Random Thought Thread

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ever tried hard OJ?

When I was a kid, we used to have OJ and milk with breakfast. One day, at the store, we see a different brand of OJ "with pulp". "Hey mom, can we try this one?" "Sure, put it in the cart", so we get a couple cartons.

Next morning, we each have a glass, take a sip, "Oof, what IS this stuff. It's got a bite to it". Can't chug the stuff, only sip it. Well, it's definitely different, and it's got bits of pulp in it.

Over the next few days, we decided, "Hey, this stuff is different, but we kinda like it. Has a bit of a kick to it".

We go back to the store and get more. The new cartons are just regular OJ with pulp...... "Ohhhh...."
😂

I had that same experience as a kid with apple cider mom bought from a road stand in the mountains. Have tried to duplicate it many times with no success...

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
Ever tried hard OJ?

When I was a kid, we used to have OJ and milk with breakfast. One day, at the store, we see a different brand of OJ "with pulp". "Hey mom, can we try this one?" "Sure, put it in the cart", so we get a couple cartons.

Next morning, we each have a glass, take a sip, "Oof, what IS this stuff. It's got a bite to it". Can't chug the stuff, only sip it. Well, it's definitely different, and it's got bits of pulp in it.

Over the next few days, we decided, "Hey, this stuff is different, but we kinda like it. Has a bit of a kick to it".

We go back to the store and get more. The new cartons are just regular OJ with pulp...... "Ohhhh...."
😂
Brings to mind when I was a kid building models of military airplanes and submarines and such...telling my mother about the "funny headaches" I got while gluing them together. She didn't put it together for years.

Some years later they stopped selling that glue to minors and, if I recall correctly, changed the formula.

I had no idea it was the same stuff the older guys were huffing on the handball courts at the schoolyard.

Burke

Gold Member
I had that same experience as a kid with apple cider mom bought from a road stand in the mountains. Have tried to duplicate it many times with no success...
When I was a kid I used to like the unpasteurized cider we’d get from a local orchard once the jug would start to puff up a bit and it would carbonate a little.

trevitrace

Gold Member
I'd buy you an ice cold one of these bad boys if you're ever in my neck of the woods.

KCuiSdP.jpg

😁

Last edited:

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
My grandfather handed me a can of Ballantine beer for a sip at my aunt's wedding when I was three. I punched him in the belly when he took it back.
(My parents had the moment captured on my father's 8mm movie camera.)

I think it was an uh-oh moment for my parents. 😂

Oh, and I adored my grandfather, and there's hardly a day I don't miss him in the nearly 60 years since he's been gone.

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
I very specifically did not "like" this post

And yet you didn't give it a thumbs down with the "Like" button.

😂

BF reminds me of something I said to a colleague like 3-4 decades ago when I was in Corporate America at a giant behemoth company. All a bunch of yes-men. In a world without "No" then "Yes" doesn't mean a damn thing.

Oh, and I gave your post a :thumbsup:.

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
I'm not a wheat beer devotee... but I will say that Allagash makes a fine one. I had bought it for my wife who enjoys wheat beer, and I was impressed with it,,,and surprised. (Not something I would keep on hand regularly, however.)

masonry-allagash-white-02.jpg

Wow!! I could have written that post. THAT was the citrus flavored Belgian wheat beer I saw at Costco, and I bought it for my wife, too, as that is exactly her favorite style of beer - citrus infused/flavored Belgian wheat beers. There are still a couple in the fridge.

Now I had to drink one first, for research purposes of course 😂. And I was pleasantly surprised! Like you, it's not something I would keep on hand regularly, but if offered one at somebody else's place, I would happily consume it.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
Brings to mind when I was a kid building models of military airplanes and submarines and such...telling my mother about the "funny headaches" I got while gluing them together. She didn't put it together for years.

Some years later they stopped selling that glue to minors and, if I recall correctly, changed the formula.

I had no idea it was the same stuff the older guys were huffing on the handball courts at the schoolyard.
Wow.... flashback...

Yeah. The skinny little tubes of clear, sweet-smelling glue. I thought it was just the sweet smell I liked, until I was older and learned a little more 😂