1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Rare 1981 Blue Micarta 305 Clipper

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by DeSotoSky, Jun 11, 2019.

1. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    This description of a 305 Clipper is wrong in so many ways I wouldn't know where to begin. Sometimes I wonder if the seller really does not know or is it is a deliberate attempt to make the ordinary extraordinary.

THIS ONE IS KNOWN AS BUCK'S CONFUSION KNIFE..BECAUSE OF THE X..TO DATE THIS KNIFE YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND & KNOW BUCKS HISTORY OF WHEN BUCK STOPPED USING MICARTA SCALES AND STARTED USING DELRIN SAW CUT SCALES..THE 305X IS A 1990 LANCER ..AND THE 305S IS A 1990 CLIPPER..THE 305 X IS A 1981 "CLIPPER"...HA THE X FACTOR..
    PRESENTING THE 1981 BUCK 305 X USA CLIPPER FOLDING DOUBLE CROSS... SWISS ARMY STYLE KNIFE IN AMAZING CONDITION!!!
    THE KNIFE IS 3" LONG CLOSED WITH TWO BLADES 1.75" & SCISSORS 1.5" LONG...WITH 45 DEGREE NICKLE SILVER BOLSTERS AND NICKLE SILVER SHIELD...BLUE MICARTA SCALES AND NON RUST BRASS LINERS AND PINS WITH STAINLESS STEEL BACK SPRINGS...AND A KEY RING ... THE BUCK IS IN EXCELLENT MINT CONDITION...NEVER BEEN USED AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. THE BLADES HAVE A FACTORY EDGE POLISHED TO A MIRROR FINISH...
    EXCELLENT CONDITION...CONSISTENT WITH ITS AGE OF OVER 38 YEARS...

305.Clipper.eBay.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    my favorite part is the factory edge polished to a mirror finish...

it's done on purpose, they are trying to dupe anyone they can into paying top dollar. its disgraceful behavior. I'm gonna stop with that....

DeSotoSky and Tecate like this.
  3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I looked at a few of this guy's listings. They're all hyperactive, but basically factual. His pricing strategy is nuts, but he's not alone.

I think it's likely that he's enthusiastically repeating what he's been told. Let's see if he edits his listing.

DeSotoSky likes this.
  4. gedlicks

gedlicks Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Wow! I have 2 of these ultra rare blue clippers. Lucky me.

After all, the seller is the harmonica king. He really does know how to play a tune.

DeSotoSky and Tecate like this.
  5. DeSotoSky

Mar 21, 2011
    I wondered if anyone else would catch that.
    He had me with the blue micarta.....
    Hopefully Craig will stop in and unconfuse us.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    jbmonkey likes this.
  6. bucklife301

bucklife301 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    I have one but it’s a 305 V does that mean it ain’t micarta dang it 7BA25FB8-71BF-4EAA-8038-174A8F35424D.jpeg

7. DeSotoSky

Mar 21, 2011
    The listing has been edited, it is no longer the rare 1981 version. Who talked?
    I think the price went up also, I could have sworn it was $99 yesterday, now $149....wrong way.

8. gedlicks

Jun 15, 2012
    I also like the fact that he describes it as excellent condition yet the pictures show it is actually a bit dinged up and looks like it has been scrubbed clean with steel wool or something.

Yes Roger the price has changed since this morning. Someone must have said something to him.

9. bucklife301

Nov 3, 2018
    It still says micarta

10. bucklife301

Nov 3, 2018
    Since y’all are talking about these mine is missing the little blue peace in the handle that keeps the scissors from closing so far in the handle and it’s hard to get them open is there anything I can do about that 08CDBD41-4713-4945-82CB-FCE761C4EEB7.jpeg

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I just received this from the seller:

OK GOT IT CHANGED FOR YOU...ALTHOUGH YOU ARE INCORRECT ON THIS ONE BUT
    THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WILL EVER PERSUADE YOU OTHERWISE...I KNOW WHAT BUCK
    USED BLACK MACARITA ON THEIR 119 SERIES..FIXED BLADE ALONG WITH SEVERAL
    OTHER KNIVES DURING THAT TIME BUT IF YOU WANT IT TO BE DELRIN ..YOU GOT
    IT...THERE WAS NO SMOOTH DELRIN ONLY SAWCUT AND SMOOTH MACARITA WERE USED
    ON THEIR KNIVES AT THAT TIME...I KNOW THE LITTLE BUCK TANG STAMP CHART AND
    ON THE LIMITED CHART THEIR IS NO 305S FOR SCISSORS IN 1990 AND 305 X FOR
    SCISSORS FOR 1981...ARE YOU NOW GOING TO SAY BUCK DIDN'T MAKE A SCISSORS
    UNTIL 1990? BUT I'LL SELL IT AS A 1990 IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY..I KNOW IT'S
    NOT BUT THAT'S OK..THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT..RIGHT...
    REGARDS..
    Regards...

Pretty impressive!

bucklife301 likes this.
  12. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    all caps and pretty angry response to a potential buyer....... says a whole lot.

sassafrassdogs3 and Lesknife like this.
  13. bucklife301

Nov 3, 2018

14. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    When I see a Ebay seller with something obviously wrong (like a 112 listed as a 110) I used to drop a note to them..but no more. A seller had one of the complete fake auto 112's represented as a rare factory model got angry and threatened to report me lol! I try to never argue with a fool..

sassafrassdogs3 and jbmonkey like this.
  15. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2014
    I know of no such part that keeps the clipper from closing into the well entirely. My clipper had no such part. I gifted it to a youngster so I can't check it. I looked for photos of it closed, but apparently dumped them.

This is my smooth black "Micarta" 305 clipper w/ '89 date

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gedlicks

Jun 15, 2012
    Bucklife301 - I suggest posting a picture of what you are talking about and maybe I can help by looking at mine. I am not sure what it is yours is missing that would be blue.

17. bucklife301

Nov 3, 2018
    I posted a picture it’s post number 10 . Nice micarta MT_Pokt

18. gedlicks

Jun 15, 2012
    Sorry bucklife, I didn't look back at the prior posts. So here is a picture of mine showing the blue piece bucklife is talking about. I would ask Buck if anything can be done.
    When folding the sizzor's it keeps them from folding up too deep in the blade well. The little blue piece is just on the one side so the knife blade itself does not hit it. The piece is the same color as the scales.
    You could pretty much epoxy anything in there on the one side I guess.

[​IMG]

19. bucklife301

Nov 3, 2018
    Thanks is it attached to the handle or is it a piece of the handle and mine just broke off

20. J Hubbard

J Hubbard Moderator Moderator

Mar 29, 2001
    If I remember right, that was part of the molded handle and went through a hole in the liner. We wouldn't be able to fix that.

gedlicks and sassafrassdogs3 like this.