Random Thought Thread

Stop it, the only knife I can justify is a kitchen knife. The fixed blades are nice to have (I love my dek), but a nice kitchen knife is a must.

Same specs as before?
this knife has the same .125"/3mm A2, but the blade is 8"/200mm long- so a couple inches longer. The handle will be held on with 3 pins, and the material is olive green terotuf laminated to safety orange G10. It will be significantly thicker that the other one, and my goal with the handle is for it to be just heavy enough to balance the knife when the knife is used in a pinch grip.

A2 stains like O1 or other simple high carbon steels, even though it contains about 5% chromium. From what I understand, that chromium consumes carbon voraciously and lives on as carbides with almost no chromium left in solution. The thing that makes A2 awesome is its hardenability, meaning it will harden at room temperature- no need for messy oil. Another bonus is that the knife can be wrapped so as to minimize oxygen around it during austenitizing, which loses you precious carbon and leaves more clean up. So, you can really go to town before hardening because you know that most of the detailed work will need very little cleanup post heat treatment. I went a little too far into town with this knife by removing a little too much from the bevels, so the edge has a bit of a kink in it and overall there's a bit of a wow to it. Fortunately, the nicely crowned spine shows this curvature very clearly! I may temper it again in clamps and see if I can get it dead nuts. Or maybe I have other shit to do which is a better use of my time? I guess we'll see.

I know that a lot of people like knives that they know will work, but in many cases they'll never really find out for themselves. That's cool, I mean, do you really want to be in an actual situation where you can find out how well a dagger works?

I want to make knives that I like to use, and I also like to make knives that I think will work for something that I may never really be able to, (or want to) fully test. Kitchen knives are cool, because they ostensibly serve the primary function of nourishing humans and sustaining life, (forget the stats which show the main kind of knife used in violent crimes) and can elevate a person's interest in what they consume. We don't eat out, really ever, and especially these days. Our family spends a lot of time in the kitchen, and we grow some food too. Using a good kitchen knife is really a joyful experience, for me at least, and I like the idea that the knives that I make and design bring people who use them a little joy, or at least get them out of a bind so they can get back to enjoying themselves!

Now that Magnacut exists, I'm super stoked on getting something kitchen related in the hopper at CPKHQ. It may look like this, it may look very different. I have an acquaintance who is quite a well respected chef who I talked to in the past about getting some professional feedback, and I'm excited to finish this knife so I can leave it with him for a couple of weeks to see how he likes it.

Last edited:
I want to make knives that I like to use, and I also like to make knives that I think will work for something that I may never really be able to, (or want to) fully test. Kitchen knives are cool, because they ostensibly serve the primary function of nourishing humans and sustaining life, (forget the stats which show the main kind of knife used in violent crimes) and can elevate a person's interest in what they consume. We don't eat out, really ever, and especially these days. Our family spends a lot of time in the kitchen, and we grow some food too. Using a good kitchen knife is really a joyful experience, for me at least, and I like the idea that the knives that I make and design bring people who use them a little joy, or at least get them out of a bind so they can get back to enjoying themselves!
This right here is why I can't understand why people carry expensive folders and use crappy unsharpened knives on cooking duty.

Random thought for the day:

There sure is a lot of misinformation out there...about pretty much everything.

That is all.

An enormous amount. And we let it happen. We did it to the Russians and they're happy to return the favor. We get our "facts" from facebook and youtube etc and develop very strong opinions about things we know nothing about because of loud blowhards on the radio and TV and our enemies have effectively split us and have us divided right down the middle where only the loud wackos on the extreme ends of the spectrum are even heard anymore. We're all debating about fringe bullshit like pronouns etc. Any rational person should be able to see what's happening but we're defenseless to stop it?

Random thought for the day:

There sure is a lot of misinformation out there...about pretty much everything.

That is all.
Now that you've established THAT, try to figure out how much of it is WEAPONIZED PROPAGANDA.

THATS the fun part.

And really, how much of anything do people care enough about to actually go PROVE to be true or not?

