Question for members!

No this is not a contest and no more Astronomy questions
smile.gif

Many dealers want to know how you find them.

Search engines? And if so which ones?

Ads? Links?

Help the dealers who help you.

They all pay for certain ads here and elswhere and they would appreciate your help. Please keep this thread up top so we can get some good feed back.

Also please elaborate, if you can, on how you found your favorite dealer.

Thanks for you help. I am working on a story for our new magazine and this info will help.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

I follow every link on every banner you put up here. It's a great way to find dealers.

I click on the banners constantly.

I'm sorry I missed the contest; astronomy is also a hobby of mine. I use the links here constantly to look at dealers, but I must admit that I usually don't click on the ads. I'll occasionally follow an ad, but you sort of get conditioned to not pay attention to internet ads. I think their effectiveness is a sort of subconcious thing. If you look at an ad a lot, the next time that dealers name comes up (in links or from a search) you're more likely to go there.

Mike
I use the Bladeforums links to the various dealers and manufacturers. Easy and fast.
Thanks
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

Initially, and still occasionally, I used a search engine, alta vista or metacrawler, to see who had the maker or type of knife I wanted. Next would be links from trusted makers or organisations. Last, ads or lists published in one of the top three magazines: KI, Blade, & TK. I'm probably not typical because I surf a lot. But I would say the magazine ads or a referal there are the most effective: a picture is worth a thousand words, and maybe two or three hyperlinks.

BFC links of course and altavista if I'm looking for specific custom knives and or materials.

------------------
Reynaert

I just used a regular search engine with the word "knife".....
This was back when I first established my "web presence"... long before bladeforums ever came into existence.
I found KnifeCenter and have been giving them most of my business ever since...
I do some of my business with ABCD, but I hardly ever follow any links to any other dealers unless they are offering something exclusively that I am interested in.
This has been many moons ago and I just have remained loyal to these guys.
I rarely pay attention to links or dealers unless there is something I am specifically interested in.

Orion

The banners on the forums. Alternatively, picking up on a manufacturer's name in the forums or usenet and then searching through askjeeves.com

-j-

I started with search engines, and still use them. I now find dealers through the GB&U Forum, the banners and recommendations of fellow members.

My favorite internet dealer remains the first I came across; The Knifecenter.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

I really like (and use) the Bladeforums links page, Mike. I've found new custom makers there and it's especially handy for finding dealers that stock specific brands.

Jack

Mike
I use both www.C4.com and www.ask.com as search engines. I get usually good results. I sometimes click on a banner but only if it catches my eye with something I may be looking for.
The best place for finding a dealer is on the BF forums. The guys here will really "tell it like it is".

Dwight

Metacrawler is my primary search engine. I check out multible sites for the best prices. I've had good experience with discountknives so I'm sticking to them. The price plays the biggest part on my decisions.

I began by using the search engines, and ultimately found knifecenter. Bookmarked them, found these forums, and followed interesting banners. Bookmarked everyplace interesting. Now I've got bookmarks for most of the places I usually purchase from, except for Murray Haday, who has a special place in my email client.

Hope that helps somehow...

BF banners and Altavista search results.

NOTHING beats Altavista.
smile.gif

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

I used to use search engines, but now I have the main dealers bookmarked, so I dont use the search engines much anymore.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

It is VERY important that "my" dealers support this site in a POSITIVE way!!!

This site is "TRULY" my home away from home.

Bobby

Mike; I don't need to seek out the dealers. They seek ME out.

AZCK: 'Hey, Walt, guess what we found; a gold coin Sebenza...'

Regarding search engines, are you aware of the parallel search engine, with the somewhat unfortunate name of Dogpile? http://www.dogpile.com/

It runs about 25 or search engines, including Alta Vista, Info Seek, etc. They are all run at once, and you can scan each one to see what was found. I have found this very good for arcane questions. Walt

I find online knife dealers by:

Search Engines - AltaVista, Metacrawler, Yahoo
Links/Banners
BF/KF Postings
Magazine Adds - Blade, KI, TK

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Occasionally I'll check out a site from one of the banners here. This is mostly dealers I haven't heard of yet. Most of my visits are due to good reviews here

Back