RAT-1 can't be beat.

I'm passionate about knives and have a bunch - too many should truth be told. I've got a gaggle (way too many, honestly) Emersons and have owned a bunch of Sebenzas in various iterations though I like my current 25 a bunch. I like me my Cold Steel Voyagers and could not live without the Spyderco Salt Series knives.

All that being said, I have a few RAT-1s in tried and true AUS-8 or D2 and after breaking down a bunch of cardboard today with a garage cleaning I cannot help but to appreciate the ergos and value of the RAT-1. I was using one of my AUS-8 beaters and have to tell you, I was very pleased! The RAT-1 has comfortable and efficient ergos as well as performance that punches well above its price point weight. When you consider the cost, a RAT-1 is almost as good as folders costing ten times as a much and, IMHO, as good as those costing four or five times as much.

Man it is crazy, I was just thinking about doing this exact same post. I have own rat folders but not in the last 10 years. Recently I bought one of the rat 1d to carbon fiber limited edition knives and it completely blew me away. the fit and finish on the knife is excellent. A perfectly centered blade and the thing that shocks me the most is how perfect the detent is and how smooth the opening is on this rat 1. I have moved into the med tech line of knives (hinderer sebenza emerson)and I've bought a few that should be talking to Jeff Randall about how to do detent and how a pocket knife should open.. This rat 1 reminded me that you don't have to spend 3 and $400 to get a quality knife. Thank you to Jeff Randall and ontario for making this quality knife and thank you Salty for starting this thread.

I really get tired of seeing threads like this get stormed by people that "would totally buy the rat-1/2 if only it had, different scale material, different ergos, different blade steel, etc." people need to understand not everyone can afford sebenzas, hinderer, busse, all the big names that are just outrageously priced. The rat-1/2 is an amazing knife for $30.00. You just can't beat it. I get that there are other blades out there that are far superior to it, but not within my price range. And definitely not being offered at what the rats are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just said four days ago on a community post that Rat 1 is the best cost-benefit for life. Couldn´t agree more with Salty.

Rat 2 is 1 better ! It really is, so much better pocket fit. Rat 2 in the pocket, Rat 1 on the molle w/ the Black Rock Hunter, on the Bug Out bag.
P_20160310_153931_zpsc4gto0hi.jpg

Look how perfect it looks in the middle.
P_20160427_203739_zpswurodscl.jpg

I really get tired of seeing threads like this get stormed by people that "would totally buy the rat-1/2 if only it had, different scale material, different ergos, different blade steel, etc." people need to understand not everyone can afford sebenzas, hinderer, busse, all the big names that are just outrageously priced. The rat-1/2 is an amazing knife for $30.00. You just can't beat it. I get that there are other blades out there that are far superior to it, but not within my price range. And definitely not being offered at what the rats are.

I agree with you on the rat 1. I have a D2 version that I think is great especially for the price. I will disagree with you on the big names you mentioned being outrageously priced. They are priced according to the labor, materials and craftsmanship that goes in to them. It seemed outrageous to me too at first, however the more I bought and used knives, the more research I did, the more I worked at my craft.......made it easier to comprehend (and afford) those prices.

RAT-1 is a great knife. I borrowed one from a friend to get a feel for it and it performed very well and felt great in the hand, but just didn't sit well in the pocket for me. I ended up going with an ESEE Avispa for the slimmer profile. Basically as similar to a RAT-1 as I could find for the same budget.

If you feel better with a framelock, check out the ESEE Avispa...

Very similar to the RAT1 and also available with a D2 blade on Blade HQ. It's a little slimmer and a little lighter, but very similar.

Does anyone make a deep-carry pocket clip for the Rat 1 & 2? That's one that that has kept me from trying out one of these.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on the Rat 1. It's an outstanding knife. I have to admit, I like AUS-8 blade steel on knives at this price point. No, it doesn't hold an edge nearly as long as the S110V on my Manix 2, but it takes an extremely keen edge that is easily restored with just a few quick passes on the strop.

The Rat 1 does everything I need an EDC knife to do...and in my opinion, it looks cool too.

Does anyone make a deep-carry pocket clip for the Rat 1 & 2? That's one that that has kept me from trying out one of these.

I think they use the same spacing and screw pattern as Benchmade. If so, BM offers a great deep carry clip. Just call and ask for one. They will mail you one for free.

Or, send me your address and I will drop one in the mail next time I am at the post office

Thanks Sabre Cat for your generous offer! Let me get my hands on a Rat-1 first, then I'll get in touch. :thumbup:

The problem is, the deep pocket clips used to have the same price as the entire RAT 1 hehehe.

Had to jump in with a comment on the Rat 1. After many years of reading this forum and the many, many folks singing the high praises of the Rat 1 I finally picked one up a few months ago. High expectations exceeded! Easily, the best value in my modest collection. I want to go buy another one, just for the satisfaction of it :).

The biggest threat to a pocket knife is loss ... not materials failure, mechanism failure or other design and execution related failure but loss.

The best way to mitigate against that threat is by minimizing acquisition cost. In minimizing acquisition costs you will sacrifice performance, durability, reliability and pride of ownership.

The RAT-1 (and RAT-2) provides the most value the context of these opposing yet related criteria. They perform, are durable, reliable, affordable and nobody is embarrassed to own them. me thinks they're a winner!

Rat 2 is 1 better ! It really is, so much better pocket fit. Rat 2 in the pocket, Rat 1 on the molle w/ the Black Rock Hunter, on the Bug Out bag.
P_20160310_153931_zpsc4gto0hi.jpg

Look how perfect it looks in the middle.
P_20160427_203739_zpswurodscl.jpg
Cool display guy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cool display guy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah...That's some 'Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' right there, Lol :)

-I also agree with the o.p., excellent knives...I own the Rat 1 & 2, both 'knice' knives ...oops, looks like I just made up a fitting word :rolleyes: I own the black on black, the Rat 1 is a C.E. & the 2 is a plain edge. To the question regarding the Rat Clones, I ended up taking a chance on two of them, because I liked the Orange & the Camo. handled ones.
They both seem fairly decent, especially at the pricepoint paid. I did, however, notice some obvious differences between the two, (supposed identical Rat 1 models) They do feel pretty good in hand, w/G-10 scales. The two blades were nice, but not the same shape, as
eachother, the pivot screws were two dif. sizes, & one had solid steel liners, while the other was slotted :confused:
The thumb jimping was more back-angled /jagged :thumbdn: than 'the real mcoy'
The blade etch is okay, although subtle dif. again between the two. They both came in
authentic appearing boxes, although not w/o subtle dif., as well.
I have yet to carry / use them to really convey any opinion in that respect, however. B.T.B.

Last edited:
I agree 110%, not that it makes any difference. LOL

Back