Random thoughts from GVI....

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Platinum Member
Just to be clear...while I have clarified why the lotteries exist, I don't often participate, for many of the reasons Dudley listed....and I often get knives from makers who do hold lotteries because I have been a loyal customer for many, many years.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

RL

STeven, we don't know one another, but I've always enjoyed your commentary, and have been around the knife making industry for over 25 years. I would be interested in your comments regarding the lottery systems being used at The Gathering and other shows?

Many of the buyers appeared to really enjoy this method, and spent a great deal of time placing their bids with various makers. It even appears that they are reluctant to purchase knives which are readily available, preferring to opt for a lottery than put their money right down then and there and secure the knife.

As the Show goes on this results in a lot of the knife makers having knives held in limbo waiting for the lottery, and a lot of potential buyers waiting for the outcome is of various lotteries (with cash in their pockets). As the Show winds down and potential buyers lose out on their lottery draws a scramble begins as they desperately seek something to purchase with their now unspent money burning a hole in their pocket!

I can't help but think that there must be a better way for both parties involved, the knife makers, and the enthusiasts.

I would be interested in your comments in this regard, particularly since you have far more experience at seeing this first-hand.

a very astute post..i never really thought of it that way but you are exactly right..i was at the Gathering 5 last year (shameless plug: I posted a review with 300+ pics on USN) and i did exactly what you said..i cracked and bought a Starlingear ring but held off on buying knives till after the lotteries...at which point almost all the knives i wanted were gone.

RL

Kevin Jones

Gold Member
With that said, STeven, I HATE Lotteries and it has all but ruined knifeshows for me. :(

I come to buy, not stand around waiting for my phone to ring or my number to be called.....plus I don't enjoy standing in the middle of a raucous crowd hooting and hollering.

I know, I'm an old fart probably too set in my ways, but I've always enjoyed a relationship with the Maker other than for the time I get jostled around waiting for the Lottery to start or handing over my hard-earned $$$'s.This has kept me from even approaching Makers of knives that I would like to have because they aren't taking orders, I can't buy one off of their table without the aforementioned BS, and I absolutely refuse to pay Secondary Market prices that are f'n ridiculous.
That is all..... :)

Dudley, I agree. I guess us old farts think alike. ;)

Alpha Knife Supply

Always Innovating
Dealer / Materials Provider
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
MS Tom Ferry also sold out. He is strictly first come, first serve. No lotteries. This has worked very well for him.

Chuck

Dudley, I agree. I guess us old farts think alike. ;)

So do mid range farts. I don't care for them. I enjoyed winning the Emerson lottery once or twice but the prices were low and the knives were more attainable due to quantity. I think lotteries are just annoying as a show attendee.

I'm not old either, and agree - I don't really like lotteries. Much prefer to build a relationship with the maker and buy when it's my turn.

Thanks for the detailed write, up, STeven! Much appreciated!

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around ANYONE going to a custom knife show, ESPECIALLY a fellow 'maker' not know who RJ Martin was.

Insanity...

I guess some of the 'kids' only know the makers who have USN subforums.

Well, in an interview, Garth Brooks did not know who Jane Pauley was.
true story.
The times, they are a changing...

Use the Google, please. ^
Was Bob Dozier at the show?
I have a Dozier K9 incoming and my knife buying days are over. It's gotten crazy in knifeland.
rolf

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Platinum Member
Use the Google, please. ^
Was Bob Dozier at the show?
I have a Dozier K9 incoming and my knife buying days are over. It's gotten crazy in knifeland.
rolf

I didn't see him, and he wasn't on the attendance list, so I will say, "no".

I had a couple of Doziers and sold them....the lack of tapered tang/distal taper and handling characteristics of a sharpened pry bar just didn't work for me....ymmv.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thank you, Steven.
The Dozier ergo's and blade finish, are right up my alley. And, his Kydex is perfect.
rolf

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Platinum Member
Thank you, Steven.
The Dozier ergo's and blade finish, are right up my alley. And, his Kydex is perfect.
rolf

The ergos are arguable, the finish is a belt satin....talk about setting a low bar...

Kydex sucks....the ONLY application where kydex is warranted is in a neck knife..

There is a reason that Paul Long makes the best sheaths....they are leather....that is all.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven65

Traditional Hog
Platinum Member
The Gathering in Las Vegas IS THE Tactical show of the year....period.

Matt, Joseph, and I went to the Pampas Grill for dinner on Saturday night.....overpriced, lousy service and the food sucked! We will not be going back.

Had such a good time at the show, didn't want to leave on Sunday.....that is the mark of a great show! Will be back next year for sure!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven it was good to see you at the show and spend some time. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Planet Hollywood……..I will not be staying there again.

If I am there next year I will take you, Joe and Matt for dinner somewhere better. I have just the place.

As the Show goes on this results in a lot of the knife makers having knives held in limbo waiting for the lottery, and a lot of potential buyers waiting for the outcome is of various lotteries (with cash in their pockets). As the Show winds down and potential buyers lose out on their lottery draws a scramble begins as they desperately seek something to purchase with their now unspent money burning a hole in their pocket!

Hilton this is exactly correct. Andre van Heerden and I discussed this at length and indeed this very thing happened to me. I had cash set aside for lottery knives and when they never transpired I took it home with me.

I thought that a good solution to this is that all the lotteries should be held on the first day and on the second day the makers should sell directly off their tables.

With that said, STeven, I HATE Lotteries and it has all but ruined knifeshows for me. :(
I come to buy, not stand around waiting for my phone to ring or my number to be called.....plus I don't enjoy standing in the middle of a raucous crowd hooting and hollering.
I know, I'm an old fart probably too set in my ways, but I've always enjoyed a relationship with the Maker other than for the time I get jostled around waiting for the Lottery to start or handing over my hard-earned $$$'s.
This has kept me from even approaching Makers of knives that I would like to have because they aren't taking orders, I can't buy one off of their table without the aforementioned BS, and I absolutely refuse to pay Secondary Market prices that are f'n ridiculous.
That is all..... :)

I have to agree with you on that. It is especially frustrating when you fly 26 hours from the other side of the planet. I won no lotteries so if not for the fact that I purchased a knife as the show opened I would have gone home essentially empty handed.
As a collector it frustrates me as a knife I would like to have in my collection gets won by someone who in many cases does not want it and puts it up for sale on a forum within hours.

I really enjoyed the show and the trip to Vegas but it is hard to justify the travelling expense when buying what you want is so hard.