Quick Deployment Folders.

Me and a buddy tried to quick deploy out of our right pocket with the below knives and the following did the best. Out of the pocket and ready for action. They are 1 thru 6 of fastest to slowest.

1. Emerson Commander
2. Kershaw Emerson CQC4KXL
3. Spyderco Vallotton
4. BlackFox BF-111T
5. Ganzo G720
6. Gerber 06 Auto. (military issue)

Seems like the wave design gives you instant point and ready to use deployment of the knife faster than most. I was surprised how what a difference the pocket snag and deploy design made on how fast it presented the business end of a knife. Amazingly fast! Lots faster and life saving then most.

I agree, the Emerson is great. The 4KXL is a very nice folder, nice and big (and heavy!) but very comfortable. Between them and SAK's, I don't have any strong desire in acquiring anything else foldable.

Ultimately, it depends on how familiar you are with your tools...

Also, with these kinda knives, I reckon the following is requisite reading.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/self-defenseexplained.htm

Me and a buddy tried to quick deploy out of our right pocket with the below knives and the following did the best. Out of the pocket and ready for action. They are 1 thru 6 of fastest to slowest.

1. Emerson Commander
2. Kershaw Emerson CQC4KXL
3. Spyderco Vallotton
4. BlackFox BF-111T
5. Ganzo G720
6. Gerber 06 Auto. (military issue)

Seems like the wave design gives you instant point and ready to use deployment of the knife faster than most. I was surprised how what a difference the pocket snag and deploy design made on how fast it presented the business end of a knife. Amazingly fast! Lots faster and life saving then most.

So what do you actually use your knife for on a daily basis ?

Just get a fixed blade.

The intent was speed deployment of the above folders. A fixed blade would have been a no brainer and most likely another thread. The speed of a knifes deployment has nothing to do with intent of use. How fast it can be opened out of the pocket is speed out of the pocket regardless of stubborn box or bad guy. :) I was just sharing a speed test out of the pocket based on those knives.

The safety of the Gerber held it up. Actually I bet my Gerber O6 was #1 to my buddy. I was saddened that the safety put it so low.

I feel obligated to warn you about be aware of your surroundings when using the wave. Reaching into your pocket, pulling a knife out as fast as your can, deploying said knife blade with a loud "thwack" might make some folks feel threatened and scared.

The wave feature was fun to play with but the novelty faded for me. I unloaded my Emersons a long time ago. YMMV.

I feel obligated to warn you about be aware of your surroundings when using the wave. Reaching into your pocket, pulling a knife out as fast as your can, deploying said knife blade with a loud "thwack" might make some folks feel threatened and scared.

The wave feature was fun to play with but the novelty faded for me. I unloaded my Emersons a long time ago. YMMV.

Yup, I agree with this. But the same could be said for other knives that don't look... how shall I put it? "tame"?

A lot of these knives would scare people.

Even SAK's sometimes do that, and that's effectively my EDC.

Same... And I waved everything.

The intent was speed deployment of the above folders. A fixed blade would have been a no brainer and most likely another thread. The speed of a knifes deployment has nothing to do with intent of use. How fast it can be opened out of the pocket is speed out of the pocket regardless of stubborn box or bad guy. :) I was just sharing a speed test out of the pocket based on those knives.
I was just asking because I've never seen or heard of a box, envelope or string that wasn't still there ready to be cut 2 seconds later. It can be fun to challenge your friends to see who's knife Open's faster though. My brother always beats me in the speed race, but he still loses since his knives are from the flea market and mine are always 10x better no matter how relatively inexpensive they are.

Surprised that the auto was not #3

Get yourself an Emerson Wave :) Kershaw sells some cheaper chinese made Emersons if you want to just try it out.

The wave is faster than an auto. I have one wave opener, the Spyderco P'Kal and it opens faster than any of my autos, since it's open as soon as it leaves the pocket.

[video=youtube;Oo_Um0uHJvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo_Um0uHJvM[/video]

Back