Random Thought Thread

Had an alien encounter the other night. This guy had a solid 6” wingspan.

kw8Mqlnl.jpg

YjxuOtpl.jpg

^^^ Polyphemus
... I’m pretty sure anyhow. I did some reading on giant silk moths a while back after encountering a similar sized Luna moth on a hike. I had seen Luna moths before but never near the size of the one from that hike. I heard it before I saw it.

Last edited:
^^^ Polyphemus
... I’m pretty sure anyhow. I did some reading on giant silk moths a while back after encountering a similar sized Luna moth on a hike. I had seen Luna moths before but never near the size of the one from that hike. I heard it before I saw it.

No, this was not a moth. It was an alien!

Ha! Appreciate the ID. I bet the one you heard sounded like a drone. Amazing how big they get.

Matt, thanks for the message...

I believe you are discussing a dagger that was not just listed, but appeared about a week ago on that site that sounds westernish but is actually closer to the southeastern US, but correct me if I am wrong. A typical buyer for something like that would be someone who always wanted a Warenski but never got one, but not a Warenski collector. Worth about $2500, if that, IMHO, and will never increase in value beyond that.

There are a number of Warenskis for sale online, most on one dealer's website. Almost all such pieces online are priced at least twice what they are worth, for which reason they are not selling, and most are not of collector quality. There are two exceptions that are collector quality and are priced accordingly, but at higher than I would suggest, but worth it still. And one by Julie Warenski, of great quality and worth. Both dealers of these higher quality pieces, of collector quality, have high end knives, know what they are doing and are more highly respected, at least by me.

An added note - the frog button the sheath shows "Buster", while the dagger has B Warenski, the two together meaning it is circa 1976-78.

Edit - and don't get me wrong, there is a market for such "lesser" Warenskis, which, again, are those people who always wanted a Warenski but never got one.

Last edited:
I’ve sent back a few boxes for various things. I have 2 knives there now!

Whatcha doin’?

Uncle Matty nailed it:thumbsup:

Ohhhhh that was for Nathan?!

I think that will be Chip's own UF, but just my guess!
It's ultimate fate has yet to be decided actually, lol. This all arose from a brief conversation with Nathan as they were packing up Sunday afternoon at Blade...it's kind of had a life of it's own.

So far it's a test piece to see how it turns out, and whether I need to tweak my process to account for heat treating and finishing...I'm not going to lie though, I like it a lot;)

Back