Review Raging Jap RJ5

As per usual the reviw can be read in depth on my blog, it is a bit too long to be posted here as a whole unfortenately.

- Serious Japanese EDC-contender

How many knife brands out of Japan are you familiar with? Problably not that many and the ones known to the western markets seems to be scattered along the "folding knife spectrum". At one end you find the simplest versions of Higo No Kamis and in the other one of the most exclusive production brand there is - Rockstead. In between there ain't too many and I myself can just recollect a few such as MCusta, Seki Cut and Moki without "Googlecheating".

It is therefore especially satisfactory to present a rather new brand from the land of the rising sun!

BrfFJn5.jpg

Raging Jap RJ5

The brand is called "Raging Jap" and this particular model is their latest release and are named or rather designated "RJ5". It more than implies how many models the company produced thus far. But I must admit I struggle to find number three in that classification. Besides a couple of Neck-knives and two folders you can find a series of competent looking kitchen knives in their catalogue.

It's an interesting knife that we are going to attend today. Constructionwise it doesn't deviant from the current norm very much. However, the design offers a few areas that gives the knife a bit of personality of its own.

The materials choosen are otherwise rather typical for what I earlier encountered in Japanese folders and there is for exeample some similarities with MCusta in that regard.

ki8VW30.jpg

A rather small knife aiming straight at the "EDC-segment"

The model is directly developed as an EDC-blade and I'm going to try to answer how well it fulfills that role. Is RJ5 a good pocketknife and is it for you?

Twitterversion: New EDC-candidate from the land of the rising sun

In Summary

Raging Jap is a really interesting brand and I for one is looking forward to follow their future development. RJ5 is the first model I've come into contact with. The outcome of the meeting is a very positive one and I really like this knife but the relation isn't totally uncomplicated.

One thing that springs to mind is that it can seem to be a bit on the expensive side given the materials used. They are indeed well chosen for the intended use but not with prestige in sight if I put it that way.

Unfortenately components and materials used are often a more valued sales pitch than function today. That's the reason the market is overflowed by many bad "TFFs - Titanium Framelock Flippers". The technical specification looks cool on paper but there the positive more often than not ends.

In the case with Raging Japs RJ5 it's the other way round. This knife should be experienced since it feels better in hand than the specification implies. The MSRP is US$129 according to their home page by the way.

jiGHAid.jpg

RJ5, a good companion on excursions in the early winter

The question is what you get in return for your invested monetary means? You know the materials by knov: a sturdy but drilled steelframe, very sharp VG10, a little bit of well shaped G10 and an even smaller bit of flexing titanium.

What you can't see and what I highly appreciate is the work behind the scenes that manifests itself in the design and how well put together this knife is. That is something that must be felt and that's where RJ5 speaks for it self.

2M21ipY.jpg

Raging Jap, something a bit more original to carry as EDC

RJ5 is a really likable little pocketknife that I appreciated already from the start. A knife with a look of its own and several features that makes it stand out in a sea of similar constructions. What you get is a very well built knife with a useful blade and for the size good ergonomics - Japanese finesse in EDC-format. But maybe you can catch a small glimpse of culture shock which can be seen in the brand name and the amount of text on the blade. If it had been a Swedish brand my guess is that the word "raging" wouldn't be part of the name for instance.

But despite that I consider this to be a gem amongst small EDC-blades. But sure, It could be even better without a grinning Samurai on the blade.

Specification:

Length Overall: 182 mm
Length Folded: 101 mm
Weight: 110 g
Blade Length: 80 mm
Blade Thickness: 3 mm
Blade steel: VG10, HRC 59-61
Handle: G10 over steel frame
Lock: Framelock, steel

Produced by: Raging Jap, made inTaichung, Taiwan

/ John

#knivesandbikes #aliaspostmortem #knivigtvarre

As per usual the reviw can be read in depth on my blog, it is a bit too long to be posted here as a whole unfortenately.

- Serious Japanese EDC-contender

How many knife brands out of Japan are you familiar with? Problably not that many and the ones known to the western markets seems to be scattered along the "folding knife spectrum". At one end you find the simplest versions of Higo No Kamis and in the other one of the most exclusive production brand there is - Rockstead. In between there ain't too many and I myself can just recollect a few such as MCusta, Seki Cut and Moki without "Googlecheating".

It is therefore especially satisfactory to present a rather new brand from the land of the rising sun!

