Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
  2. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Hmmm, I don't utilize instagram but that link certainly does appear to show an interesting item. I'm sure all should be revealed within the fullness of time, or not.

Odog27, gusbuster, Grenock and 4 others like this.
  3. UffDa

UffDa Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 1999

There is one on fleabay right now that's up to $420. :eek: I will never understand people and auctions. A few years ago I posted a Surefire light starting at $50. I got a few offers to end the auction early for $60. I never end an auction early and got $305 for it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Standard78, vkp78, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  4. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    I once put a particular knife on Ebay, years ago, worth $1500. It was bid up by two crazy people to $4400. Couldn't believe it, but I did rejoice quietly.....

Standard78, vkp78, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  5. 420isaac

420isaac Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Wow, that looks absolutely incredible. I think I am in love.

6. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Aw, Isaac, you say that about ALL the knives......

7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    20190406_222335.jpg

Yeah I saw that sitting there and thought "that's cool, I should take a picture and put that on Instagram." In retrospect I think that was supposed to be a secret...

It's a project Mark is working on. I milled a Utility Fighter handle on it and he's hand grinding them. They're thicker and longer than a UF and he's doing some dope ass hand ground hollow grinds with those sick twists he does. It'll get a grind on the spine after heat treat. I figured we'd do a fun Friday sale with them or something. He'll probably bring one to blade show I guess?

I just put a few in for heat treat in a batch of Medium Choppers.

8. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    LOL, it appears the fullness of time has filled.:)

9. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Yes, was going to guess maybe one of the chopper family, then I saw the UF style handle and was clueless. Looking forward to seeing it come along. Mike

10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Definitely going to try for one on a Fun Friday, but dibs on the Blade show one just in case;) I was already planning on making a beeline for your table first thing Friday morning:)

~Chip

11. vkp78

vkp78 Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Lol!
    extra large utility fighters, hdmc's and now he says fun stuff at blade show....I thought it was going to be a slow bleed, but this looks like a full blown hemorrhage!

12. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    WOW:eek: Wonder why somebody had never mentioned an 8 inch Ultimate Fighter in the "What knife would you like to see next from CPK Thread:mad:Sure these will prove to be Very Popular and in the end result in a Pre-Order, (after the UF and HDMC and MC Pre-order) ;) And then I will Pounce on them like a Rabid Dog
    EDIT: Maybe a 7 inch Blade?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Mike157, woodysone, Odog27 and 4 others like this.
  13. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Yeah, it's gonna be a 7" incher then, held tight in a special integral sheath that's spring-loaded so all ya gotta do is think about it and it loads right into your hand.

And the scales, they're gonna......

Oops, that was supposed to be a secret!!..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Fullflat, Mike157, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  14. UffDa

Sep 11, 1999
    FK2 on fleabay update. It sold for $487. :eek: I suspect that it was a "I don't want the other guy to have it" bidding war. A reasonable person might do a little research before bidding on something like that. Maybe not.

I'll take 2.

gusbuster, Standard78, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  15. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Holy smokes. I searched "Carothers" on completed items and was blown away by some of the numbers.

16. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    How did you like the $150 Shiv? Lol.

Odog27, gusbuster, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  17. UffDa

Sep 11, 1999
    I bet that you didn't know that your knives were so valuable. Don't let is go to your head. :D eBay can bring out the stupid in people, both sellers and buyers.

Actually, any auction can do that. I went to a Santa Barbara county vehicle auction once just to watch. People were bidding ridiculous amounts for beat up rusty old pickups that barely ran. (Some didn't) Even the auctioneer told them to cool it.

Want to see ridiculous prices for guns? Go to the CMP auction site.

Odog27, gusbuster, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  18. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    HUH!?

19. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    HUH!!??

20. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    I think he's fooling with us Bob

Odog27, gusbuster, betzner and 2 others like this.