Random Thought Thread

Life before IKEA.

lHRUdsel.jpg

RE: After market prices on knives. Let me say in advance that anyone has the right to put any price that they want on a knife or any other object that they want to sell. Let the market decide. ;)

Anyway, Bob Loveless used to complain that someone taking delivery on one of his knives could turn it around the same day for 2 to 4 times what he paid for it. (At that time Loveless had a 4 year wait for one of his knives.)

Last edited:
RE: After market prices on knives. Let me say in advance that anyone has the right to put any price that they want on a knife or any other object that they want to sell. Let the market decide. ;)

Anyway, Bob Loveless used to complain that someone taking delivery on one of his knives could turn it around the same day for 2 to 4 times what he paid for it. (At that time Loveless had a 4 year wait for one of his knives.)

I have very strong opinions about the whole aftermarket sales, for knives, here on BladeForums, so I won’t let loose.

I may be completely mis-interpreting your story about Bob Loveless’s complaints, and if I am, I apologize, but to me you are hinting at a parallel with CPK knives of which, I would agree.

It would be interesting for some statistics minded person, with time on his or her hands to try to determine the percentage of CPK knives sold on the secondary market here - and also determine the selling prices. We all know that there is a fair sized desire for CPK on the secondary market. If there is also a significant (to be determined) mark up on a significant (again, to be determined) number of those knives, then I would rather see that profit go to CPK. The way to do this would be to raise the original price of the knives.

I certainly would not want this to be a hardship for those that buy and use, or even buy to collect and keep, but the CPK crew works very hard to bring us, what in my opinion are some of the best using knives made. I’d like to see them fairly compensated as opposed to, well, you know.....

If this is too touchy a subject, I can amend or delete this post. Mike

from what I understand, Bob Loveless followed his aftermarket pricing closely, and always ensured he kept his pricing at least 10% lower. Please don't quote me on this

from what I understand, Bob Loveless followed his aftermarket pricing closely, and always ensured he kept his pricing at least 10% lower. Please don't quote me on this

OK, I won't. :D

Keep in mind that Loveless's customers had to wait at least 4 years for delivery of their knives. Around 1970 Loveless required a deposit to order a knife, so he was locked into the catalog price at that time. How many times did he raise his prices during that period? I don't know. I didn't follow him that closely. Some makers who had very long wait times did not take a deposit. They would contact you when your turn came up and if you still wanted the knife, you paid the current price. IIRC, Bill Moran had a 7 or 8 year waiting list.

Just out of curiosity, I watch a couple of other knife makers. Jerry Busse's knives are another example of aftermarket prices much higher than the knives originally sold for. At one time I had one of each of his Ergo series. I wish that I still had them. I would be rich. RICH, I tell you! :D

I love this subject, and the answer is simple-REALLY! It is not the seller's who determine what a particular knive is worth, it is the Buyer's! Nobody makes anybody buy a knife-Period! If you think $500 dollar's is to much for a CPK Field Knife, You simply Don't Buy it!
The seller's don't Dictate the inflated prices, The Consumers DO:thumbsup: In regards to CPK raising their prices, CPK must do what is best for CPK and its employees! Raising the prices will not help with after market sales however, Knives will be listed "With higher Prices" and ultimately Sold!
I get contacted quite frequently by people wanting to Know "What a listed knife I sold went for" How much do you thing i should ask for a particular knife? My response is simply "You know what you paid for the Knife, Don't you?
I believe the seller is IMO entitled or justified in making some profit. They bought the knife, waited on it's delivery etc! The Bottom Line is the seller can ask whatever he or she wants! It is Ultimately the "Consumer" who dictates if a particular knife sells for an "Inflated" Price.

^^^

I agree,especially with the raising of the maker's price having no impact on controlling or curbing the increase in the secondary price. I am all for Nathan charging whatever he wants, when he want, no explanation to use needed. Earlier when he bumped the prices marginally, he laid it all out bare for us explaining why. He doesn't owe us that and shows his character, which, aside from the quality, is why a lot of us are here.

