RAT-1 can't be beat.

nbv1.jpg

The Ontario/ESEE folders by BRK are the best build quality out there for budget folders. In particular, their grinds are amazing. However...

Does anyone else have problems with the ergonomics on the Rat-1?
I'm not trying to trash the knife, but I always find myself reaching for something else.

To me, it feels great in a saber grip, with thumb on the ramp, but this is not the only way I hold a knife. If I try to grip it any other way it feels awkward and unstable. The deep index choil wants my finger to rest in only one place, the inch + space between finger and cutting edge impairs control and leverage, and the weird offset of the blade puts the cutting edge at an awkward angle to my hand. The same I found to be true with the Rat-2, but to a 20% lesser degree.

Looking at the Avispa, it seems that these problems have been addressed; while the handles on the Rat-1 and the Avispa appear at first glance to be identical, close inspection (of internet pics) reveals that the choil is shallower, the cutting edge closer, and the blade straighter on the Avispa. Can anyone comment on this who owns both?

The Zancudo was the answer to my wish for a better Rat-2 (which is the size of knife I carry most); The rat-1 can be beat, and I hope the Avispa is the knife that beats it.

Just got my carbon/d2 in the mail. Very impressed at the price point.
Polished the frame, drilled out some holes to reduce weight(almost 1oz), and put a benchmade deep carry.
f648f9496ac6a4bce136ae98c5a1522e.jpg

511c7cc4a8763e2ae3c019481e5c69a2.jpg

0c5026ef6baae513d58752f0f6aab6dc.jpg

Last edited:
Back