1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ratmandu...Just Right

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by SevenOfNine, Jan 4, 2017.

1. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    What do you guys think?

The Ratmandu was my very first Busse experience, so it holds a special place. I still love it & use it today. It was just the perfect size blade for me, right thickness, tough as nails, and I love the profile/look of it. Handle fits great for my hands but also in a man's larger hand, like most Busse handles.

I recently got a new Ratmandu over the summer - July 2016 I received it. They streamlined it ever-so-slightly from the original version and it really works in its favor. We're talking minute adjustments. Blade height reduced a hair and a tad less "belly" to it. The original was a bit heavier, stockier in-hand. While I do love both, I do enjoy the look and feel of the "upgrade."

2. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Oh yeah the Ratmandu is a winner for sure !!! I may just as well go order one now, what's one more lol
    Great knife !! !!

3. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Lol great multi-purpose and doesn't cost a lot either...another great thing about it

4. MAD777

MAD777

Aug 3, 2011
    I have one myself. It's probably the most comfortable knife I own, when my grip is choked up using the finger choil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    My first Bussekin as well. One of the greats for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Nice! Mine is desert sage / tan handles. Have better pics just not uploaded yet, so here's what I have saved to start. Definitely one of my favorites of all that I own or have ever owned. Very comfortable.

My Du.jpg AmberDu.jpg

7. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Thanks for the great responses, I was trying to breathe life back into the Swamp Rat forum. Swamp Rat is totally underrated these days. Busse Combat gets all the fun/posts.

8. Binalith

Binalith

Apr 22, 2012
    I'd love to see one about 3/4 to an inch smaller all the way around. that would be a the perfect edc I think.

9. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    That's 'cause Bravado has taken time off the forum

10. Dicko

Dicko

Dec 28, 2014
    I had one for a little while and sold it to finance another Bussekin to try.

It's on my list of must haves now - sure is a sweet knife!

Regards,
    Dicko.

11. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    If you're looking actively, you could probably find one on the Exchange here for a good deal. Not that they're expensive (especially compared to it's sibling Bussekin) but I've seen a ton of them come & go regularly here.

12. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Mine lives beside the couch.......always within arms reach. Great for kitchen work as well!!! Love it!

13. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Oh yeah, I think it's a good size, good shape, good handle, everything. Reminds me I need to get photos of mine.

14. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Its the only Busse/Kin I have left. My only complaints are the handle is a bit to thin and I don't feel a blade this size needs a choil.

15. WLJ4163

WLJ4163 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2006
    My Go To blade..I have 4!

16. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    My first as well and as of yesterday, my first stripper!

17. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Yeah, you know at first I thought the same about the handle being a tad thin when I just held it a few times. But, after using it I think it actually fits for the rest of the knife's proportions. Maybe because my hands are smaller, being a woman, but it seems just right for me. Only thing that could make it better would be if it had more of a curve to it, like the handle on the SHE2 CG.

The choil I don't mind, I think it looks good. I am actually glad it has a choil because it makes things much easier for sharpening. I don't like when no-choil blades just trail off directly to the handle without at least a little "sharpening choil/notch" put in between.

18. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Love mine, have an infidu as well. It fits the hand well, even my friends with larger hands like it for controlability

19. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    I just have stupid hands, long fingers but a narrow palm. Mine was a gift so its not going anywhere but as soon as the custom shop starts taking new orders I will likely get some liners put on it.

I have also thought about trying out a Beefmandu to see if the 1/4 inch stock helps.

20. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Lol I understand...I think that would be a great idea on both counts - liners could probably fatten up the Ratmandu a bit for you since it doesn't have a "swell" in the middle like some of the other hand-filler Busses. I'm hoping that CS gets open soon, I have a job or two that I've been dying to get done for the past year & change.

I'm not too familiar with the Beefmandu other than what I've seen/read the specs online. Never seen or held one in person so I can't give you much advice on that one. From what I've read, I do think it would be an option worth thinking about for the thicker stock but still keeps it in the 'Mandu' family.