1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Quality Folding EDC Knife under $40?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TripleB67, Jan 28, 2016.

1. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Take a look at the Kershaw Strobe. 3.3 inch blade. 8cr13mov blade. Unassisted flipper. Under $40. Flips great and a very versatile blade. It's probably my favorite "budget" knife.

2. TripleB67

TripleB67

Jan 28, 2016
    Great looking knife, under budget, like the blade, and love the idea of a flipper more and more.

Thanks.

TripleB67

3. TheOutdoorNerd

TheOutdoorNerd

Oct 30, 2015
    The best thing about the Link is: once you grow to love it, then upgrade to the ZT version and get the better build quality and materials.

4. GlockandBalls

GlockandBalls

Jul 30, 2013
  5. 155440

Aug 7, 2012
    I love the buck vantage's design but man are they hit or miss. Probably my favorite sub 40 knife if you can get one without horrendous off centering. I really like the look of the Kershaw made Emerson knives.

6. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    Another vote for the Kershaw Link. I got the aluminum handled version first because it looks better in my opinion. Got my son a GRN Link with the stonewash blade and liked how it felt in hand better so I also got the GRN version with a blackwash blade. Love this knife, it makes up part of my poor man's EDC.

Attached Files:

7. nlewman

nlewman

Dec 26, 2015
    I own quite a few knives, but no matter what I'm carrying, my brawler rides in my pocket. It takes a very nice edge, and it's not too bad to sharpen.

However, I am guilty of just sharpening over the tanto point. At this time, mine is more of a very thickly spined drop point. I love it.

8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Here are a few you have not considered. All of these are true EDC size. All are less than $40 and some less than $30.

The Benchmade Lone Wolf Mini Landslide. It has N680 steel that will not rust yet holds a good edge. From knifeworks.com
    [​IMG]

The Spyderco Persistence.
    [​IMG]

Cold Steel Voyager with BD-1 steel.
    [​IMG]

Cold Steel Tuff Lite.
    [​IMG]

9. TripleB67

TripleB67

Jan 28, 2016
    Thanks for everyone's input.

After a lot of reading, searching, watching videos, comparing, thinking about my needs/wants, etc. I think I've narrowed my first non-small-Case type EDC down to three knives: Kershaw Cryo, Kershaw RJ Tactical, and Ontario Rat II.

I appreciate all the help, advice, and knowledge you passed along my way!

TripleB67

10. Pioneer Valley

Pioneer Valley

Nov 7, 2014
    Don't forget the usa made kershaw link.

11. TripleB67

TripleB67

Jan 28, 2016
    Really like the looks of the Link but due some unclear knife laws in my state I'm trying to stay 3.0" blade or under.

TripleB67

12. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have an original Cryo and I really wanted to like it, it's a nice knife but not easy to hold on to. Something Kershaw addressed with the Cryo G10.

13. snatchss454

snatchss454

Feb 2, 2016
    This is my first post. I was doing some research and came across your thread and figured Id lend you a hand. Here is a cold steel voyager for $30/40 depending on size. Problem is(sort of) its a 50/50 blade and I'm not a fan of the cold steel serrations, but maybe you are. Killer blade for 30 to 40 bones.

3"
    https://www.cutleryshoppe.com/colds...0edgebladewstonewashfinish-griv-exhandle.aspx

4"
    https://www.cutleryshoppe.com/colds...0edgebladewstonewashfinish-griv-exhandle.aspx

Regards,
    Shane