Let alone the time and means to do so?

An enormous amount. And we let it happen. We did it to the Russians and they're happy to return the favor. We get our "facts" from facebook and youtube etc and develop very strong opinions about things we know nothing about because of loud blowhards on the radio and TV and our enemies have effectively split us and have us divided right down the middle where only the loud wackos on the extreme ends of the spectrum are even heard anymore. We're all debating about fringe bullshit like pronouns etc. Any rational person should be able to see what's happening but we're defenseless to stop it?
The chickens have come home to roost.

(And the problem is, how is the average person supposed to be able to make a rational decision about what they are being fed when no one is vetting the news services, or vetting those alleging to vet the news services? It's an agenda driven marketplace for information, and the truth and the American public are the two greatest victims.)

I couldn't agree with you more. All I want is my country back...however unlikely that may be in my time remaining.

(I'll tell you a few interesting stories from a different vantage point when we speak. They are the kinds of things that made me question my former government service.)

We did it to the Russians and they're happy to return the favor. An We get our "facts" from facebook and youtube etc and develop very strong opinions about things we know nothing about because of loud blowhards on the radio and TV and our enemies have effectively split us and have us divided right down the middle where only the loud wackos on the extreme ends of the spectrum are even heard anymore. We're all debating about fringe bullshit like pronouns etc. Any rational person should be able to see what's happening but we're defenseless to stop it?

Fully agree, except for the Russia part. Just don't use them (youtube/FB/Twitter) .... BTW, the false stories are mostly home-made. https://news.mit.edu/2018/study-twitter-false-news-travels-faster-true-stories-0308

What bugs me most is the mob mentality on social media - I can deal with the falsehoods. Certainly not what I came to US for. On the bright side, less than 30% of the US population use social media. Have to end on a positive note :)

People on youtube who "stick" magnets on their vaccine injection site and present this as evidence of a government conspiracy make we want to add some chlorine to the gene pool

Funny things, these human skins. They have teeny tiny microscopic pores which excrete sweat, sometimes copiously. With normal body temperature being ~ 37C/98.6F sweat tends to evaporate fast leaving the skin to get sticky, eh, magnetized. If a well stocked hot shower should not be immediately available, the family dog will be more than eager, often enough, to demagnetize the person.

The reality of electric vehicles...you're most likely just plugging in to a natural gas fired turbine.

Yep. The "Beast" got that wrong. He got much right though in that context:

“Vehicles with ‘Robot-brains’ … can be set for particular destinations … that will then proceed there without interference by the slow reflexes of a human driver.” ...
“An experimental fusion-power plant or two will already exist in 2014. Large solar-power stations will also be in operation in a number of desert and semi-desert areas” ...

“The appliances of 2014 will have no electric cords, of course, for they will be powered by long- lived batteries running on radioisotopes.”

(Isaac Asimov, 1964)

I guess he didn't predict the "anti-isotope" lobby (except for submarines, of course).

We did it to the Russians and they're happy to return the favor.

The Russians historically have been really good at that. They have had to hone their abilities carefully because they simply didn't have the funds to employ cheap, poorly develop products. Their hang up historically was having the ability to bring things to scale. So we built social media, brought it to scale for them, and now they can use their considerable skill and understanding of information warfare on platforms that they didn't even have to pay for.

Now that you've established THAT, try to figure out how much of it is WEAPONIZED PROPAGANDA.

That's the worst part: propaganda doesn't have to be untrue. It can be entirely true, or 95% true... it's all about how it is used. The best propaganda should be measured on how it is used, not how true it is... or so they say...

That's the worst part: propaganda doesn't have to be untrue. It can be entirely true, or 95% true... it's all about how it is used. The best propaganda should be measured on how it is used, not how true it is... or so they say...
Reminds me of my undercover days with the mob and outlaw motorcycle gangs in the 80's. The best undercovers could craft a persona and story very close to the truth...but...not the truth.

You just have to get them to believe.

On a brighter note...

...I just got a shipping notice for two!!! How do you like them apples? 😎

Back