler but as a chisel to be hit with a mallet. Likely for timber framing or similar heavy work.

Ray

Thanks for the education. I love learning new stuff.

Back