Recommendation? Pursue Grail? - or get a . . .

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I haven’t had much spare time lately to be on here but I’m glad I was able to help a fellow hog out. Since we are in the middle of a move I’ve come to find out I have a huge collection and need to downsize. If anyone is looking for something feel free to message me.

Do you have any FMV14s, Hell Razors, Tank Busters, or Geminis that you're looking to get rid of? ;););)

Or Battle Sharks?!

Ken, I think you will find that your grail changes over the years almost like drawing a spiral where you change then go back then change then go back. I no longer have a grail. It has taken me a few decades to realize that the grail just does not exist. Enjoy the search though!!!!

Cobalt and Blueoak, you both offer words of wisdom, and IMHO, are both correct despite perhaps perceived contradictory positions. I have been collecting - and almost always using - custom and semi-custom blades since the late '70's. Cobalt, I am totally hip to your perspective. If there was indeed one true "Grail" for me, than I would have stopped my quest probably 30-some years ago! No, you are of course correct, one has many grails over time. It really is a game of whack-a-mole if one is bitten by the steel bug. The wisdom is truly in understanding this so one does not commit financial suicide in order to obtain one's "Grail," only to find that one ends up with yet another . . . and another . . . and another ad infinitum. So, I should have said at the outset of this thread, "my current grail!"

All that said, I have my NMSFNO in hand courtesy of the other Ken. I must say that I get the never-ending raves for this blade. It is tip heavy just enough to be a great chopper without sacrificing overall general purpose balance and "hand feel." The SF handle is excellent in the saber grip position. The blade shape is timeless. The Shop's Meltdown tx is fantastic! First I have had, and I must admit, a wee bit better than my own efforts to mod my blades in that direction! Really loving it and believe I shall continue to do so. Cannot wait to get her into the wilderness for some proper bonding time! Not sure that she shall replace my beloved ASH-1s as GOAT, but perhaps a close second at that, and that says a LOT. Right, Andy?!

I know, I know - pictures or it did not happen! HaHa! In an act of profound understatement, I shall say that I am not that good with tech. I have posted photos online before but it has been a while, so I will figure it out again and do so! Another big thank you to Ken!

Cheers!

The funny thing about finally getting that grail, be it a knife or gun or whatever, I have found that I no sooner get it then my brain comes up with another grail that I must have. For me I think the hunt is almost better than the actual getting it.

Garth

Thanks for weighing in, Garth! If, however, the anticipation and hunt are better than the realization of the search, I humbly suggest that you simply need better Grails! :)

(I definitely know what you mean!)

Ken

Hey, Garth - but can't you just go ahead and make your own grail? I mean, right?!

Now, guns, ok. I am sure you share our common experience there! (wait, you aren't a master custom gunsmith and maker, too, are you!)

Grail....never ending story.
838efba777458e640de2429980c1d30c.jpg

860ee2de380679bde88a71937a833843.jpg

The original hellrazor was a fighter, being smaller and lighter weight. The new hellrazor 2 is larger and heavier, and is on the lines really of the nano fish. Love the skinny ash1 for the woods and a sjtac on my LBE. The nmsfno is a nice blade and one will come around. I like them too!

fbusmc, I toyed with a HR2, but, well yeah, while I am sure it is great for what it is created to be, it seems very different than the HR/MR of old, as you say, and I have and will take a pass. I don't think it can do a thing my newly-acquired NMSFNO can't do (thanks, Ken!). Funny you mention both the NMSFNO and the Skinny ASH, because right now they are my two favorite med-lg Busses. Agreed the Skinny ASH is a perfect words companion, and light enough that I have packed it for 50-100 milers to boot. Pretty sure my NMSFNO will not be making those trips, but for car, camp, and day hikes, most definitely!

Back