1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ron finkbeiner jr, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    What would ya'll consider to be the quentessential combat fixed blade?

2. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will

Jun 5, 2012
    The one carried by elite operators. Or at least advertised as the "one" they carry.:p

It take my swatmandu. To big a knife is cumbersome for a full load of gear. Body armor, mags, rifle, pistol, medic bag, water, amongst other items.

To expand a bit, I don't feel any brand blade is the quintessential combat knife. Including the kabar. I'd say the bayonet is the quintessential combat knife.

Eta: I think I'd take my swatmandu attached securely to my iba.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    b00n and Quiet like this.
  3. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0163.JPG

I have always liked the look and size of a medium fixed blade for a soldier, not too big and yet ready to go when called upon, the one I have always liked is the Martin Tactical knives Sandbox Bowie.

Or another favorite would be a EK model 5 with black micarta handles and brass guard, preferably the pre Blackjack ones made in Richmond, Va years ago. Another Ek that I fell for back when Desert Storm happened is an EK model 5, Desert tan with a sharpened spine and and tan parachord wrap. I actually have one, cost 140.00 back then, a lot for a guy just out of college with his first job and starting to collect knives. (Learned a lot since then). Or get the Kabar version of the EK Bowie. Or the Becker 7 with micarta handles.

Lastly, if budget is a concern, any spear pointed blade, such as Ontario Blackbird in 154CM or even some of the Spec Plus line, I have a spear pointed 5in blade in 1095 with rubber handle and metal butt. Or plain jane, the Airforce pilots knife, clip blade leather handle.

All of these are just my opinion, what I like and will vary with their people's tastes. You can search the forums here, there have been lots of threads where soldiers responded to what they carry.

4. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

Dr Heelhook, palonej and F1Lz0r like this.
  5. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    USN Kabar Mk II.

6. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    Easy, long sword.

-Captain Jack

"In my opinion, sir, any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed"

7. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    MercWorx Sniper:D:p
    [​IMG]

8. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    IMG_3268.JPG

9. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    A US Marine Corp Sword backed up by all the other blades, firearms, artillery, choppers, etc. the platoon has access to.

https://www.marlowwhite.com/swords/marine-nco

A fixed blade is nice for formal occasions, weddings, change of command ceremonies, etc. but not very practical in the real world, IMHO.

W. Anderson, Pomsbz and Dair like this.
  10. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Cinguedea, obviously.

My brain clicks on the venerable KaBar MKII or a Randall. That's just what comes to mind quickly for me is all.

Somebody's gonna add Smatchet.

If I thought about it for awhile I'd probably settle on a katana or some sort of long sword.

11. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Leatherman duct-taped to the butt of an M4.

12. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    You just used up Cinguedea AND Smatchet in that one post! :mad:

There’s not much left to suggest other than a Case Peanut... :D

Cvrobinson and palonej like this.
  13. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    This. If you asked for the best my answer would likely differ, but the KABAR has become such a military icon that I would argue that for modern purposes, it is the quintessential combat blade.

14. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    Yeah. Apart from anything else, it is actually a beautiful knife that handles well. 1095 is a useful, no nonsense steel. It’s a good value knife and, as you say, it is utterly iconic.

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  15. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Or the mighty Jarbenza!

F1Lz0r and Pilsner like this.
  16. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Don't forget ballistic knife:D

My brain goes back and forth between Ka-Bar and a Khukuri.

Pilsner likes this.
  17. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Would a Leatherman Squirt inside a Navy Railgun count as a ballistic knife? o_O

18. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Define "combat fixed blade," please. Are you talking a dedicated fighting knife? A "utility" blade?

19. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Any knife I ordered if my wife finds in the mailbox before I get to it is "a ballistic knife"

20. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    Being an Englishman, and being very proud of our Gurkha Regiment, the Khukuri gets my vote. ;)

Dan of Bazz Clazz and Pomsbz like this.