BrfFJn5.jpg

Raging Jap RJ5

The brand is called "Raging Jap" and this particular model is their latest release and are named or rather designated "RJ5". It more than implies how many models the company produced thus far. But I must admit I struggle to find number three in that classification. Besides a couple of Neck-knives and two folders you can find a series of competent looking kitchen knives in their catalogue.

It's an interesting knife that we are going to attend today. Constructionwise it doesn't deviant from the current norm very much. However, the design offers a few areas that gives the knife a bit of personality of its own.

The materials choosen are otherwise rather typical for what I earlier encountered in Japanese folders and there is for exeample some similarities with MCusta in that regard.

ki8VW30.jpg

A rather small knife aiming straight at the "EDC-segment"

The model is directly developed as an EDC-blade and I'm going to try to answer how well it fulfills that role. Is RJ5 a good pocketknife and is it for you?

Twitterversion: New EDC-candidate from the land of the rising sun

In Summary

Raging Jap is a really interesting brand and I for one is looking forward to follow their future development. RJ5 is the first model I've come into contact with. The outcome of the meeting is a very positive one and I really like this knife but the relation isn't totally uncomplicated.

One thing that springs to mind is that it can seem to be a bit on the expensive side given the materials used. They are indeed well chosen for the intended use but not with prestige in sight if I put it that way.

Unfortenately components and materials used are often a more valued sales pitch than function today. That's the reason the market is overflowed by many bad "TFFs - Titanium Framelock Flippers". The technical specification looks cool on paper but there the positive more often than not ends.

In the case with Raging Japs RJ5 it's the other way round. This knife should be experienced since it feels better in hand than the specification implies. The MSRP is US$129 according to their home page by the way.

jiGHAid.jpg

RJ5, a good companion on excursions in the early winter

The question is what you get in return for your invested monetary means? You know the materials by knov: a sturdy but drilled steelframe, very sharp VG10, a little bit of well shaped G10 and an even smaller bit of flexing titanium.

What you can't see and what I highly appreciate is the work behind the scenes that manifests itself in the design and how well put together this knife is. That is something that must be felt and that's where RJ5 speaks for it self.

2M21ipY.jpg

Raging Jap, something a bit more original to carry as EDC

RJ5 is a really likable little pocketknife that I appreciated already from the start. A knife with a look of its own and several features that makes it stand out in a sea of similar constructions. What you get is a very well built knife with a useful blade and for the size good ergonomics - Japanese finesse in EDC-format. But maybe you can catch a small glimpse of culture shock which can be seen in the brand name and the amount of text on the blade. If it had been a Swedish brand my guess is that the word "raging" wouldn't be part of the name for instance.

But despite that I consider this to be a gem amongst small EDC-blades. But sure, It could be even better without a grinning Samurai on the blade.

Specification:

Length Overall: 182 mm
Length Folded: 101 mm
Weight: 110 g
Blade Length: 80 mm
Blade Thickness: 3 mm
Blade steel: VG10, HRC 59-61
Handle: G10 over steel frame
Lock: Framelock, steel

Produced by: Raging Jap, made inTaichung, Taiwan

/ John

#knivesandbikes #aliaspostmortem #knivigtvarre
Hey, John, great review. I'm always flipping a coin on G10, sometimes it works, sometimes not. How grippy was it, 1-10 like? And I'm not surprised it feels so well put together. Taichung (about 45 mins from where I live) has some of the best machining centers on the planet. On that front, I admit to being a little unsure about it being a "Japanese" knife, given its production location. That aside, I may have to try one. Thanks again for the review and excellent pics.

Nice looking knife. I am not sure I would want to carry something with that name on it in this PC age though. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Ha! Yeah, they'll probably catch a lot of crap for the name. They said they'll be at BLADE this year, so I'll ask 'em what kind of feedback they're getting.

The knife itself doesn't look too bad, but I would NEVER buy one, or support that company, with that brand name and logo. It was stupid of them to think up and go with that name, whether whoever did so was Japanese themselves or not.

Jim

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at the name. Wow. Just wow.

I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea, and then no one thought to question it.. mind boggling.

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at the name. Wow. Just wow.

I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea, and then no one thought to question it.. mind boggling.
Sad isn't it. People forget quickly (or likely never learned) that this was a racial slur used against a group of US citizens that where rounded up and put in prison camps. US born citizens. Their families were destroyed.

