Question about the new batch of Geminis that are being shipped

Ouch. I'm definitely glad I got my Gemini last October (and it hasn't left my pocket since). It may sound like a minor issue, but at that price point you really like the extra details.

Yea, I had one from the original run but sold it at the time since it was a production model. Didn't expect a change like this! Will definitely have to wait now until they return the maker stamp to the spine...that's what makes it a Laconico!

I too recently got a Gemini and was disappointed with the changes. I found that the detent on mine was almost nonexistent. Although the flipping was smooth, I feel it would be much snappier if the detent was stronger. Also my blade centering was off and mostly due to a warped blade. Lastly there was a clear burr on the back of the frame from milling. I sent the knife back to have it replaced with what I hope is a better product.

Edit/Update: Returned the knife to Knifecenter. They said that all of the knives had a weak detent and poor blade centering so I opted for the refund. I still would love to own one of these though. :(

Last edited:
Edit/Update: Returned the knife to Knifecenter. They said that all of the knives had a weak detent and poor blade centering so I opted for the refund. I still would love to own one of these though. :(

I'm having a bit of trouble believing (a) that that is actually true, (b) that someone at Knife Center would be able to verify that, and (c) that someone at Knife Center would actually say that.

If someone's got a knife with issues, it's not really helpful if someone else says, "But mine is fine!"

That said, I bought my two Geminis and two Intrepids -- a Ti and a G10 of each -- from three dealers, including KC. All the dealers remarked on the quality of these Laconico collabs.

Except for a mark on the ano of one Ti, all four have been close to perfect. Certainly no weak detents or off-centered blades.

I hope this helps.

I'm lucky to have gotten a perfect Gemini Ti from the first batch.

I'm disappointed that there are such wide discrepancies in the batches that others have received!

If you want some proof I can PM you the emails. Either way it was extremely disappointing as I've been wanting this knife for a long time and thought it would be a gem. So excited for it in fact that I also got a G10 one sent directly to a a guy for custom scales and he agreed that the detent was almost absent when he received it. Sent me a video of him flicking open the blade by just flicking it toward the ground with the blade easily swinging open to full lock. At least with that one he was able to bend the liner over to strengthen it a bit. Blade centering and finish was otherwise perfect.

Seriously -- you want it to be more difficult to open?

Seriously, I'm tired of seeing frame locks (or liner locks) with reliefs.
The gayle bradley was a breath of fresh air
When you get a feeling for the knife it will be easy to close.

I also look forward for the Kizer SLT and the Velox II, both apparently without relief :thumbup:

Just bought a new Vanguard Genini OD green G10. It's smooth and the fit and finish are great, no issues. My only problem is it has slight up and down blade play. The lock bar doesn't fully engage in the lock surface and when forced over, the blade play lessens, but is still present. Never had this problem with a liner lock and I really like this knife. Does this just need a break in period or some type of adjustment?

Hi, EternalRage:

Some break-in time will help the liner locking tab and the blade tang to come to a mutual agreeable spot, and we usually see the problem goes away after the break-in period.

Thank you.

Kizer.

Thanks for the response. It's my first non-assisted flipper purchase and was excited to receive it. Great folder.

Yea, I had one from the original run but sold it at the time since it was a production model. Didn't expect a change like this! Will definitely have to wait now until they return the maker stamp to the spine...that's what makes it a Laconico!
Rec. one last week as it was on backorder. Ray's name was on the spine.

Back