Question about the new batch of Geminis that are being shipped

What prompted the change on the blade spine? I really like the first run of things when RAYLACONICO was stamped in the spine. But the one I got doesn't have that anymore. Also, the billboarding has changed on the clip side of the blade.

Overall impression of the knife is great...not perfect...but a damn nice knife. I love the fit and finish of the thing, it is silky smooth so far. If I had to nitpick some flaws it would come down to these three things.

1. Needs a longer clip. It doesn't feel 100% solid in my pocket, I'm a bit paranoid that it is going to fall out.
  2. The blade is fairly sharp. I wouldn't exactly call it shaving sharp but it's not bad. It won't quite do a smooth push cut through paper, more of a ragged push cut.
  3. With the show side of the knife scale being the exact same contour that the back it, it is a bit hard to disengage the lock. I would have liked to see a little cut out to make that easier.

I realize that these are mostly subjective but I just wanted to give a bit of feedback. Great knife :)

Just received my Gemini a couple of days ago and i love the knife!

It's a very smooth flipper, nice and thin in the pocket and feels great in hand along with being the perfect size for EDC IMO.

I have to agree with jester that a little relief would make for easier disengagement of the lock but still not to bad.

Every bit as good as any ZT iv'e owned.

I have all four Kizer-Ray Laconico collabs, in Ti and G10.

All four are beautiful and issue-free.

The Vantage Gemini and the Spyderco Positron are my two favorite new folders.

In several ways, I prefer the Vantage Gemini to the more expensive and wonderful Ti version: Love the feel of the G10 scales. Not too grippy, not too smooth. Just right. (Even better would be a sculpted Anso-pattern.)

I prefer flippers that I also can open manually. I can't do that with my Ti Gemini or Intrepid, both frame locks. The two liner lock Vantage versions are easy: I just slide the blade open with my thumb. Kind of like using a Spydie hole but without the hole. Or sliding open an old-style Chris Reeve Mnandi. (The current version is designed for two-handed opening.)

The Vantage Gemini is even better than its prototype, which lacked caged bearings. And I much prefer the stonewashed blade on the Vantage Gemini over the still beautiful satin blade on the Vantage Intrepid.

This is a home-run for Kizer and designer-custom maker Ray Laconico.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass those along for consideration.

Flash900:

just a quick thing: the new series for 2016 is the VANGUARD. Vantage is a great name, but the purpose of the Vanguard series is a a rock-solid performer with great designs that fuels the users' interest in exploring the PRIME and BLADESMITH series for even more unique offerings.

Thank you.

Kizer

What prompted the change on the blade spine? I really like the first run of things when RAYLACONICO was stamped in the spine. But the one I got doesn't have that anymore. Also, the billboarding has changed on the clip side of the blade.

I assume you're talking about the G10 linerlock version, in which case the absence of the name on the blade spine is probably due to the cost.

Oh, well that is very interesting! Do you have a picture by any chance? I don't know why they'd stop doing that.
ddbfbcfe2b309f66579c4abdf3b5bdfa.jpg

Nope, the titanium version now has a plain spine.

Did Kizer forget to stamp the spine or was it intentionally left off? My original Gemini titanium has the stamp but I got mine a few months ago.

I prefer flippers that I also can open manually. I can't do that with my Ti Gemini or Intrepid, both frame locks. The two liner lock Vantage versions are easy: I just slide the blade open with my thumb.

I have the all titanium Gemini and Intrepid. You can open both manually without using the flipper. Use your thumb and middle finger to pinch the blade past the detent and then just slide it open the rest of the way with your thumb.

The spines look pretty bare without Ray's signature name....Kizer, how about bringing it back?

Let me bring it up to the production team.

Thank you.

Kizer.

Thanks for the feedback. They asked me about putting my name on the side instead of the spine. I didn't think it was such a big deal so I told them sure go ahead. If customers would prefer my name on the spine I'm sure Kizer can do that in future production.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed that my knife had a naked spine. I still like the knife...a lot. But that little detail just added that little extra punch to the knife that made it look more like a custom. It just had that little bit extra pizazz.

Followup question: I was looking through the Kizer 2016 catalog pdf and noticed that the Gemini pictured had a bit of a relief cutout on the presentation side of the knife for easier access to the lock bar. Is that another change that is coming down the production line? Hell, I make take a dremel to mine :p

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed that my knife had a naked spine. I still like the knife...a lot. But that little detail just added that little extra punch to the knife that made it look more like a custom. It just had that little bit extra pizazz.

Followup question: I was looking through the Kizer 2016 catalog pdf and noticed that the Gemini pictured had a bit of a relief cutout on the presentation side of the knife for easier access to the lock bar. Is that another change that is coming down the production line? Hell, I make take a dremel to mine :p

Only on the Vanguard series Gemini as far as I know.

Thanks for the feedback. They asked me about putting my name on the side instead of the spine. I didn't think it was such a big deal so I told them sure go ahead. If customers would prefer my name on the spine I'm sure Kizer can do that in future production.

Thanks, Ray. I may have to buy another Gemini if they do -- I like the G10 version that much.

Back