But what the hell, great knife I guess :rolleyes:

Sad isn't it. People forget quickly (or likely never learned) that this was a racial slur used against a group of US citizens that where rounded up and put in prison camps. US born citizens. Their families were destroyed.

But what the hell, great knife I guess :rolleyes:
I absolutely agree, who ever named this and all the people who let it go uncontested are retards.

Yeah, could be M390 and ti with abalone inlays for $15 and I wouldn't put money in their pockets. Maybe it is a case of 'lost in translation', but if so they need better translators. My first girlfriend's mother was nisei Japanese and her parents were in internment camps. I can't even imagine the cringe being in a room with her a knowing something like that was in my pocket.

I'm 3rd-generation (sansei) Japanese-American, and my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all went into the internment camps. My maternal grandfather was even taken to Roswell, NM and interrogated by the FBI because he had been a financial contributor to a Japanese-language school for Nisei children in Los Angeles. An uncle's best friend was Sadao Munemori, of the legendary 442nd Regimental Combat Team, who posthumously received the Medal of Honor.

In my observation, Native Japanese often have little or no concept of that slur, or even that is IS a slur. It is not just a word shortening; it became a slur that's been used to dehumanize people (especially Americans) of Japanese descent for almost 80 years, at least. Not using it has nothing to do with PC police; it's a matter of simple respect (or in this case, disrespect) for others. I can accept the slur in certain historical movies where accuracy of language is being depicted. But to just throw it around casually nowadays is a sign of disrespect, like it or not.

I just think it's unfortunate, because the knife designs themselves might not be bad if not for the brand name and logo. I wouldn't accept one for free.

Jim

Last edited:
I'm 3rd-generation (sansei) Japanese-American, and my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all went into the internment camps. My maternal grandfather was even taken to Roswell, NM and interrogated by the FBI because he had been a financial contributor to a Japanese-language school for Nisei children in Los Angeles. An uncle's best friend was Sadao Munemori, of the legendary 442nd Regimental Combat Team, who posthumously received the Medal of Honor.

In my observation, Native Japanese often have little or no concept of that slur, or even that is IS a slur. It is not just a word shortening; it became a slur that's been used to dehumanize people (especially Americans) of Japanese descent for almost 80 years, at least. Not using it has nothing to do with PC police; it's a matter of simple respect (or in this case, disrespect) for others. I can accept the slur in certain historical movies where accuracy of language is being depicted. But to just throw it around casually nowadays is a sign of disrespect, like it or not.

I just think it's unfortunate, because the knife designs themselves might not be bad if not for the brand name and logo. I wouldn't accept one for free.

Jim
I'm from the west coast and we learned about this in depth from an early age. What Japan did to this country in war was one thing but what we did to our Japanese American citizens was just crazy.

A knife with that name on it means something. It isn't good.

I would never buy a knife with that name on it or from a company that once used that name. If it's a case of it not being recognized as a racial slur by native Japanese that is no excuse because it is absolutely a term that has been used to demean Japanese Americans (and still is). There's nothing ok about it.

That's just wrong on so many levels.

It really doesn't take much effort to find out how offensive of a word it is.

Maybe it's intended ironically or just to be shocking and risqué ? I don't think it can be accidental , but it's never safe to underestimate the human capacity for shear stupidity .o_O

It's a Taiwanese knife. Taiwan was conquered by japan in 1895 and was ruled by them until 1945. Maybe the name stems from history but got "lost in translation".

A friend who is Taiwanese asked me in the early 80s why Americans bought Japanese cars given Pearl Harbor and their reprehensible behavior to many peoples of the pacific rim in the 20th century. Thirty years later she now drives a Toyota and has buried the hatchet. Things change, but for many it takes time.

The knife is manufactured in Taiwan, but (apparently) the company itself is Japanese. In the same way that Spyderco, an American company, has much of their product made in Taiwan (and Japan, Italy, etc.).

I lived in Taiwan for close to a decade back in the 1980s/90s. I'm Japanese-American, but never encountered much if any negative behavior there due to my ancestry. I had many friends and teachers there. In fact, a Taiwanese family took me in at the start, and we remained close for those years, and the youngest daughter in particular treated me as an older brother. A few older native Taiwanese I met spoke fluent Japanese (I don't), and spoke that (and, of course, Taiwanese Hokkien dialect) better than they spoke Mandarin.

Jim

Last edited:
I have the utmost respect for knives produced in Taichung. In my experience, they are all Spyderco.
Cannot imagine how this new brand name came into being. Too much sake, perchance.

Back