When the prices did go up, EDCs could be had for $275 to $300 pretty easily. They are now going for $300 to $325 without much effort now. Personally, I am holding out till they go for $500, then I'm gonna flood the market.....

I have seen stuff priced well as far as the secondary prices go and it sells quickly. I have also seen stuff that was so high I thought to myself the seller might be crazy. Some of the better priced stuff, I bought when I could. The stuff I thought was crazy, like Tom said, I didn't buy. Easy as that. Do I enjoy paying $500 to $600 for something I know sold for $300 to $400 originally? Not really, but it is the price to play the game. Sometimes I get in the game, other times I don't. Folks can ask as much for stuff as they want, doesn't mean they will get it and you sure as hell don't have to be the one to buy it.

Last edited:
I would just like to step back in time a few years, back when I had no desire for these 8” dagger things that I passed on and were posted for days for around $200. :poop: :cool:

The economics are pretty interesting. Part of the CPK appeal is bang for the buck. They would still be a good value at a higher price point, but likely cooling demand somewhat as the pool of choices blurs into the higher end stuff. Still a unique offering though with machining perfection vs hand made “flaws.”

I know Nathan has some strong convictions around pricing, and none of us are going to sway that. I’m just enjoying watching the story unfold and wishing much and continued success. :thumbsup:

I would just like to step back in time a few years, back when I had no desire for these 8” dagger things that I passed on and were posted for days for around $200. :poop: :cool:

The economics are pretty interesting. Part of the CPK appeal is bang for the buck. They would still be a good value at a higher price point, but likely cooling demand somewhat as the pool of choices blurs into the higher end stuff. Still a unique offering though with machining perfection vs hand made “flaws.”

I know Nathan has some strong convictions around pricing, and none of us are going to sway that. I’m just enjoying watching the story unfold and wishing much and continued success. :thumbsup:

So that no one will be confused about those " 8" dagger things " you refer to, "to step back in time a few years", the 10" dagger (only about 3 made) went for enormously more (four figures), right out of the gate from Nathan - and pretty much immediately.

So that no one will be confused about those " 8" dagger things " you refer to, "to step back in time a few years", the 10" dagger (only about 3 made) went for enormously more (four figures), right out of the gate from Nathan - and pretty much immediately.

Right on Bob...the unicorn status 10” integral dagger, with a considerable amount of difficult precision with numerous hidden pins, etc. I didn’t realize there were even 3 of those.

To clarify, my tongue in cheek description of the Shiv was trying to capture my uninterested self back then...as opposed to now. ;)

I think that Nathan is not business savvy at all and in fact is sweating his rear end off in the wrong business. He clearly underprices his products (and over delivers) so that more financially savvy folks (99.999% of CPK'ers) can take advantage of his misgivings and become billionaire. As Nathan & Jo's unofficial financial advisor (trained at Lehman Brothers) I strongly advise that CPK sells all their current projects for scarp metal value and then either move over to NH buy this business, or to replicate this venture in Moorseville.

Jo / Nathan, this Uncle Matty tip was free and I will not be invoicing you this time, but just this once!

Question for the more sophisticated types:

Is it considered too ghetto to mix 7-UP with the red wine which taste I really do not much dig? Is the mantra of waste not, want not ever wrong even if desecrating a reasonably good bottle of wine?

Incidentally, the buzz came about faster but I may have to deal with a bit of a headache mañana!

Question for the more sophisticated types:

Is it considered too ghetto to mix 7-UP with the red wine which taste I really do not much dig? Is the mantra of waste not, want not ever wrong even if desecrating a reasonably good bottle of wine?

Incidentally, the buzz came about faster but I may have to deal with a bit of a headache mañana!

My Grandma's drink back in the day was 7up and Carlos Rossi :p

~Chip

Back