Quick video: Rinaldi "Calabria" hand axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by FortyTwoBlades, Nov 14, 2014.

1. MrFixIt

MrFixIt

Jul 28, 2014
    I must have missed it when I went to the site...:(
    Thanks scouter!

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I got cleaned out just the other day on the smallest size, but have the two larger ones in stock still.

3. Bull Winkle

Bull Winkle

Sep 28, 2008
    so besides the weight/length of handle what are the other particulars? country of origin, what kind of steel, hardness qualities

4. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    sounds like really hard wood.
    yeah sure , a saw would work but hey.....

5. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Made in Italy of C45 carbon steel. Not sure of the specified hardness but base on how it responds during sharpening and how it holds its edge in use I'd say it's on the upper end of 55RC. They manage to make it hard enough to take and hold a very keen, thin edge yet have that edge roll rather than chip when pushed past its limit.

Well, a saw is a highly specialized tool. It's the best at what it does...but it kind of sucks at anything outside that narrow scope and it's a lot easier to gank one up. An axe is a more broad-spectrum tool that can be used for a wider variety of tasks.

If memory serves correctly, I think that blowdown was beech? The woods here on the property are almost entirely beech with some interspersed pine, oak, birch, and cedar.

6. chuxwan

chuxwan

Aug 26, 2012
    Holy hell, I didn't see how lightweight it was when you posted this thread. Look out SFA...

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Hahaha--yeah, only a 350g nominal head weight.