Random Thought Thread

Can anyone tell me why sometimes I can't see the pictures? Like in the above example Mat can apparently see the pic Chip posted but I just see a box with an 'X' in it followed by "" There are a lot of them this way :confused:

ETA: I'm on a laptop

ETA 2: There's supposed to be an open parentheses, then IMG, then a closed parentheses where the quotation marks are but it keeps kicking it out when I try to type it in. Basically I see an X with IMG after it.

mid I had to guess, it depends on your browser and whoever is the host for the pics! Yesterday and today, I still can not see Tommy’s FS posted MC pics but I see the BC!

mid I had to guess, it depends on your browser and whoever is the host for the pics! Yesterday and today, I still can not see Tommy’s FS posted MC pics but I see the BC!

It's really frustrating when you're in a sales thread!

That's bizarre...the pic is uploaded to BF, can you post a screenshot?

I will see if I can do that Chip

8kVfl1a.jpg

I wrote a notice of motion for our town's mayor, which was presented yesterday at the Parks and Environment committee for our regional district which is composed of 13 municipalities and First Nations. The motion was to allocate budget and staffing to form an advisory panel which would develop a mountain biking policy for our region, which currently owns and manages 13 thousand hectares of park land- only 500 of which is open to mountain biking. It's a massive first step, and a crusade I've been on for 20 years. I actually shed a tear when my motion was unanimously passed :)

congrats ... and it's good to see people actually getting involved in whatever they believe needs change or attention brought to it. :thumbsup:

I know a few of you had dyed your micarta. With Hdfk handles a little hard to come by I didn't want to jack it all up. Rit dye, another suggestion? I've used rit on g10 and wood before with good success. Finding the color was always the hardest part. Shooting for a deep burgundy kinda like Nathan's original maroon.

I know a few of you had dyed your micarta. With Hdfk handles a little hard to come by I didn't want to jack it all up. Rit dye, another suggestion? I've used rit on g10 and wood before with good success. Finding the color was always the hardest part. Shooting for a deep burgundy kinda like Nathan's original maroon.

On micarta & Rit dye, read Justin's posts and findings starting with this one to post # 2987:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-149#post-19162847

I guess you won’t know til you try. But the Amazon thing still makes me cringe. I guess the sales interface being in place is worth losing a cut to them. But it’s all the crap you could deal with beyond that that makes me cringe. There are some pretty unscrupulous people out there, and Amazon’s “oversight” (I use that term loosely; there is little to none) of used/returned goods is getting worse by the day.

Only issue with eBay is that they’ll want a huge wad of money for their “services”.

It’s even more fun when you buy new stock from Amazon and the send you one of those used/returned items!

You too eh? I just tried an open box deal for a phone case for my wife. That’s a little different deal, granted, but I’ve had some good luck with those deals in the past. This freaking case came in the original box, but it was the most ridiculous, beat to hell, used, chewed up, cracked broken worn out thing you've ever seen. Condition was listed as “very good.” Lol :mad::thumbsdown::)

I didn't want to clog up Nathan's ANAQ thread but yes there are all valid points. I hate using the oft used cliche of, "this is just a cost of doing business" but all these are really tangible and intangible costs of expanding. No one will do it for CPK for free so even if signing up with a dealer / distributor, the entity will have to profit from the venture meaning that it will expect a "wholesale" price point based on the number of units it is willing to buy and stock plus a markup probably based on Nathan's prices here on BF.com which we will call the baseline retail cost. Some dealers will be very leery of a manufacturer selling his own knives at a lesser price point elsewhere meaning that the dealer will either want exclusivity on certain models and/or congruent pricing everywhere.

The good thing about CPK is that they can control the narrative if they decide to do it directly either via Amazon and/or eBay. As their production expands they will also have to look into the most reasonable way of market share expansion which suits their own business culture and tempo. I don't think that it will be an exercise in futility. Some people for whatever reason will just not come in BF.com to buy knives and there's something to this fact which ought not be ignored.

I didn't want to clog up Nathan's ANAQ thread but yes there are all valid points. I hate using the oft used cliche of, "this is just a cost of doing business" but all these are really tangible and intangible costs of expanding. No one will do it for CPK for free so even if signing up with a dealer / distributor, the entity will have to profit from the venture meaning that it will expect a "wholesale" price point based on the number of units it is willing to buy and stock plus a markup probably based on Nathan's prices here on BF.com which we will call the baseline retail cost. Some dealers will be very leery of a manufacturer selling his own knives at a lesser price point elsewhere meaning that the dealer will either want exclusivity on certain models and/or congruent pricing everywhere.

The good thing about CPK is that they can control the narrative if they decide to do it directly either via Amazon and/or eBay. As their production expands they will also have to look into the most reasonable way of market share expansion which suits their own business culture and tempo. I don't think that it will be an exercise in futility. Some people for whatever reason will just not come in BF.com to buy knives and there's something to this fact which ought not be ignored.
True, but I’d still rather see a reputable knife dealer make money instead of Amazon or eBay.

I have no listing or selling experience with Amazon, none! I have only been an Amazon buyer since 2005 and some years I didn't bother renewing my Prime membership as I piggy-backed on my Ex's Amazon account and some other years vice versa! These days I mainly use Prime for streaming content and again apart from buying some minor cr*p, I have no use for Amazon.

As for selling, sh*t-head eBay is still the 800 lb. gorilla for my purposes and needs. My kinda cr*p is specialty item and no one has or can duplicate their itemized categories where they serve the kinda stuff which I hawk. What I do is fun and makes some $ but at the same time, I'd still like to punch eBay in the mouth and kick 'em in the balls! I just loathe the MBA types which stripped the spirit of why it was created and turned it, like anything else, into a failing and antiquated mega-corporate culture. I have tried my own website and other social media platforms but for Motors / Parts & Accessories, they still bring the best traffic via the search engines, bar none!

I'm not a knife business entrepreneur so I could be talking a lot of nonsense and crap but what I convey is based on some intelligible personal feedback. The Carothers name has gotten out there (outside specialty sites like BF) for the kinda workshop which turns out performance cutting tools that are not stupidly thick like a pry-bar. I think that Nathan/Jo can reap more of the rewards.

What about an established internet dealer like KnifeCenter? I wonder if doing business with them might be more stable? I’ve certainly been happy with the billions I’ve spent with them. Mike

KC may have a much larger margins expectations than Nathan would be prepared to give up, since CPK prices are already tuned to cater to performance & value.

BTW, I have several hundred trillion bill$ which I'll be happy to send your way Mike. Don't be bashful and just ask :p

Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

KC may have a much larger margins expectations than Nathan would be prepared to give up, since CPK prices are already tuned to cater to performance & value.

BTW, I have several hundred trillion bill$ which I'll be happy to send your way Mike. Don't be bashful and just ask :p

Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Somewhat interesting factoid. Zim dollars are virtually worthless except to collectors. The hundred trillion dollar notes have become so valuable, that the Chinese are counterfeiting them. :D

I have some smaller bills. Only 20 billion dollars.

A sprout of Ophiocordyceps grows from the head of Camponotus atriceps, a species of carpenter ant in the Brazilian Amazon.

Article! Maybe miniature K18s for ants? Battle of fungus vs robots, who will win? My $ still on fungi; they have been around for much, much longer :D

23SCI-MATTER10-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Back