Question for you sword guys

I don't see it, try again? you need [..img] and then [/..img] at the end (without the periods)

I don't have a website.

Your comments support my main concern that if it is a Japanese style sword it would likely be used for cutting. Damasteel should do that just fine, but it wouldn't be as good as the ones forged from in Hitachi white paper edge steel. No purpose in making it in the damasteel if you can make it in something else that will work better.

I have decided to make a yataghan in the damasteel. I had a project for the future that would have an ornate gem accented handle. I had planned on doing it in damascus, so this will not be far out of the original plan .... just prettier. If it cuts really well, maybe I'll revisit the wakizashi idea later on.

I will try and do a WIP as I get the project going. I will post it here as well as in shop talk. I never rush a sword project, so it may be a good while before you see anything beyond sketches about this project. I have sword blades I forged 10 years ago in the corner waiting for the bug to strike me to do the fittings.

Thanks for letting me bounce thus off you chaps.
That sounds really interesting and cautiously I’ll say very cool! The yataghan I’m saying, although maybe the way.

I’m a bit of an antique Japanese sword collector and modern I should add. You’ll have two types of customers, those that practice and want to cut mats with it, and those who collect on asthetics alone. Nobody really (unless it’s a damaged or more modern shinsakuto) ever cuts with an antique, but some do have modern made katanas from registered smiths - not cheap (I did it! Fit perfectly for me and I love it) but if you pay for the beauty of the polish......well in my case I still use my martial arts swords for cutting practice this is a display piece.

I even have a very reputable firm on YouTube polishing a sword I recovered in a garage sale. Polished as a gift! So it will never be used or leave my collection. I guess my point is you make beautiful art Stacy, I’m new to the forum but been following you a long time.

It may not be the easiest sell but if it’s a good cutter and it looks nice.....I think it would go. I’m still kinda stuck in the yataghan in my head though....could be really cool!

Back