1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Random pics from the hog hunt

Discussion in 'Gossman Knives' started by Gossman Knives, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    I've got a boatload of photos. Here is a handful of them I will post more when time permits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Looks like a great time! Congratulations Scott!! That UNK looks good and used properly!

3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I just can't think of a hunt that would be more exciting than a hog hunt (I appreciate hunting, but outside an African safari, or bear/ cougar hunt, I think a good hog hunt would be sweet).

I don't think I am ready to do the hand hunt with knives, but might try spear with a hand gun back up, if given the opportunity.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

4. cddogfan1

cddogfan1

Jul 15, 2008
    Scott thanks for posting these pics. In all of the activity this weekend I never took any pics. Had to show my wife so she would quit accouseing me laying up with another woman for the weekend.:D

5. middleagedmutan

middleagedmutan

Jun 12, 2011
    That is awesome Scott looks like a good time.

6. Haole

Haole Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Can't wait to see a bloody ten inch tusker bowie!!! Looking forward to hearing some stories.

7. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I'll try and get some more posted soon. Got so much to do in the shop this week then back to work at my other job sat nite.
    Didn't get the opportunity to stick a hog. The method of dog hunting for hogs we did was catch & tie. Bring the hogs out live then kill them later. We humped through fields, woods and swamp for about 6 miles last Sat. Fast paced in an understatement. Sometimes you had to run to keep up. We did hunt over bait and had 4 hogs come in but unfortunately we missed the shot.
    Scott

8. I was lucky enough to see all of Scott's and Marty's pics. They were in some brush!

9. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    After skinning that hog with the UNK in 20 to 30 minutes, I'm now convinced my search for the perfect hunting knife is over. Guess I can stop making knives now. :p
    Scott

10. defaultuser

defaultuser

May 3, 2006
    Very nice Scott! I see the UNK performed well!

11. Ossa1970

Ossa1970

Nov 5, 2006
    Nice job Scott, good looking hogs. Looks like the Unk performed as expected.

12. Camber

Camber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2011
    LOL...it's funny you say that because when I read you used the UNK, I was thinking, "man, that thing must really work for skinning" because I was thinking about how much you told me you love it for doing the same for deer. And when you were telling me that the first visit to the shop I knew you meant it. Just the way you said it, I knew you weren't trying to sell anything. You were just really happy at having found something that worked so well for you.

13. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I've come to the conclusion that any knife over a 3" to 3 1/2" blade is not neccessary for a hunting knife. Especially for skinning. I've found that the so called upswept skinner blade doesn't work as well for me, too much belly to the point. That 1/4" curve up to the point is all the "belly" on a blade I need. Remember, this was the first time I ever skinned a hog and I did it faster then some of the larger deer I've gotten in the past. I've started using the UNK design in 2010 so I only have two deer seasons using this design. Last year I only got one small deer so had little time using the UNK.
    Scott

14. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Damm Scott,
    I hope Mike don't read this, his head will swell twice the size, and start rocking back and forth humming an I told ya so humm. LOL Im really glad you had a great time, it's nice to get away for a bit. Great hog by the way.

15. Camber

Camber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Well, I've never skinned anything (unfortunately...maybe that will change next year), but what you say about the way you use it makes complete sense to me. It's awesome you and kuhuana were able to come up with such a versatile design!

16. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks guys. Yep, Mike's idea is working way better then I expected. One of the reason's I started making knives was to come up with the ultimate hunting knife. I've hunted 30 years and was never happy with any of the knives I've used. I've used alot of knives over the years. Being a taxidermist for 8 years I learned how to skin a multitude of game.
    Scott

17. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I will say the other two knives I make that work well are the WUK and PSK knife. I skinned a small doe with a PSK knife in 15 mintues a few years ago. I also used a WUK on several deer and was happy with the wharncliffe blade design which I also add a 1/4" curve to the edge.
    Scott

18. blgoode

blgoode

Oct 3, 2003
    awesome MEAT BUDDY!!

19. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Great pics. Looking forward to more.

20. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I promise I'll put more pics up. Back to work and family has got me busy.
    I do want to say if you're a diehard carbon steel fan, think about the CPM stainless steels. That UNK could have easily skinned 2 or 3, maybe more hogs before resharpening. It was still just as sharp as when I started.
    Scott

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012