Random Thought Thread

Did you beat him with a plank of wood or with that toolbox?

Hah! He actually had a lot going on....he spent that $15 for the box on gas to drive and come pay for the tool box. He was slightly disheveled with pressured speech. We talked for a bit and I actually took the card, lol. I felt a little sorry for him and figured it would be a good story.

I'm in love with my portaband
yFf3cUT.jpg

The feeling when your first carothers knife ships = cool....this will be fun. I love new knife day. Woohoo.

The feeling when you receive the shipping notice for your dek1 preorder with pirtle sheath......and it says it'll be delivered just 4 days after the first......

*head go boom* replete with knife reveal glitter and confetti streaming out of the gaping hole where my skull cap used to be.

It's been a while since I was this excited about new knife day(s).

Sure beats hogging at it with an angle grinder, eh? ;)

They are awesome. I picked mine up at an estate sale (along with a basically new millermatic 210 welder + all the accessories one could ever want) on a whim.

I wish I'd bought one earler in life. I don't do much with metal most of the time, but when I do, the thing cuts like butter. Lost the key to my hitch lock. Tried the angle grinder and quickly remembered why angle grinders scare the crap out of me (nothing bad happend, but yeah). Pulled out the portaband I thought would be a pita because hardened steel.....zip and done.

Great tool.

Anyone know if this marking is possibly the steel grade?
1xLBEsQ.jpg

These 1" thick plates are what I would call the blades on my rebar shear. The old girl is probably close to 100 years old and replacement parts are not an option.
I am assuming I need to have someone Mill them out for me. Trying to figure out what type of steel Im going to need to look into.
5berVAXh.jpg

Almost certainly not a steel grade. unlike knives, most industrial applications don't put the steel grade on the part. Most likely a part number. Fortunately for you, the steel grade is not that critical for the application. There are plenty of steels available suitable for use on a shear. A2 might be a good choice. The hardness of the old blades could be measured and duplicated.

It is also possible those blades could be reground and continue to remain serviceable

Almost certainly not a steel grade. unlike knives, most industrial applications don't put the steel grade on the part. Most likely a part number. Fortunately for you, the steel grade is not that critical for the application. There are plenty of steels available suitable for use on a shear. A2 might be a good choice. The hardness of the old blades could be measured and duplicated.

It is also possible those blades could be reground and continue to remain serviceable
Thanks Nathan, I was afraid it was a part number but your info is certainly helpful and should give a good starting point with a local mill.
Much appreciated!

Back