Quick video: Rinaldi "Calabria" hand axe

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Breaking down a large branch that had fallen along the fence line in the last storm.

[video=youtube;gafXPHI1Ct4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafXPHI1Ct4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Looks like a hand saw might have been more suited to this task?

I think that demoing this axe by not using it and sawing a branch with a totally different tool wouldn't make much sense, now would it? :D I do get a lot of use out of my hand saws, but that wasn't the point of this video. :)

Also, it actually only took about 6 minutes to do the entire job of limbing and sectioning. The saw would have certainly done the job, but an axe is a more broad-application tool. I always carry a saw when I'm out in the woods, but they're no substitute for the versatility of an axe or other chopper. They're great at what they do, but have a more limited scope.

Last edited:
Agreed! :) I only think it's interesting how folks "test" tools at jobs they aren't particularly made for (loose, small, bouncy, tree=bad test for chopper?)
But I realize it's what you had!
Thanks for the post.

Well, it's a very light head, so stuff that size is actually something it's pretty good at! The bounce certainly takes something out of the blows, but the high speed of the head (with little effort) allows it to make a bite before much movement is able to occur. :):thumbup:

Nice looking axe. A little 'sticky'. I think you could have two-handed it a few times and made even better speed.

Easy to haft like a hawk but a better tool. I would think trappers and people that lived in remote areas would appreciate that.

Nice looking axe. A little 'sticky'. I think you could have two-handed it a few times and made even better speed.

The sticking was partly from the wood being so green. I took some video chopping some dry stuff, too, but it didn't come out well due to extreme wind blowing the dang mic out. :p I definitely could have two-handed it a few times but I was chopping "lazy". :D The larger versions are thicker in the bit so this one is the thinnest of the bunch. :)

Easy to haft like a hawk but a better tool. I would think trappers and people that lived in remote areas would appreciate that.

Bingo. The shape is still relatively thin but it's a true wedge shape that's much more of a tool and less of a weapon. If planning on packing light one could cut down the handle and then field-fashion something longer if needed, too. :)

Great video. What does it weigh? And that Caffeine-o-vision stuff looks really useful too... ;)

Edit: found my answer on your site - "Weight: 1lb 2oz"

Pretty good performance for a 3/4 pound head.

I think I might have spotted a rare flying snath at 0:32 ;)

Hahaha it's snath migration season right now--didn't you know? :D :D :D

The edge was just as good at the end of the job as when I put it on. The factory edge is sharp by the standard of non-boutique axes and is fully apexed with a burr on it. It makes final sharpening very fast even if you plan on thinning the angle. The bit is forged and ground with a nice taper, but I did bring it to the kind of edge I would personally use.

12oz. Thats a small finish hammer, but most would be better off with this than a house axe. It did real well for being so light.

It's sooooo light, but that long handle lets you really whip it! Bites a lot deeper than one would figure for the low weight.

Thanks for the reply.
It's very nice to know that it comes well done and even nicer to know that it's not only easy to redo but that it'll hold an edge well.

The way it was biting that wood made it look like you put a shaving sharp edge on it !

Not much for carrying an axe in my neck of the woods for general bushcraft duties, but this tool looks like it would be well suited for me.
Thanks for the video.

Where are these available?

Back