Random Thought Thread

Hey there Lukey: may your BD wishes come true. Today will be a great practice run for you and your lucky-to-be proxy bid :)

that is a very interesting comment. Would you care to expand on it a bit?

Operator error. Parked/Stopped too close to tracks. Trying to beat the train. Not understanding safe clearance. Not respecting signals.

My last near miss was a contractor truck, guy jumps out, pulls the barrier out of the way and crosses the track. He said he didn’t see any train coming so he thought it was broken and needed to get through.

I'm out of the LC 4V running. Decided this morning to beef up the vehicle emergency bags with a pair of these instead:

IMG_20171006_102750_edit.jpg

Great form factor to stow away until they are needed. Just have to top them off monthly...

It has a lot to do with the current corporate culture of extreme cost cutting. Tired guys don’t make the situation any better, but in nearly all vehicle collisions, the vehicle is at fault.

Small changes that look good on paper for production increases and share prices often have a detrimental effect to the guys on the ground.

I could give you a long detailed explanation of a recent accident where a guy lost both his legs at the thigh that a few years back would absolutely in no case ever happened. In this case both companies involved reduced thier manning and safety procedures which individually only represented a small decrease to overall safety but increased production in a ratio they feel makes the risk worth the reward, but when you combined those changes in bad weather we had a severe accident where someone nearly died, that wad entirely preventable.

But hey, share prices are at an all time high, and seems like companies are more focused on making their profit there.
Based on your reply to Lorien, I'm guessing you meant to type operator?

What are you folks sharpening your 4V to?

I have been going up to me DMT EEF, but I feel I might be leaving some performance on the table...

I think I am going to drop down to a DMT Medium and strop from that, see how the toothy edge works for my uses. Namely pork shoulders and butts and the cryovac plastic wrapping them, cardboard, strapping, pallet wrap, and other (mostly slick) materials.

Anyone else able to weigh in on how a toothy 4V works?

Or a machinist making vaping devices. Mechanical tube and box mods, atomizers. Machinists play with cool tools and make cool things.

I was a machinist a very long time ago. Actually, an apprentice tool and die maker. After witnessing some gruesome accidents in those pre-OSHA days, I decided that I wanted to keep my fingers and did something else.

#1000 (11.5μm ± 1.0μm) edge with a #6000 (2.0μm ± 0.4μm) apex. Or #240 (57μm ± 3.0μm) edge with a #3000 (4.0μm ± 0.5μm) apex.
Was there something that the #240/#3000 offered that a #1000/#3000 did not?

Was there a noticeable difference in performance or lifespan of apex wear?
Is the wear of the #3k more often the "teeth" laying over, or chipping off?

240/3000 is simply faster to finish and offers the potential for increased edge retention over 1000/6000. Realistically, I have not noted a difference in edge retention in accordance to how I use the knife. What I have noted is that 4V (with both the original EDC geometry and the geometry that I have applied) will always chip and never roll.

Back